Search Unity

Unreal Engine 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alt.tszyu, Mar 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDMan

TheDMan

Well Unity still deploys to Linux, its kinda one thing that kinda makes want to stay with Unity, but if UE4 make it deploy to Linux in a future update, then Unity is truly toast.

2. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

I don't know if I'd be so enthusiastic about C++. If you're pushing high-production limits, the speed and better memory control can be nice.

But if you're not, it's more difficult to learn and use.

3. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Sadly, I sort of have to agree to this despite that I still feel more attached to Unity.

4. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

if there would be some offer from unity, i would love to stay. we still don't know the pricing for webgl. but if they want to charge the same 1500$ as for the other add-ons, i'm out. sadly...

5. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I got to dig into that thing, I remember in the past reading that any revenue generated by a game done by Unity was covered in their royalty payments, including ad revenue and any IAP.

The reason they can do this is precisely because of the royalty bit. If you stop paying, that does not make you free of publishing your game and stop paying royalties. Those royalties should balance their books. With the Unity model, where there are zero royalties, you can’t be as liberal about cancelations.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

And, for what is worth, Windows Phone and Windows 8 Store, neither are covered (as far as i know) by Unreal yet.

7. nilton_felicio

nilton_felicio

I always found the best tool for the Unity development for having a great community, simple learning curve. Loved to hear that Unity was willing to offer a subscription plan. I've always had an interest in having Unity pro. But with $ 75.00 monthly found very high value. Now if that was not enough Unreal Engine 4 will also have your subscription plan of R $ 19.00 monthly. Sera that Unity will review the amount of R $ 75.00 per month, which does not even account with Addons? I'm sure if the value were better planned would win in quantity, I believe many people would opt for the free Unity a more inviting Unity Pro Plan Think about it.

8. kiriri

kiriri

yeah, I'm a big fan of Unity as an engine, but internally we've had to buy or redevelope pretty much every aspect of it because we have no source access. And it's no secret that pretty much everyone has a decompiler for Unity, so what's the point really? Combine that with the ridiculous fees and UDKs new marketplace, and I think I'm sorry to say that I'll wrap up my stuff and see y'all over on the unreal forums :S

9. lmbarns

lmbarns

Yeah my buddy just bought a subscription to unity last week and I've been thinking hard about getting it, but then with the announcement of 5 I decided to wait, and now....going to give unreal 4 an honest shot.

10. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've been a long time UE4 beta tester (unfortunatelly I wans't able to share any information as I was under heavy NDA). Epic guys are very awesome guys, they sent me a huge Infiltrator poster signed by Tim Sweeney itself + I got a free subscription until December 2015! Darn, just as I was about to throw money to the screen Epic came to rescue. :rolleyes:
    Still I need to get Unity5 because I love Unity too! ^^

11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I won’t use it for my current project (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/comments/238382054); I have promised the community a build for Linux and Unity is key for that.
    But now I have a solid reason to get out of the “noob level” on C++, I’ve been waiting for UE4 for Mac since the UDK announcement.
    I have over 4 years of experience with Unity, I won’t throw that to the trash can; But let’s face it, UE4 is something else mainly now if for N reason I need to quit the indie scene and go back to studios, I have to have experience with such beast that UE4 is.

Also, some points on the upgrade prices of Unity as a big hurdle.
    Come on guys, be creative. I paid my Unity 5 upgrade fee just by selling a 10$ script package on the Asset Store, Everybody here can do the same. Just work on your projects, find things that everyone would need and sell it on AS for an affordable price, in no time you grab your Unity Pro licenses. Still, UT need to do something about all this quickly or UE4 will eat their user base soooo fast.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  12. Apiweb

Apiweb

13. Nasarius

Nasarius

To some extent, yes. You really do need to read Effective C++ to avoid shooting yourself in the foot. But this isn't the C++ of the 90s anymore. C++11 made me truly enjoy C++ for perhaps the first time ever; it's a big improvement.

And if you want something nicer to code your game logic with, just build a simple API and plug in LuaJIT.

14. tatoforever

tatoforever

You don't need to fully manage your memory on Unreal Engine 4. You got a lot of objects that are fully managed by the engine itself. Unless you are extending the engine capabilities/features you are safe to go with C++ in Unreal Engine 4.

15. tatoforever

tatoforever

That's correct, they use a reflection probes system and pre-calculated GI data (with Enlighten) but you don't need to bake lightmaps, you can go fully 100% dynamic with UE4.

16. F.Salka

F.Salka

I'm lost here, does enlighten integration into Unreal 4 supports dynamic GI? or is just for faster "backing" and previewing of lightmaps (partial integration)? Unreal website currently doesn't state anything about dynamic GI or enlighten integration (as far as i can see)

17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Hmmm. Very interesting to hear.

18. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

I don't know for sure but it would hardly make any sense to license Enlighten and then neglect its most awesome purpose.
    I guess it will be useable in a similar fashion to Unity.

19. tatoforever

tatoforever

No,
    Enlighten produces better results because most of it's data is pre-calculated (unless you are not spawning new geometry on your level your GI will get computed pretty nice with very accurate results. Voxel Cone Tracing are fully dynamic (which is the plus side) but uses more power and they still an approximation (less accurate than Enlighten).

20. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

I heard the "baking" phase of Enlighten is really fast. How fast is it on an average level?

21. F.Salka

F.Salka

Well surely someone can post a YouTube video of enlighten in action since Unreal 4 has been publicly released.

22. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

lol ...

oh unity check out their tutorials

I was about to purchase unity upgrade last night, but then I didn't see a pre-purchase discount so I didn't bother... Why would I pre purchase if there is not discount?? anyway.. I think i'll hold off for a while a see whats Unreal 4 has to offer.

whoooootttt

23. Moonif

Moonif

Well this is huge! I wonder what Unity is going to do about it...

24. Venged

Venged

WOW!! The UE4 monthly subscription plan is great! To bad they don't have Mecanim type technology:-(

UE4 is tempting. It is hard to get pass the great subscription price for full source access. Epic is not playing around! LOL!

25. kaiyum

kaiyum

Why did in world they do it? I can't match things up. What is the epic's benefit out of this? On next month, I will probably hear "windows 10 source code license"!!!

This is not normal :confused:.
    I do not recognize epic anymore,
    For now, I will stick to unity. I will consider UE4 later for big projects. Learning curve and development cycle is important to me. Plus I don't know why, I have kinda weird affinity towards unity.

26. kiriri

kiriri

unreal does not accept paypal... only credit cards :(

27. F.Salka

F.Salka

28. lmbarns

lmbarns

They give examples including a 2d flappy bird clone, doesn't have to be a massive project, can be as simple as a 1 finger gameplay mobile game.

I wonder what Unity's response will be....

29. MinhDao

MinhDao

Wow, Android Wear, Unity 5, Unreal Engine 4. What a crazy day :confused:

30. Per

Per

Ouch, regretting preordering yesterday now. Unreal 4 looks impressive and at a great price.

31. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Sounds awesome. Will check it out. I really like Unity and 5 looks really great. Some things sound daunting with UE4, but I guess there will be more material and better organized now that they are aiming at indies. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bundle price by Unity though.

K.

32. TheDMan

TheDMan

Their benefit is with a closed off system and closed off license they only have a handful developers paying them. Which is ok, but its not a constant stream, especially since Unity is $1500 per license and to big developers that is super cheap.

But with the new system, every Joe is going to be shelling out $19/month just to see what its like. Even if most stop their subscription, many will not, and thats money coming in on a constant non-stop basis.

33. Krileon

Krileon

The blueprint system looks incredible. I know some are complaining about C++, but with the visual editor how much coding do you really need to do anymore? It seams they're very heavily focused on moving forward with visual editing, which I very much like. I've been coding my entire game in Playmaker to get used to the idea of visual editing.

34. TheDMan

TheDMan

Ouch, thats gotta chap Unity's ass. All those highly polished examples, assets, and game projects for free.

Not looking good at all for Unity.

35. Skeletim

Skeletim

I noticed that it seems UDK isn't available anymore.
    So that means Unity is the only one that offers a completely free solution now.

36. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

The benefit is more customers. Unreal has historically been strong in the high-level production space, but not as strong as Unity in the small indie space. Now Unity 5 is pushing higher production values too. So Unreal drops prices to compete.

37. tiggus

tiggus

Wow, ok Unity, time for your response!

38. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Wow just wow is all I got, I had just talked my wife into letting me max out our credit card for Unity 5 upgrades. I'm afraid that's not happening now. I will finish my current mobile project on Unity 4 and I'm sorry to say I wont be looking back until you re-evaluate your prices and upgrade scheme.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yup it's a massive curve ball. I guess Unity need some time to think about it.

40. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Indeed. That totally came out of nowhere. The scale of preparation for what is offered, and already available Asset-, project- and documentationwise is really impressive.

41. Aabel

Aabel

It's not just the price Unity needs to sort out, it's the whole mono road map. What is the Solution? there is a real competitor now for the indy space.

42. elmar1028

elmar1028

I am still sticking wiht Unity3D! Why? Because I am not sure whether I will be able to learn Unreal Engine 4 in one month! I don't want to pay 20 bucks a month even if it's small money. This is not indie style. Not for people who never used to UDK. We all know how difficult it is! Compare this to Unity: They provide you with a free license along with Android/iOS mobile support and more! You can develop a nice game and earn enough money to buy a Unity Pro! Everyone knows that!

So yeah, I am sticking with Unity3D and will wait patiently for Unity 5!

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

UE4 has a completely redesigned interface compared to UDK and previous engine versions. Not only that, but this is a very strong competitor for Unity Pro, not Unity Indie. If you want to buy Pro, you're either looking at $1500 up front or $75 a month, which is far more than this.

Also, there's no such thing as "indie style."

44. TheDMan

TheDMan

I dunno, how can they compete with built-in Visual Scripting, built-in Visual Shader/Material Editor, built-in Cinematics, built-in AI, ability to deploy to mobiles with no add-on licenses, etc etc, plus source code, all for at least a one time $19 payment with 5% of royalties.

What in the world will they offer that can beat all of that? And they literally would have to offer Pro for $10 and 3% royalties just to compete and keep people from fleeing.

45. SVGK

SVGK

that looks like a pretty cool engine, i would try it out if not for being in C++, and i'm not convinced that the visual scripting thing is very varied at all.

46. TheDMan

TheDMan

Its a $19/month subscription fee with no penalties for canceling at any time. So it means you only have to pay a one time $19 payment and if you want to cancel the subscription you can. Which means if you were really really cheap, you'd pay $19, download UE4, then cancel the subscription immediately after.

But you wouldnt get any updates to it.

47. Hakko

Hakko

You can just pay 1 month, learn all you want, and then subscribe again when you need updates or you need to start working on a serious project... there are no penalties if you cancel your subscription.

48. kryptopath2

kryptopath2

i don't think they have to go lower. unity has a really big base and i think, most of them would stick to unity if they wouldn't feel sort of ripped (very harsh word.. ). they only need to go in the direction epic has given.

49. Aabel

Aabel

No way I am paying $600 for Unity 5 upgrade.

50. Kinos141

Kinos141

I will buy it, but first I need to see some more documentation and tutorials. I don't want to pay for something I will not use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.