Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreliable Physics2D in Unity 5

Discussion in 'Physics' started by helios, Mar 13, 2015.

1. helios

helios

Hello Melv,

Unity Bug folks sent me a message saying the one-way collider stuff was fixed (bug 683964) in 5.1.1p2. I saw it in the release notes, but unfortunately the bug is still happening - in fact, it's even worse as the side-collision now happens regardless of what the player's Y velocity is (before it was only happening when Y was negative). You always collide with the sides now, when it should never. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Have you noticed the new property of 'Surface Arc'?
    NewPlatformEffector2D.png

The 'Surface Arc' property defaults to 180-degree and has a gizmo to represent it. This arc defines the (non-one-way i.e. always solid) surface and is used by comparing the collision normal angle of your object touching it. If it's within this arc then it's not one-way, if it's outside of it then it's one-way (assuming one-way is on).

Therefore, the default 180-degree arc, centered on the local 'up', means you get a solid surface spanning from the local-left, clockwise to the local-right thus verical sides are solid with that value. Simply reduce that by 1-degree to not include vertical sides; for edges, you probably only want a few degrees i.e. a collision normal of local-up only so reduce it to a few degrees although 0 degrees will work.

Note that the one-way behaviour now doesn't rely on velocity of any kind as it was too unstable. Bodies moving across a surface move with tiny variations of vertical movement and this is hard to control in a stable way, especially when more complex set-ups were tested. Now, it's entirely based upon the collision-normal which is both stable and easily configurable against hence the new 'Surface Arc'.

This thread has a lot of different topics so I would suggest that we either use a new dedicated thread or feel free to message me directly and I can help you out there.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  3. helios

helios

Wow, I certainly did not notice that. Apologies - and thanks for the information, everything is perfect now.

I'll use a new thread in the future. Thanks again.