Search Unity

Question Unscaled time on shadergraph

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by pineapuru, Nov 26, 2020.

1. pineapuru

pineapuru

Hey, I've been trying out shadergraph and shader programming in general and noticed shadergraph doesn't have any unscaled time options, also I haven't found many solutions on using unscaled time on shader codes, I searched on the forum and found something from 2015 saying it isn't possible to use unscaled time on shadergraph, is that still true? what would be a good method to make a shader run on unscaled time easily?

Edit: Just to inform everyone, I animate a lot of my pause scenes with shaders, that's why I need them to act even when time is freezed, they're like background scrolling textures etc.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  2. Olmi

Olmi

Why can't you just set value from C# side and use that to drive your shader animations.

adamgolden likes this.
  3. adamgolden

adamgolden

Indeed. To elaborate on that approach, add something like public Renderer ren; to a component and drag whichever to it. Add a Float property to your Shader Graph, call it something like "Unscaled Time" with a reference name like "_UnscaledTime". Then in Shader Graph, connect your Unscaled Time node to whatever, and finally in Update of the component you added ren to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ren.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_UnscaledTime", Time.unscaledTime);
    Note the above expects the renderer is using a single material. If not, use .sharedMaterials[index] instead.

Braza, Kshesho and pineapuru like this.
  4. pineapuru

pineapuru

Thanks for teaching me on how to do it! Just had to do some changes as UI images doesn't have renderers aparently, but just had to change the code to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. img.material.SetFloat("_UnscaledTime", Time.unscaledTime);
    Thank you so much again. :)

adamgolden likes this.
  5. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I need my scaled time for seasonal and day/night synchronization, and am using GPUI, (a GPU instancer) so I cant set the parameters outside of the GPUI prefab, because it all gets cached on the GPU, but I still want my trees to sway in the wind when paused. Not a huge deal, btu I think I might want it for other things in the future.

6. Kronnect

Kronnect

Did you try using Shader.SetGlobalFloat instead?

adamgolden likes this.
  7. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

Magic words is what I seek! Thank you! Did not know the phrase existed. I will try it out. If it works, A whole new set of options just opened up! If I am reading it right, I can set all types of global floats for anything... ...wow. I did not even consider it possible when designing.