Search Unity

Question Update animation sprites?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Holonet, Oct 31, 2020.

1. Holonet

Holonet

I was wondering if it's possible to update the individual sprites of a given animation without recreating the animation. From the art perspective, particularly a terrible art perspective, I put in placeholders or crap graphics often to get things going, at least, and then I can always go back later and improve the asset(s).

However, with animations, this is kind of a PITA to my eyes. It's not "that" terrible, but can get sorta that way with any complexity of animations. The only way I know to do it now is to ditch the original sprite sheet, then drag my updated one into Unity (and slice it as done originally).

** At this point, the assets that were using the original sprite sheet break, whether they are named identically or not. **

So, the only way I see to do it is to recreate the animations. This isn't SO bad, but then I need to remember and recreate any animation EVENTS, and make sure I holler at the same script, etc... This is where it can get unpleasant, depending on the complexity of the animation.

Anyone know a better way?

2. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

The only built in way I know of is to open the Animation window and replace each of the Sprite frames one by one which is obviously pretty tedious.

But I'm currently working on adding some tools to Animancer (link in my signature) for working with Sprite animations and one of the features lets you remap the sprites used in an animation:

upload_2020-11-2_13-17-34.png

I plan on releasing it for testing in the next few days, but it will be a Pro-Only feature so it will only be available to people who have already bought Animancer Pro.