Search Unity

[Update 1.1] Stacking Loot Labels

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lejean, Nov 18, 2017.

1. lejean

lejean

Hey everyone,

After too many months off work I finally finished my asset and it's now live on the assetstore.

Loot labels is perfect for all your loot based games, and is easy to use and implement!

It gives you to ability to stack all your labels on top of each other to get a clear overview of all the gold and legendary items that a boss just dropped.

Functionalities:
    - Highlighting items
    - Clamping important labels to the camera
    - Changing text color based on rarity
    - Fading out the labels
    - Force show all loot on the screen with the press of a button
    - A loot fountain animation
    - Automatic repositioning

Documentation: Google drive

Here's an video example to see the asset in action

Let me know what you think, and if you have any suggestions of if there's any problems be sure to let me know in the comments or message me.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Gekigengar likes this.
  2. lejean

lejean

Hey everyone,

Working on a big update for the lootlabels asset.

Gonna post some previews soon, but in the meanwhile I made a road map on trello for you the check out.

https://trello.com/b/eUqo4Ixv

Grtz

3. lejean

lejean

Icons option with a rarity circle has been implemented!

Icon preview.png

4. lejean

lejean

Text and Icons can now be switched at runtime.
    Handy if you want to add this to your game's interface settings.

Desktop 12.14.2017 - 18.47.53.01.gif

5. lejean

lejean

The range checker has been implemented.
    If you're out of range, the loot event gets queued, you run to the object and call the event when in range.

Desktop 12.15.2017 - 17.18.10.01.gif

6. lejean

lejean

Build in a toggle to loot items by walking over them.

Updating documentation now and the update is ready for upload!

Desktop 12.27.2017 - 17.13.14.02.gif

7. lejean

lejean

Update 1.1 now pending for review!

8. lejean

lejean

Update 1.1 now live!

Changelog:
    - Normal labels and stack labels merged into 1 object
    - Added an option to switch text with icons
    - Added a range checker which queues the interaction and makes your player run to the object
    - Added an option to loot by walking over the object
    - Updated player navigation
    - Lots of code refactoring and bugfixes
    - Expanded documentation
    - Packages for new unity versions

9. lejean

lejean

Also added 2017.3 support!

10. Amvient

Amvient

I know it may be silly to ask (I am new to developing), but I wanted to confirm I can add all the loot I want from my game. I want to check if there is any restriction on the items I can place.

11. lejean

lejean

You can add anything you want cause it's just a name that gets generated from a list of names or that you give it manually.
    There's a section in the documentation for adding new items.

Just let me know if you don't understand and I'll help you out :)

12. lejean

lejean

- Resubmitted the package to remove javascript files to prevent deprecation
    - Updated 2017.1,2,3 to their latest versions
    - Reduced the price to 16 dollah

13. lejean

lejean

Well even tho I removed all the javascript files, they still deprecated the package for some reason.
    Happened with other people too.

Dnno who's behind this entire operation but he's screwing up >.<

Anyway, gonna put the package back up once we get word from unity what happened and what we need to do.

14. lejean

lejean

K, Loot labels is back online apparently, didn't get any notification about it oO

15. lejean

lejean

Loot labels is now part of the unity plus subscriber discount! :eek:

16. Necka_

Necka_

Hi, looks really good. But a few questions:

-I'm not a coder (using playmaker or bolt) would it be a problem? didn't find a link for the documentation to check how to implement/manage this asset
    -I use inventory pro, would it work with it? Can I just use regular prefabs?
    -The loot fountain is a plus but the stacking is kind of a turn down. I saw in your roadmap that you have a task to make the loots spread; how far are you in this? I think we both can think of Diablo 3 style of loot fountain, that would be great

thanks a lot

17. lejean

lejean

Ye you do need to code, cause you still need to program what an item does obviously. Clicking on a gold coin still needs to add a coin somewhere in your project.
    The documentation is in the asset pack, but I didn't think of putting it online somewhere. I'll put a link to it in the first post.

I've never used inventory pro, so no idea, but it's just drag and drop so you can put it on any prefab you want.

I had to work on another job the last couple of months so I didn't have time to continue working on this, but I'll find some time and see if I can get the loot spreading to work. :)

18. Gua

Gua

Trailer shows fade in, but will label fade out when I'm far enaight from the loot. Will performance tank if I have like 100 objects with distance fade in label in a scene. Of course 99% will not be visible at the same time, but those 100 objects still need to check if I'm close enough. Is this system suitable for first person game? I basically want loot icons to fade in when I'm close to them and fade out when I'm far away.

Is it possible to not show label/icon if there some object between camera and loot. Here's example where laber doesn't get shown when there a car door or window between loot and camera.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  19. lejean

lejean

Hmm, the asset is made with a top down view in mind like diablo. It uses the onbecamevisible/invisible functions so if the item is visible to the camera, it would show the label.
    I'm not sure what happens with onbecamevisible if it's culled through distance tho, you might need to add Lods to the items to get those function calls, I'll do some research on it.

20. lejean

lejean

K so I tried it and you can add a LOD group to the items with 2 states, LOD 0 and culled. So if the camera is too far away, the item gets culled and Onbecameinvisible gets called causing the label to dissappear.

This might be a bit more difficult, you'll have to add raycasting to see if something is in it's way, but you could try only raycasting when the object is actually visible to the camera for performance