Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming on the Asset Store - Roman Buildings Pack

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Bisoncraft, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

Hi All,

I'm working on a 'Roman Buildings Pack' to be released very soon.

The 'domus' is already available for free on the Unity Store here : https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55737.

I've just finished the insula. The insulae were relatively high-rise, cheap buildings for the plebeians to rent. The plebeians were the popular classes of the Roman empire, and the insulae, usely built by the wealthy for profit, ranged from average housing to slums.

These apartments didn’t include kitchens or bathrooms. The plebeians would buy food in the street and use public baths and toilets. They were relatively unsafe and it wasn’t rare for some of these buildings to fall apart due to poor construction and maintenance. You wouldn’t want to live in one of these!

But they’re an essential part of any thriving roman city to maintain a growing population in a limited area and to add some flavour to your game. The first version of the pack will only include one variant but new variants will be added to the future.

More historical information here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insula_(building)

http://hehasawifeyouknow.tumblr.com/post/49269567925/howpeoplelived-apartments-insula-in-rome-in

As always, your comments are most welcome.

Coming next: a Roman Market.

2. Sabathius

Sabathius

I like what you're doing here! We should definitely have more Roman architecture on the Asset store. My first recommendation would be to see to your textures. Too repeating! Add something to break it up a bit: Weathering, nature integration [moss, vines, etc], structural texturing...

Also, check out Vitruvius http://www.gutenberg.org/files/20239/20239-h/29239-h.htm

...and one of the best books ever written on architecture: http://www.amazon.com/Pattern-Language-Buildings-Construction-Environmental/dp/0195019199

Just trying to be helpful! If this post isn't useful or is redundant to your work, feel free to ignore it. ;)

3. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

Many thanks for your post :). Your links are very interesting, I'm going to have a look as soon as I have some time and I'll see how I can improve the textures.

I'm trying to keep the buildings on one mesh with one material for a reasonable performance but to add more variety I'm thinking about separating the walls, roofs and other types of surface.

4. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

Hi,

Here's a quick update about the upcoming market.

It's based on plans of the market at Leptis Magna. Leptis Magna was located in Tripolitaine which was a prosperous region at that time and it was one of most important cities of the Roman Empire. The land surrounding Leptis Magna was at that time very fertile and it was also a major trading post.

In Unity, the size is reduced by half as the original market was a bit too big to use, and the size of the two pavilions has been adapted as well..

I'm working on some props to give more of a market atmosphere to the building: tables and stools, vegetables and fruits... In addition the general texture of the buildings has been changed. It now looks smoother and less grey but your opinion is welcome.

Thanks!

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

Good start. Love me some Roman architecture.

One obvious but worth-saying piece of advice: be sure to look at actual Roman architecture! When I visited Rome, the thing that really amazed me about the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, and even the Trevi Fountain was just how much detail there was in spite of the massive scale. You'd never just look up and see a flat wall. There were columns and arches and statues and ornamental ledges... Plenty to break up the flat shape of a wall on its way toward the heavens.

Keep at it!

6. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

That's a very good point. For utilitarian buildings such as insulae or markets, I don't think it's too much of a problem. But I'm working on a temple and this kind of buildings requires some proper decoration.

I plan to keep it relatively simple, though, to focus on the variety of buildings rather than going for photo-realism.

7. l0cke

l0cke

Reminds me old games from 1996 and Build editor for Dukenukem 3D.

8. Schneider21

Schneider21

I still think it's worth looking into for the "simple" buildings. For example, following the link you shared for Leptis Magna, the pictures suggest much more than flat walls in perfectly straight lines.

Instead of modeling each building separately from scratch, I think you could save yourself a lot of time and make a more interesting collection by creating modular pieces. Do a dozen different types of walls that would all fit together nicely, some roof pieces, and a number of arches and columns. Then piece those together to build prefab buildings. This would be a more valuable asset because:
    • It will look more organic and visually interesting (less straight obviously-computer lines)
    • It will let them build their own buildings if they wish
    • They'll still have your buildings you're assembling now
    This is your project, so please feel free to pursue it however you see fit. Just offering my opinion as both a consumer and producer of Asset Store content.

Bisoncraft likes this.
  9. Bisoncraft

Bisoncraft

Here is the current state of the temple, to be included in the Roman Buildings Pack.

I plan to do a bit more work (either on the mesh or the texture) on some of the walls to reflect the architecture of a real temple, but the global architecture is there.

It's based on the Maison Carree in Nimes, which has been exceptionally well preserved. I think it's a beautiful monument, and yet it's simple enough that it could easily meld into any environment, even in a modern Mediterranean or European city.