Search Unity

Games Unto The End - Cinematic Combat Platformer

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by v2-Ton-Studios, Nov 13, 2017.

1. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Unto The End is a 2D cinematic combat platformer made by my wife Sara and me, Stephen.

It will be coming to Xbox, Switch, PC and PS.​

--------------- // --------------
    Sara and I are Canadian, we met in college and lived in Seattle for a while. A few years ago we quit our jobs, sold our condo, and lived abroad while learning everything we could about gamedev. We’re now in Berkeley California, and hope to stay here until Unto is finished.
    Unto The End is about a father and his journey to get back home to his family. Lands inspired by our time in Iceland, Northern Scotland and Patagonia. In addition to our travels, Unto draws inspiration from INSIDE, Another World, and Punch-Out!!

-------------- // --------------​

LATEST GAMEPLAY

SCREENSHOTS

PRESS

"All the work of a husband and wife team, which makes the richness of ideas and the gorgeous animations all the more impressive. This one is firmly on our radar"
    - Rock, Paper, Shotgun

"Gorgeously Stylised"
    - Kotaku

"Striking visual style, which conjures a sort of Another World meets Vikings ambiance"
    - PC Gamer

"Looks as gorgeous as it is gory"
    - Bloody Disgusting

"2 Ton Studio have taken all the best aspects of indie gaming and polished them brighter than most big budget projects could dream"
    - Cliqist

-------------- // --------------​

We're always trying to get better and love chatting about games (Unto or otherwise), so we really appreciate any feedback, questions, comments or ideas.​

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

Looks really good! Very cinematic indeed!

v2-Ton-Studios likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Good stuff. Official thumbs up from me.

JamesArndt and v2-Ton-Studios like this.
  4. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

Love the art style here!

5. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    PhilippG and hippocoder like this.
  6. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

PATHFINDING, VIRTUALIZATION & ROUTINES

Our goal for Unto is to give actors the ability to go wherever the player goes. We don't want to box in fights with magical walls or constrain an encounter to a set boundary. Fleeing from a battle should be a viable way to survive. Encounters should range across the landscape, unfolding in unpredictable ways because of the terrain. Like a great action movie, if the hero gets away from a conflict by climbing a ledge and then dropping down into a cave, the actor in pursuit should follow with energy and vigor. It still early days, but here’s how we've tackled it.

Basic Pathing

I used an approach inspired by Sebastian Lague’s excellent A* tutorials. The only real difference is that I give obstacles (cliffs, ramps, jumps, etc) specific costs and use those to weight the different paths from A to B so we can pick the best or worst one -- depending on the situation.

Actor-to-Actor collisions

When pathing as a group two or more actors can get in each other’s way. A simple solution would be to allow actors of the same race e.g. Woad, to simply pass through each other - no collision. And although that would work, it breaks a rule of Unto’s feel: everything has physicality.

(This translates to combat with an actor -- you can’t just run by them. But also when you miss an attack, run into a wall, or fall from a cliff. Swing and hit a log and your sword will get stuck, sprint into a brick wall and you’ll knock yourself out, etc.)

So we decided to have actors “step aside” (there’s no animation for this yet, it’s just a layer shift and waiting queue for now).

That means when two actors meet the first one to realise the collision steps aside and waits until the other has passed. However, if one of the actors is of a higher rank, then the lower rank actor will give way regardless of which actors realised the collision first. A nice side effect of this is that it allows for scenarios such as having a leader march through a crowd to engage the hero.

Virtualization

We virtualize the world by breaking it down into “rooms”. Each room is contained within a Unity Scene and these Scenes are loaded additively as needed. A simple 2D box collider acts as the load trigger. When we no longer need a room it is unloaded.

We started with ‘Additive Scene Manager’ from the Asset Store, and have since heavily modified it to (1) work with 2D and (2) be more performant.

One of the hurdles we had to clear was ensuring actors can start in one room but move between rooms across virtualization. There were two challenges here:

1, If we load actors with a room, as in they are contained within a specific room, then they will get loaded/unloaded with the room. That means that if the hero encounters an actor in Room4, then runs to Room1 (with the actor in pursuit) which causes Room4 to be unloaded, then the actor from Room4 may disappear right in the middle of an encounter. Not good.

2, To address (1) we can simple decouple Actors from Rooms -- storing Actors in a Scene that doesn’t get unloaded with the room. As I understand it INSIDE had a separate “Actor Scene” for each room which they managed independently. I considered this, but it felt easier to simply have a global pool of actors and then have them “register” with a new room (and unregister from their former room) as soon as they enter it. (My one worry here is first startup cost of this approach, we'll have to see.)

Here’s how this nets out:
    • At design time actors are given a “home room”
    • OnStart they register with their home room, then deactivate themselves
    • When loaded by virtualization we check for any actors registered to the loading room and activate them.
    • As actors move from room to room we register / unregister them with respect to their new / old room.
    • When a room is unloaded we deactivate any actors registered with the room. We do this by calling a deactivate function on the actor so they correctly handle "pausing" their current action -- we don’t want a fleeing actor to get stuck halfway to their flee location when their room is unloaded, so we have special code to handle those cases.
    Routines

Actors operate under a set of routines. These can be well defined things like a patrol route or something more organic, like “hunt deer” or “follow hero”.

I’m just getting started on these but routines allow actors to behave in all sorts of interesting ways aside from simply standing around waiting for the hero to fight them. Here's how they work.
    • Routines have a set of Roles (which can be filled by any eligible actor)
    • Each Role has a Routine definition
    • Routines allows us to specify different movement or behavior patterns.
    Down the road I’ll try to post a more detailed description of routines based on where we land.

Below, our Woad is running a Follow Routine. As the father moves the Woad is periodically (every 200ms) recalcing the best path to follow him on. If the father sprints the Woad sprints, if the father sneaks the Woad sneaks. If the Woad was hostile to the father then he’d attack him when close. And so on.

(I still need to do things like speed matching, currently the Woad move faster than the father as they’re more athletic and I want fleeing from a fight with them to be difficult.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. sokki

sokki

Looks really good, well done to both of you :) I just hope the best parts of the game (full game) aren't captured in this trailer, so the game would be even better! I loved all the small details that ads a special touch unto the game, like the wolf howl, the innocent deer, and breath in the cold. Does the yeti boss breaks his chains leaving him onto the arms and using them as weapon perhaps? Maybe he also punch the ground causing earthquake which can be just for visual (collapsing mountains behind) or even effective in gameplay leaving gaps which makes the player to move slowly, or forcing him to jump which will slow him.
    Also nice thumb for the right hand swipe of the boss, giving some sort of 3D feeling.

How long is the total gameplay? Such trailer tease for quite few hours of gameplay, but with the details i've seen so far, I'm afraid few hours of gameplay must be loads of work for the two of you..

Anyway, like it and good luck with the game!!

8. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

@sokki Heya, thanks! Glad you're liking what you see.

The trailer is all pre-alpha, so we've definitely got a lot more in store. Like you, we very much hope the final game is better than the E3 trailer :).

We have some neat ideas for the Yeti boss and how he might use his chain, interact with the bridge, etc. The ground punch is an cool idea, thanks for suggesting it.

We'll have to see on total gameplay length. Our focus is quality over quantity and a good amount of replayability -- a few yet to be announced features should (we hope) keep things interesting here.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  9. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Been waiting for your announcement. Looks like a lot of hard work has gone into it so far. I like your storytelling process and animations are very well done.
    Looks like you've hooked up with a quality up-coming publisher as well. Your title will be a top mark for them going forward.
    Awesome presentation.

10. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

@theANMATOR2b Thanks! Really appreciate the note on the animations, it's the thing I spend the most time on and am constantly trying to get better at.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  11. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

It's possible you've already considered this but worth noting, you might consider adjustable/variable 'ranks' for the actors. Because there might be a low ranked actor - but he has urgency due to something, he is chasing the father, or running while other actors are just walking. If the low ranked actor increased in rank due to his urgency it would cause him to have precedence when crossing paths with a normally higher ranked actor.
    Wouldn't want the low 'ranked' urgent actor to stop running and step aside just because he crosses paths with a higher ranked actor. ;)

12. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

We have this "mindset" system that underpins the behaviour of the actors (NPCs) in the game. It determines their level of anger vs friendliness to other actors as well as how they react to actions: seeing a friend get killed, being attacked, etc. So we'll be using that to impact things like urgency of movement relative to other actors.

But, yes, your idea and example is spot on... exactly the kind of thing we want to be able to handle.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

A bit of progress on hit reactions, idle states and a placeholder cut at a death animation :).

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  14. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

I like the art style, It reminds me of "The Mooseman".

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Little did he know all they wanted was love.

MoonJellyGames and theANMATOR2b like this.
  16. sokki

sokki

I'm happy you liked it, I mean, Yeti's are crazy giants, I assume they do lots of chaotic damage around :)

Replayability? Like different endings, or different character plays? I found it hard to add replayability feelings to adventure game, as its straight-ahead kind of gameplay. On the other hand, skill based, or strategy games are easy to tease for more than 1 plays.. I'm curious and hoping to see the full release as soon as possible.
    Good luck again!!

17. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

We're aiming for both, but will honestly have to see. If we can get one "path" through the game to feel great then we'll be really happy. Turns out making something special is super hard to do :).

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  18. steelersfan252

steelersfan252

Really nice game, I support it.

19. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I really like the visual style. I will say the animations were the roughest looking part to me. Good for a start, but I don't feel enough polish in them and it brings me back to my old university days. I feel like the anticipation is missing, overlapping action on the characters and overall exaggeration on the movement arcs. Really a decent amount of the 12 principles for the animations. It's close, but it's just needing that polish to it. Other than that it's really nice visually and already feels like it's trying to tell me a story...

21. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Hey James -- thanks for the candid feedback, very appreciated. I'll keep working to make them better.

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  22. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

ANIMATOR ORGANIZATION - ANY STATE TRIGGER PATTERN

Just read Will Armstrong’s excellent post about Animator organization http://response.unity3d.com/animator-controllers. If you've ever worked on Unity game that is heavy on animation you realise pretty quickly how messy your animator organization can get.

A pattern I didn’t see there was the one we use for Unto, I’ll call it “Any State Triggers”. It looks like this…

(Credit goes to Scott Watson for coming up with this pattern while he and I worked on a procedurally generated space adventure game -- that we never finished :). Scott and I have lost touch since that project, hope you're doing well mate.)

Before we came across this pattern we had an insane number of crisscrossing connections between states, he's an example I threw together -- I can't find the original.

The Any State Trigger pattern is pretty simple.

- Leverage "Any State" to make a one directional hub, allowing transitions from State A to State B regardless of the current state or dependencies between states.
    - Remove all state to state transitions.
    - Choose a single uber default state for the entire animator (e.g. Idle) and make it the only state that other states can transition to directly.

The main idea is to wire all cross state connections (Any State --> State X) using the Trigger transition pattern. This means if I'm in the Running State and get hit by a sword, I can switch to the Hit Reaction state just by firing Trigger_Hit.

Because this is wired to Any State I can do this from... any state :), Run, Jump, Climb, whatever and I don't need the other states to know about the "wiring" to Hit Reaction.

If you're not familiar with triggers, they are single-fire, set and then reset, boolean flags that the animator can use to perform a transition.

Code (csharp):
    2. // fire trigger
    3. _animator.SetTrigger ("Trigger_Hit");
    Unlike Bool, Int or Float properties which need to be set then manually reset, a trigger's state is automatically managed by the animator. It fires, setting a transition to true, and then once the transition has completed the trigger is set to false, so it doesn't fire again.

When we fire a trigger we make sure to set up the animator properties for the new state. We do this to so we don't accidentally reenter a state "in flight". In theory, because we can interrupt at any time, from any state, then we could do something weird like interrupt Run during RunEnd, do a Hit Reaction and then reenter Run with the run state at RunEnd.

Inside each state we have "back to Idle" conditions. Idle is our default state for all other states.

Transitions to the Base Layer always point to the Idle state which is the animator's overall default state.

Instances where we need to transition from one state to another state, other than Idle are all handled through the Any State pattern.

If you have any questions let me know.

23. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Oh my God, dude, I love it. The thread title had me hoping it was a (quality) Another World/Heart of Darkness/Oddworld-kind of game, and it looks to be just that, only with (much) more emphasis on combat. If I didn't watch the video, I'd guess that more combat would be a negative, but it looks absolutely badass with the head chops and knife throws. I'm really digging it.

24. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Also, your animator (before you discovered the "any state" pattern gave me horrible flashbacks to my character's old animation controller-- it was an utter mess. That's almost entirely due to my failure to use it properly, but it doesn't feel like it was designed for sprite animation. Creating animation "folders" (I don't know what they're called) that let me group similar animations together made an enormous difference as it looks like it has for you as well.

v2-Ton-Studios and theANMATOR2b like this.
  25. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

@jester-race Heya, glad to hear you're digging it -- great New Year's present right there :)!

You're spot on with your read on things. We're working hard to make combat fit into the mood / tone of the overall game. It's been a ton of work, but lots of fun too.

Curious, what are some of the things that would be a negative for our combat system? Still time for us to avoid stepping on landmines :).

Yea, wrestling with the Animator is never fun, glad to hear you got things wrangled. It does feel like the animator is designed around 3D / imported animations. For instance, I still haven't figured how to make good use of layers... they always seem to be fighting with each other... probably b/c I don't have a real rig, but a 2D "doll"...?

Not sure if you're interested, but Will (the guy that wrote the animator post I linked to above) forwarded me a talk he did... I haven't had time to watch it yet, but might be worth a go to see how the pros do it :).

Cheers! All the best for 2018!

26. MoonJellyGames

MoonJellyGames

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely have to give it a watch when I get home (I'm on my last day of vacation-- back to sub-zero Canadian weather for me :( ).

What I meant about the combat is that if you just described the game to me as "Like Limbo or Another World, but with an emphasis on combat", I'd think that sounds sort of contrary to the whole point of those kinds of games. But, like I said, after actually seeing the combat, I'm convinced that it'll probably be a lot of fun. And, in fact, it helps make the game stand apart from the ones that inspired it.

27. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

@jester-race Got it, thanks for the reply. I suck at marketing / framing things... super helpful to see how others see what we're doing. Cheers!

PS Canadian here, grew up outside of TO... although we're living in Berkeley California for the year... I really miss the cold weather (mostly the snow) during the winter. Last year, we spent Jan and Feb with Sara's parents in Ontario and I loved every minute of it... even the driveway shoveling... :). Although my parents tell me that this year is a particularly cold one... Hang in there :).

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  28. RavenOfCode

RavenOfCode

This looks stunning! Great work so far, definitely looking forward to playing this!

29. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    RavenOfCode likes this.
  30. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Hey guys,

Been a while... Sara and I were very heads down working through the details of Unto The End. But the end is in sight, so thot I'd start sharing stuff here again.

At E3 we anncouned that Unto's coming to Xbox via Gamepass. The Xbox@ID guys have been freaking awesome to us and indies in general.

A few seconds of Unto gameplay got show during the Xbox E3 briefing... here's the full gameplay montage we sent them...

Also a recent devlog post on Steam breaks down a few of the areas we've been working on...

https://steamcommunity.com/games/600080/announcements/detail/1587997910828352345

Anyways... I'll try to post a few technical / unity specific things when I can. Until then, hope you're having great fun with your own projects, love to hear your thots and comments, and look forward to chatting more soon.

31. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

32. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Wrote a little script to replace all null animations in an AnimatorOverrideController w a specific "placeholder" animation.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class AnimHelper : EditorWindow
    6. {
    7.     public AnimatorOverrideController _overrideController;
    8.     public AnimationClip _placeholderClip;
    9.     public string _suffix;
    11.     List<KeyValuePair<AnimationClip, AnimationClip>> overrides;
    13.     // Add menu item named "My Window" to the Window menu
    14.     [MenuItem("Window/Animator Helper")]
    15.     public static void ShowWindow()
    16.     {
    17.         //Show existing window instance. If one doesn't exist, make one.
    18.         EditorWindow.GetWindow(typeof(AnimHelper));
    19.     }
    21.     void OnGUI()
    22.     {
    23.         GUILayout.Label ("Base Settings", EditorStyles.boldLabel);
    25.         EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    26.         GUILayout.Label ("Target Animator");
    27.         _overrideController = EditorGUILayout.ObjectField (_overrideController, typeof (AnimatorOverrideController), true) as AnimatorOverrideController;
    28.         EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal();
    30.         EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    31.         _placeholderClip = EditorGUILayout.ObjectField(_placeholderClip, typeof(AnimationClip), true) as AnimationClip;
    32.         EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal();
    34.         if (GUILayout.Button("Replace Empty Fields"))
    35.         {
    36.             int canRun = 0;
    38.             if (_overrideController == null)
    39.             {
    40.                 ShowNotification(new GUIContent("Assign an AnimatorOverrideController"));
    41.             }
    42.             else
    43.             {
    44.                 canRun++;
    45.             }
    47.             if (_placeholderClip == null)
    48.             {
    49.                 ShowNotification(new GUIContent("Assign a Placeholder Animation"));
    50.             }
    51.             else
    52.             {
    53.                 canRun++;
    54.             }          
    56.             if (canRun == 2)
    57.             {
    58.                 overrides = new List<KeyValuePair<AnimationClip, AnimationClip>>(_overrideController.overridesCount);
    59.                 _overrideController.GetOverrides(overrides);
    61.                 for (int i = 0; i < overrides.Count; i++)
    62.                 {
    63.                     if (overrides[i].Value == null)
    64.                     {
    65.                         overrides[i] = new KeyValuePair<AnimationClip, AnimationClip>(overrides[i].Key, _placeholderClip);
    66.                     }                  
    67.                 }
    69.                 _overrideController.ApplyOverrides(overrides);
    70.             }
    71.         }
    72.     }
    73. }

33. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

The father can drop his sword in Unto, sometimes opponents pick it up, others you have to fight defensively until you can grab it.

It's been a fun one to balance. At first it happened at lot, any mistake and you'd drop your sword, but that was too frustrating. So we balanced it to only happen on specific attacks or mistakes. I'm sure we'll tune it some more .

The biggest thing we wanted to add with it was emergent / dynamic moments. Times when the player basically feels like they're screwed, but then takes a moment recovers and turns things back in their favour, but now with an earned feeling of revenge.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Starpaq2 likes this.
  34. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Some progress on an encounter I've wanted to finish for a long time. One of the more puzzley ones.

Starpaq2 likes this.
  35. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

36. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

37. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Been a while since I posted here.

Sara and I just wrapped up EGX. We had a fantastic time, met some great people and got to see lots of amazing games. Huge thanks again to everyone that gave Unto a go and taking the time to chat with us. Another big thanks to all the journalists that stopped by and then took the time to write nice things about Unto The End. There are so many brilliant games out there it really means a lot that you'd set aside time for Unto. Cheers!

Comments that made our month :)

"Yeah, this was my favourite game at EGX - the combat is so meaty and robust, despite featuring these small figures. And the sound design really draws you in."
    - Rock Paper Shotgun

"Unto The End sounds great and plays even better"
    - Eurogamer

"A lot of games have tried to replicate the magic of the Soul’s games on a 2D plane but Unto The End might be the game that ‘gets’ it the most."
    - Finger Guns

"I honestly don’t think I’ve ever played a 2D adventure game with such an involved combat mechanic before, but it works spectacularly well."
    - Nintendo Village

"I was instantly reminded of classic cinematic platformers such as Another World and Prince of Persia, but there’s clearly more depth here. There’s a nuanced combat system that sees you ducking and diving out the way of your assailants and a crafting ability that goes beyond the typical health potions."
    - Indie Game Website

"Unto The End was hands down my game of the show. Another World and Inside are some of my favourite games of all time, you’ve really managed to channel some of the best aspects of those games in Unto."
    - Redway Games

"... it was incredible to see how a 2D single plane title can have such impressively diverse combat… Unto The End was one of my favourite games of the show and I’m so excited to see one coming to Switch next year."
    - Nindie Nexus

New trailer

We cut a new trailer. It shows a bunch of new gameplay, areas and lots of refinement since our previous trailer, done for E3 2017.

Full list of EGX 2019 coverage

Eurogamer - Favourite games of EGX
    https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1186286472929972225?s=12

Eurogamer - Unto The End sounds great and plays even better
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-sound-design-stay-for-the-interesting-combat

"The very first thing that drew me to Unto the End was the sound design. Watching the trailer when I saw the news it'd be EGX, I was quite excited to get my hands on what seemed to be a fairly simple hack and slash with great audio, and a decent story to go along with it. What I actually got was a challenging 2D adventure with a more complex combat system and interesting environments to traverse - and of course the aforementioned excellent sound design."

////​

Rock Paper Shotgun - Bestest games of EGX
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/21/the-bestest-games-of-egx-2019/

"I also loved loved loved 2D action adventure game Unto The End [official site] by 2Ton Studios as well. I died loads, but its gritty, meaty combat had a lovely sense of heft to it, and its sound design was super atmospheric as well. Your health meter is also determined by how much blood you’ve got on your beard, which is just genius."

Mathew Castle of Rock Paper Shotgun - Favourite game of EGX
    https://twitter.com/mrbasil_pesto/status/1185949123473805314

"Yeah, this was my favourite game at EGX - the combat is so meaty and robust, despite featuring these small figures. And the sound design really draws you in. Great stufff@2TonStudios"

////​

Indie Game Website
    https://www.indiegamewebsite.com/2019/10/21/unto-the-end-is-a-gorgeous-and-gory-combat-adventure/

"I had a chance to go hands-on with Unto The End by 2 Ton Studios at EGX 2019 and was enchanted by its simple yet stark art style and smooth, responsive combat. As soon as I picked it up I was instantly reminded of classic cinematic platformers such as Another World and Prince of Persia, but there’s clearly more depth here. There’s a nuanced combat system that sees you ducking and diving out the way of your assailants and a crafting ability that goes beyond the typical health potions."

////​

Olly Writes - 10 Great Games from the Show Floor
    https://www.ollywrites.co.uk/2019/10/egx-2019.html

“If you did a side-scroller viking interpretation of For Honor, you'd get Unto the End. Explore a world of harsh terrain and hostile enemies, you play as a survivalist father trying to get home to his family. Along the way, you'll battle with intelligent foes who attack with skill and precision. Pay attention to the visual cues of the combat system to best them, as each encounter feels memorable and rewarding once you do. I feel like this one is going to bang when it releases.”

////​

NME - The 10 best indie games of EGX
    https://www.nme.com/features/indie-games-egx-2019-2560167-2560167

"Details of plot are sketchy – you’re a father looking for his missing family; not a warrior, but no wimp either – but what really impressed us was just how innovative the enemies you meet are, how each new creature or combatant had their own intuitive fighting style, and how sometimes the best way to travail an obstacle in your path isn’t to fight at all."

////​

Get Indie Gaming - Top 20 Best Indie Game Hidden Gems of EGX 2019

////​

Nintendo Village - The Best Nindies at EGX 2019
    https://www.thenintendovillage.com/articles/2019/10/25/the-best-nindies-at-egx-2019

"Outside of Luigi’s Mansion 3, this was arguably my favourite game I played at EGX this year. A 2D action adventure developed by a husband and wife team (by the name of 2Ton Studios) built around a unique combat mechanic.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever played a 2D adventure game with such an involved combat mechanic before, but it works spectacularly well. Whisper it, but there’s definitely a Dark Souls-esque vibe to it, albeit on a flatter plane."

////​

Green Man Gaming - EGX Indie Game Highlights
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/blog/egx-indie-game-highlights/

“The fairly short but sweet demo had players traversing a dark cave system avoiding hazards such as falling boulders. Then venturing above ground across a snow-covered forest. Where enemies waited to ambush you. The combat was challenging but not overwhelming.

What was a surprise to me was that combat isn’t your only option when encountering strange creatures. In some instances, you are able to resolve things peacefully which could benefit you when trading items, or for encounters later on.

Unto the End is a really interesting title, with a unique style, engaging combat and an interesting world to get immersed in.”

////​

Finger Guns - EGX 2019 – 17 of the Best Indie Games From The Show Floor
    http://fingerguns.net/features/2019/10/22/egx-2019-15-of-the-best-indie-games-from-the-show-floor/

“A lot of games have tried to replicate the magic of the Soul’s games on a 2D plane but Unto The End might be the game that ‘gets’ it the most. The demo I played demonstrated a nuanced and complex fight system about high and low attacks and blocks as well as reading your enemy to ensure you’re not just getting torn to pieces – and it will happen. A fresh and clean art style brings all this to life in a truly appealing way. Sold.”

////​

Factor New - EGX Highlights
    https://www.factornews.com/preview/egx-2019-premiers-restes-du-salon-page-1-45860.html

“Plateformer 2D cinématique minimaliste dans lequel on joue un genre de viking dans un monde peuplé de monstres. Plusieurs manières de résoudre les rencontres avec des ennemis : utiliser le friendly fire à son avantage, converser avec eux, leur faire des offrandes ou avec la manière forte via les combats assez tactiques basés sur des postures/gardes hautes et basses. Les développeurs nous ont assuré que l'IA réagit au héros mais aussi aux autres créatures du monde. Phase de polish en cours, pas encore de date de sortie.”

////​

Redway Games - Unto The End interview

“Unto The End was hands down my game of the show. Another World and Inside are some of my favourite games of all time, you’ve really managed to channel some of the best aspects of those games in Unto.”

////​

Nindie Nexus - Best Nindis @ EGX 2019

“... it was incredible to see how a 2D single plane title can have such impressively diverse combat… Unto The End was one of my favourite games of the show and I’m so excited to see one coming to Switch next year.”

////​

Square XO - Best Indies of EGX 2019
    https://www.squarexo.co.uk/egx-2019-our-indie-picks-part-one/

////​

(Podcast) The Xbox Hub - EGX 2019
    https://www.thexboxhub.com/thexboxh...r-beyond-blue-aaero-2-zombie-army-4-and-more/

“Unto The End… Top 3 games of the show”

(Podcast) Making Games is Fun - EGX 2019 special
    http://www.garethdutton.com/mgif/2019/10/21/mgif-egx-special

(Podcast) Finger Guns - EGX Post-Show
    https://fingergunspodcast.podbean.c...-falls-to-pieces-the-outer-worlds-is-awesome/

////

Thanks again to everyone for supporting us and helping let people know about Unto The End. If you like what you see and hear, feel free to add it to your Wishlist – it helps immensely come launch day and we appreciate the support.

Wishlist: bit.ly/UntoSteam

- Stephen and Sara

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    MoonJellyGames and RavenOfCode like this.