Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[UPDATE - 1.4] Shape Logic Nodes For Archimatix

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RuinsOfFeyrin, Jun 6, 2017.

1. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

ShapeList_Header.png

Hello Everyone,

So I am pleased to announce that Shape Logic Nodes for Archimatix is now available on the asset store!

What is Shape Logic Nodes for Archimatix?
    Shape Logic Nodes for Archimatix is a set of add-on nodes that allows you to perform basic logic operations on Archimatix's most core element, Shapes. These new nodes allow you to create even more dynamic models then previously possible by allowing you to change and alter the basic shapes sections of a models graph are based on.

Note: All nodes in this pack are compaitable with 1.0.4 and the upcoming 1.0.5 version of Archimatix, and fully support the run-time capabilities that will be present in 1.0.5 allowing you to expose the logic control properties to the model in run time environment.

Note: This Asset Requires you to own a copy of Archimatix

Included Nodes:

Shape List Node
    The shape list node allows you add multiple shapes as input properties, and outputs a "ShapeList" that can be linked into other nodes from this pack that require a Shape List input. The Shape List Node can also act as a Shape Selector by using its Default Shape property and linking its output into any node that would normally take a shape instead of a shape list.

Shape List Selector
    The shape list selector node can take multiple Shape List Nodes as input, and allow you to select which one of them is sent to its output via a control parameter on the node. This allows you to create groupings of shapes which can be switched between and then feed in to another node which is expecting a Shape List such as a Shape Selector.
    Shape Selector Node
    The shape selector node takes a Shape List as its input and allows you to select which shape you would like to use from the provided Shape List allowing you to quickly change the basic shapes a model is built off of by simply changing the nodes Selected Shape ID. The Shape Selector node also allows you to randomize its output so that instead of the "Selected Shape" parameter selecting a particular index from the Shape List, it acts as a seed for a random number generator outputting a different random item from the list based depending on the control parameter.
    Shape Toggle Node
    The shape toggle node allows you to toggle a shape on and off, but not in the same way that the Enabled property that exists on all nodes does.

What shape toggle does is take a shape as its input, and basically redirects that same shape to its output, assuming that the On/Off control parameter is enabled. This allows you to turn on and off individual links in the graph as opposed to the whole node, and by doing so only turning off sections. This is particularly useful if you have several components based off one shape and wish to toggle them on and off individually.

Shape List Repeater

The Shape List Repeater Node takes a Shape List as its input, and repeats that list in a variety of ways based on its control parameters. The Shape List Repeater is able to perform linear, 2D step, and 2D Radial repetitions of items in the list allowing you create a variety of looks by simply changing a few parameters. The Shape List Repeater is also able to select shapes randomly from its Shape List Provider if that "random" option is enabled, allowing you create a more "organic" look to your repetitions.
    Improved Basic Shape Node (COMPLETED, WILL BE IN NEXT UPDATE GOING UP TONIGHT!)
    The improved basic shape node allows you to draw complex paths using Archimatix's Turtle script in a single node. A single shapes Turtle Script can contain definitions for both shape outlines, as well as cutouts. This means you no longer need to create multiple shapes then use a Shape Merger to combine them to create shapes with holes in them before feeding them in to an Extrude Node.
    Upcoming Nodes:

Shape List Grid Repeater
    The Shape List Grid Repeater takes a Shape List as its input an allows you to repeat the contents of that Shape List over a grid defined in the control parameters. You are able to have the repeater select items from the list randomly to create a more organic look as well.
    Shape List Plan Repeater
    The Shape List Plan Repeater takes a Shape List as well as a shape to use as its plan as its inputs and allows you to repeat the contents of that Shape List around the plan. The Shape List Plan repeater is able to randomize its selection from the Shape List just like the other tools.

Screen Shots - What you all really want to see!

The below screen shots are of a simple graph that makes use of the basic Shape List Node, as well as the output that is Achieved simply by switching the Default Shape parameter on the Shape List node. By switching the control parameter the base shape that is used in the plan sweep is changed creating an entirely different looks. Imagine the possibilities with Archimatix's Runtime capabilities!

By Making these changes at the most basic level, shapes, you also eliminate the need for extra nodes and graph links as you no longer need a separate plansweep for each possible model and you do not have to link the material to multiple plan sweeps.

graph_000.png
    ShapeList_page_000.png

Videos - Brief Videos going over each node and what they do.

Available In Unity's Asset Store Now
    Link: Shape Logic Nodes For Archimatix
    Price: The price on the package is an introductory price and will be going up in the next couple weeks when I finish the rest of the nodes, I did however want to get these nodes out there for people to use so I could get feedback for improvements or feature requests. So early adopters get to reap the rewards of getting the package at a discount.

If you would like to see a sample of some other nodes I have created for Archimatix please check out my FREE Logic Nodes Basic Unity package. I published it to the Archimatix thread a few weeks ago, and am currently in the process of putting it up as its own free asset download on the unity store.

Support:

Forum: I have setup a forum for my Logic Node Packages that are coming out on the AXResources site. Login Node Forums
    Slack : There is also a #logicnodes channel on the AXResources slack site. You may join the AXResources slack team by using THIS LINK. I can usually be found on there, or on the official Archimatix slack channel most days/nights.

Hope everyone enjoys these and finds them as useful as I have. If you have any questions, comments, or other feedback I would love to hear it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    punk and awesomedata like this.
  2. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This is nice to see the Archimatix third party support continue to grow. Keep up the good work.

3. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

Here is a short video of the Shape List node from this pack being used at run time allowing a player to change the basic shape of the building.

Two small scripts make this possible.

The first script is on the AXModel itself which generates the GUI with the slider and updates the model if the slider is moved and allows adjusting

The second script is attached to each of the box game objects and is set to change the "Default Shape ID" of the Shape List to a specific value (settable from the inspector) when the box is clicked.

@longroadhwy - Thanks, I appreciate it, hopefully everyone enjoys these nodes, and the upcoming ones as much as I have.

pixelsteam and neoshaman like this.
  4. awesomedata

awesomedata

This is incredibly useful @RuinsOfFeyrin -- It's a no-brainer purchase for me, especially when I consider that I often need to set up a complex model where I only need to swap out the shape of the floorplans and such. Those parts are nothing more than inputs for shape arrangements, and this makes the process for replacing them super-fast!

Combining this with runtime AX, it makes level editing for both me and my players a breeze.

Great job man!

I can't wait until I get a chance to use this alongside something for 3d extruded text too! :D

5. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey @awesomedata ,

This is exactly the reason I came up with the shape logic nodes for stuff like switching out floor plans while maintaing the rest of the graph.

Thank you for the kind words, and Im glad you like them.

awesomedata likes this.
  6. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give you all an update on the updates coming to the Shape Logic Nodes pack, much of which is based off of feedback from those of you who have already purchased the package.

1) The background color for non Unity Pro users of the nodes has been changed to a lighter color to help the Text stand out on the node more.

2) All the nodes now have nice new graphics for their thumbnails instead of the horrible white backgrounds with black text.
    Shapes_banner.png

3) Performance Fixes - It was noted by some of the users they were experiencing a slight bit of lag when some nodes where in their graphs. This issue has been tracked down and fixed and all nodes are now lightning fast.

4) Shape List Repeater Node has been completed. This node takes a shape list as its input and allows you to repeat the list of shapes in a variety of manners based on the control parameters.
    • Repeat items from list in linear or randomized order.
    • Ability to chose if empty entries in the shape list are ignored or treated like an empty entry allowing you to create "gaps" in the repetition.
    • Ability to set a value for both X & Y that is applied each step allowing you to repeat in the X,Y or Both directions at the same time.
    • Control parameters have counterparts expression parameters that override them allowing users to define an expression for each parameter that is evaluated on each step on the repetition allowing you to plug in things like quadratic equations for the step values.
    5) The Improved Shape node has been included in the package. This node allows you to use the Turtle Script in Archimatix to draw complex shapes (shapes with holes) in a single node that can then be feed in any standard node that takes a shape input. This is particular useful for designing shapes like window frames.

6) New Demo Scenes and Library Items are in the works as well. The goal is to create at least 1 scene for each node demonstrating a use case for it, and 1 Library Item that makes use of each node.

I will upload the update to the unity asset store tonight, then just have to wait for them to approve it.

Whats In The Works?
    A "Shape List Spanner" node that allows you to repeat a list of items across a given span of space. This node is similar to the normal shape list repeater with the exception that it purpose is to repeat the list of shapes equidistantly over a specified distance. So instead of having a Step distance, the step distance is calculated by the length of the repetition and the number of items in the list.

"Shape List Grid Repeater" - This is a grid repeater that takes a shape list, and repeats it over the grid. You will be able to control the grid size as well as which way the grid is populated and allow random selection from the list as well.

As always feedback is always appreciated. Hope you all are enjoying the nodes.

mensch-mueller likes this.
  7. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

I'm happy to announce that Version 1.1 of the Shape Logic nodes package has been submitted to the asset store with the previously mentioned changes.

With that I also give you a new "playable" web demo Showcasing the Shape List node..

1.1 Release Image.png

The web demo can be found at http://axresources.com/AXShapeLogicDemo/index.php

Hope you all enjoy, look forward to more videos and demos in the next couple days featuring the Shape List Repeater.

As always any questions, comments or feedback it always welcome.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  8. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I got a notification about the 1.1 update from Unity asset store, downloaded the update to my Unity 5.6.1p3 installation on Mac.... and now get two hard stop errors.

Assets/630Studios/Archimatix Nodes/Shape Logic Nodes/Demo Scripts/ShapeListBox.cs(5,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SixThreeZero' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

Assets/630Studios/Archimatix Nodes/Shape Logic Nodes/Demo Scripts/ShapeListRuntimeDemo.cs(6,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `SixThreeZero' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

In an effort to get things working properly, I tried removing the 630Studios folder and re-installing, to no avail. I also tried quitting and relaunching Unity.... no dice. Any ideas?

9. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

I just removed AX_ImprovedShape.cs from 630Studios/Archimatix Nodes/Shape Logic Nodes at this stage. The others are fine for me!

Cheers Michael

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  10. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey, sorry about the errors. It looks like i was not thinking and I included the scenes that use my runtime script.

Ill fix this an upload a new update right away, though that will take a few days to go through the asset store.

In the mean time you can do the following to fix them manually, it is pretty straight forward and easy.

1) Ill send you a copy of my AX_Runtime script which should fix this, simply put it the project and it should all work.
    2) If you do not wish to use the demo scenes at all, you can simply delete the following folder as it only containts scripts used in the demo scenes.

630Studios\Archimatix Nodes\Shape Logic Nodes\Demo Scripts folder.

Again apologies and I will post a fix to the asset store asap.

In the meantime, i have attached the AX_Runtime.cs file which should fix this issue. Simply place it in your project somewhere.

Attached Files:

11. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

That cleared it up, thanks!

12. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

Whoops, I spoke too soon... a few minutes later another error popped up. I've gone ahead and removed the Demo Scripts folder, that'll work for the time being. Thanks again for the quick response.

13. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to give everyone an update on how things are going with the new nodes.

I posted an update the other day with a fix for the issue with the demo scripts, so that will show up on the asset store sometime this week.

Shape List Grid repeater is done and working, though there are some extra control properties I would like to add to make it a bit more useful. Shape List Spanner is working as well, and just needs some finishing touches as well. I would say another day or so of tinkering and they will be ready to get published to the asset store.

The downside is that I have to leave town for my day job for a few days so I don't expect to get another update pushed to the asset store till Thursday. I have however also been working on a mechanism to allow customers to be able to grab update packages directly from the 630Studios and AXResources websites directly themselves without me having to email you all the package or verify anything, which should also hopefully be going live later this week as well, so thats always a bonus.

14. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Folks,

Just an update. Just got back in to town this morning so im catching up on emails, private messages, and of course real life this morning, however later tonight I will be able to resume my work on everything and hopefully push some new updates out!

15. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Update 1.2
    I will be pushing update 1.2 to the asset store here in the next hour or so.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This will be the last update that is available at $15.00. The next update will see the price increase by $5-$10 dollars depending on how many more new nodes I cram in before that update.

Update Notes
    • NEW Shape List Spanner
    • NEW Shape List Grid Repeater
    • NEW Demo Scenes - Several new demo scenes have been added showing basic usage of the nodes.
    • FIX Improved Shape Node - should work as expected in all situations now.
    • REMOVED - The demo scenes that used my AX_Runtime script have been removed. I Will link them here on the forum tomorrow in their own unity package along with the AX_Runtime script. This way people do not get errors if they do not have my AX_Runtime script installed, but will be able to download it all in one clean package if they want.

ShapeListSpanner.png

ShapeListGridRepeater.png
    ImprovedShape.png

Upcoming Nodes
    • Shape List Aligner - This Will take a list of shapes an combine them aligning their edges.
    • Shape List Plan Repeater - Repeat a list of shapes a long a plan.
    • Shape Splitter - This node will break apart the paths a shape/plan consists of an give you numerous outputs for each section. This will allow you to use sections of one plan, as the input path for other nodes (such as repeats).

In the next couple days I hope to wrap up the Shape List Plan Repeater as well as a couple other special nodes I have in the works.

As always feedback is appreciated.

radimoto and mensch-mueller like this.
  16. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Just wanted to let everyone know that version 1.2 is now live in the asset store!

17. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey folks,

Just an update on things for the Shape Logic Nodes Pack.

It looks like Version 1.0.5 of Archimatix is scheduled to be pushed to the asset store Wednesday (tomorrow), which means once that goes live I have some updated features for the existing nodes that I will push out Immediately once 1.0.5 goes live. This will simply be a functionality update for existing nodes to take full advantage of changes in 1.0.5 and will not include any new nodes, or the previously mentioned price update.

Hope you are all enjoying the nodes!

18. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey Everyone,

Here is the first of several videos to come intended to briefly describing each of the nodes included in this package.
    This video covers the basics of the "Improved Shape" node.

Also, a new update is being pushed to the asset store today.

1.3 Changes
    • NEW NODE - Shape Splitter : This nodes takes a shape as its input parameter and creates individual outputs parameters for each path in the shape. This allows you to use the individual paths from a complex shape in others nodes such as a plan sweeper or other nodes that take a shape input.
    • It fixes a small bug with the Improved Shape node I discovered while doing the demonstration videos.
    • Improved Shape node has two new Outputs. Exterior Paths and Interior Paths.
    • Small updates to take advantages of changes made in AX 1.0.5 and 1.0.6

Screen Shot of the update Improved Shape node, being used with the new Shape Splitter Node.
    ImprovedShapeShapeSplitter.png

As you can see in the screen shot I am feeding Interior Paths output parameter of the Improved Shape node into a Shape Splitters input. The shape splitter automatically generated 3 outputs for each of the paths from the input and i was able to connect those three outputs to a polygon node with each one representing a section of the complex shapes exterior paths.

And finally a little shameless request: If you like the shape logic nodes package please feel free to leave a review. Its the best way to let others know how great they are.

Thanks, hope you all enjoy.

trilobyteme likes this.
  19. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Version 1.3 is now live! Also there was an added bonus snuck in to the shape splitter. In addition to splitting complex paths apart, the shape splitter can take a single path and split it in to its segments. So for example a rectangle input in to a shape splitter would have 4 outputs, 1 for each side of the rectangle.

Im not 100% happy with the splitting of shapes in to their elements as it currently does it for each vertex. In the next release you will be able to supply a "break angle".

20. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Version 1.4 is now live the main thing this release adds in the inclusion of a .obj Exporter!

The next release (since this one was pushed just to include the objExporter) will include the upgraded Shape Splitter that uses a break angle.

Hope you all enjoy.

21. Enoch

Enoch

Not sure if this is the right place to ask. But for your Pro Logic Nodes, Is there anyway the SVG2Turtle scripts to be used at runtime? My use case involves users uploading a SVG and Archmatrix producing 3d versions of those SVG shapes. From the looks of this, it is heavly dependant on the editor. Is it possible to tear the guts of the conversion out and use it at runtime?

22. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Hey @Enoch ,

Here works just fine, though the pro logic node's does have its own thread here.

While there is no direct functionality to import an svg at runtime currently the next update due out later this week/early next week has this in it.

The ability to make this happen now is technically all there under the hood. In the SVGPathImporter.cs file you will find the SVGFile class. This class is useable at run-time. It contains everything you need to parse the svg file, and generate the turtle script from the parsed svg. After that it is simply a matter of setting the code field in an SVGNode with your generated turtle script.

23. SpindizzyGames

SpindizzyGames

can this asset be used to reference the individual objects created by a GridRepeater?

Say I feed a square shape to a grid repeater to create 4 squares. I want to access one of the four squares as a node for further modifications independently of the other 3 squares. Is this possible in standard Archimatix or do I need this asset ?

24. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

Heya @logixworx

Yes this asset can do something KINDA like that, though im not sure its exactly how you want it.

You can access individual shapes, and shape segments from a complex shape by using the shape splitter node.
    This will give you an output for each shape in the complex shape (in this case the grid reapeated shape). This of course means that you can access each shape, but they are no longer a single complex shape like the grid repeater outputs. To play with a single shape from the grid repeater you would feed it into a shape splitter, then use the output for the given sub shape from the grid repeater to further modify that shape with other nodes. You would also however have to take ALL the other outputs from the shape splitter and feed them into a shape merger in order to re combine them into a complex single shape again. So while this works, it sounds like its possibly a bit more leg work then what i would consider optimal.

What you have asked about here has actually outlined a good use case for some expanded functionality and is something i will look into adding into this pack in the next week or so (works been crazy busy).

Thanks for you interest in my work, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask and i will get back to you ASAP.

SpindizzyGames likes this.
  25. SpindizzyGames

SpindizzyGames

That is exactly how I want it. Will keep that in considerationas I am still figuring out the best way to achieve the end result I'm aiming for as there are many ways to skin a cat & some ways are more efficient than others ha

I was also wondering what became of the beta runtime Archimatix node editor? Have you decided on a price yet? I really need this feature for my project :)

26. RuinsOfFeyrin

RuinsOfFeyrin

I actually have not decided how to release this yet. I am torn between including it as a bonus as a master pack, which would allow me to release it pretty much as is, or if i should take the time to try to bring it to full functionality and sell it as a standalone package. The main issue is that AX nodes make heavy use of the EditorGUI ui components some of which there is no run-time equivalent for (such as an animation curve editor), and I have to make runtime version for them. The other issue is keeping the run-time editor "up to date" with changes to AX.

Im pretty busy with work the next couple days, but if you shoot me a PM this weekend I will shoot you over a copy of the runtime editor for you to test and play with if you would be willing to give some feedback on it.

SpindizzyGames likes this.
  27. trilobyteme

trilobyteme

I'm sure you're probably already on top of it, but Pro Tools & Nodes and Shape Logic Nodes broke with the Archimatix Pro 1.2.3 update released on 18 October. Numerous "The type or namespace name `AXGeometryTools' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?" hard stop errors in each asset.

28. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

Did you get a response?

29. awesomedata

awesomedata

He got banned, as far as I know. He and Unity had a bit of a fight.