Search Unity

Unstable Cinemachine collider

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by VincentAbert, Jun 5, 2021.

1. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Hello !

I've tried playing with every cinemachine collider settings, but I somehow can't seem to get it right. It's always jittery and unstable when the camera is in corners or tight spots. I convinced myself it was a pretty rare case, but after seeing a few people try it, it seems that they get in this weird jittery state very often, which obviously doesn't feel good at all. Are there any special tips or techniques to avoid it ?

Here's a short example :

Thank you !

2. M_G_ELECTRONIC

M_G_ELECTRONIC

The same here

3. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Can you post your inspector? Maybe also a video with slower movement, showing the problem more clearly. It's hard to tell when you move the mouse so fast.

4. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Here is the inspector :

I can try to make a new video next week, but I'm not sure it will help, I'm not really moving my mouse that fast or that much in the clip, which is kind of the issue. I'm just trying to turn the camera to face the other side of the wall, and it keeps jumping around.

The way it is handled in the third person demo makes much more sense, as the camera smoothly slides on the wall, as opposed to nervously going everywhere. But I'm not sure I can replicate it with a free look, or at least I didn't manage to do so... Which is a shame because I can't really change right now.

Thank you for your help.

5. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Have you tried switching the strategy to Pull Camera Forward? That's the most stable mode. Also, your camera radius is enormous - is there a reason for that? Keep it as small as possible.

6. VincentAbert

VincentAbert

Yeah, I guess I'll revert to the pull camera forward method, I was not a fan of the instantaneous camera jump when an object obstructs the view, but I guess it's the best solution. The big camera radius was just part of my settings tweaking experiments, but it's indeed better with the default value.

Thanks for your help.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

You can still use the damping settings to soften the transition, even with PullCameraForward.