Search Unity

Untiy is very slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Deleted User, May 2, 2020.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am using Unity Editor 2019.3.10f1 and I am having trouble because Unity Editor is very slow. I had bought the Unity Asset Store Originals Snaps Art HD: School and I downloaded it from Unity Editor itself and imported it. When I clicked import it was taking a lot of time to import all the assets. It took around 3-4 hours and after that, I was having an error with the scripts and I was asked to reimport all the assets. When I had exit Unity Editor and reopened it, it was again taking a lot of time to import all the assets. This problem has been every time when I import anything despite the fact that those file sizes were like 8.7 Mb of 3.8 Mb. Another fact is that when Unity Editor processes any Cubemap it is taking the minimum time of 10 minutes to process it. I do not know what to do. At times in the Task Manager, I see that Unity is 90% of the time it is not responding.
    Unity Editor is not only slow in importing any asset from the Unity Asset Store, but it is also slow in everything else. If you make a new object in a scene you have to wait for a minute, if you make a C# script then it takes 3-4 minutes to read it, if you need to open or close a project then you have to wait for another 10 minutes. However, I am working on a fast laptop with all the latest features and updates, Unity Editor seems to be taking a lot of time. When you create a new Unity project then it takes 10-15 minutes to make the necessary files and open it. When you open any tab or try to save anything it hangs and responded itself after a while. If you are downloading, updating, or removing any package from the Package Manager, it does not take less than 15-20 minutes.
    I am currently using Windows 10 Home, version 2004, 6 GB Ram and a 2.5 gigahertz processor.
    Please help me.
    The screenshot of the asset is given in the attachments.
    Thank You,
    Raghav Aggarwal
    Raghavstar13@outook.com

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think it's most likely your computer. What is the CPU and GPU exactly? What is the hard drive? Have you checked the computer for malware? It seems like something is wrong with it in general.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't think that there is a problem with my computer. I have been using Unity for the last 8 months and I did not have any issue this severe. However, from the past 2 months, the Unity Editor is working very slow.
    By the way, the CPU comprises 2.5 Gigahats and the GPU is DX 10. Well. I don't know about the hard drive but I know that it had 441 GB of space in which there is a lot of space left for Unity. Last week I had run a full diagnostics of my laptop and I did not find any malware or virus of any kind.

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Damn that's a lot of hats!

salamlex147 likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

What do you mean?

6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I believe you meant to write "Gigahertz" for the processor frequency, and he was making a light joke on your misspelling "Gigahats".

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

DX 10 means your machine is pretty darn old. DX 11 has been out for over a decade.

Importing speed is affected by many things, but speed of your SSD, amount and speed of RAM, and your CPU seem to primarily affect importing. A decade plus old laptop probably doesn't even have an SSD, your 6 GB of RAM is enough to handle a Flappy Bird clone but I wouldn't try anything more complex, and a 2.5 GHz laptop CPU from that long ago is probably not great either. It is time for a new laptop.