Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awss

Awss

Go unity, show us what you got tomorrow :D

fearfactory likes this.
  2. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

For me you just sound like a lazy person.
    I've just done all of that; I've ported a game from Unity to Unreal in mid development cycle and am 100% glad about the results so far. I also work alone and working with Unreal for me is way faster than while I work on Unity to achieve the same level of features I want/need to add to a game.
    But well, I am a guy who loves to learn new things and I understand that for many people that's not a joy, it's a hassle.

fearfactory likes this.
  3. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Epic made clear that any language extension is prohibited to be sold as a separate license (must be free to the community); if Xamarin want to grab money from that, won't be by a C# wrapper.

4. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

it's a good thing the NET framework was made open source and doubly good that Epic is encouraging community integration by open sourcing its engine

5. fearfactory

fearfactory

As the devices get more powerful, the need for the Pro features grow every day, meaning there will be no real indie version unless you're doing 2D only.

Lets abolish this separation of developers and unite our code base. True unity!

6. QFS

QFS

You might be onto something. Perhaps someone bought UT and they planned to make it free, and Epic found out before the reveal by a leaker. Perhaps after finding out Epic panicked because the buyout would seriously threaten Epic and UE, so they did a pre-emptive strike by releasing UE for free in an attempt to save themselves.

7. techmage

techmage

I'm playing devil's advocate representing the people who are in extreme opposition to Unity. I work in marketing, I play a role where companies contact me to do 3D interactive development work. I use Unity typically. Increasingly I am encountering the UE4 people, or just studios and people who say why not UE4? Well why not? There is increasingly not very much reason to argue for Unity over UE4. You can get into technical details, nitty gritty. But usually I am arguing with not technically affluent people. They don't understand them, they don't care. They are swayed by marketing and the perception of things in the masses.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm confident Epic has been planning this from the very beginning. Charging that initial monthly fee is a good way to make up some of the costs of development. It isn't too different from how some MMOs start off as subscription before shifting to F2P.

9. Arowx

Arowx

I have done and if you use Blueprints then you can quickly get something simple up and working in Unreal with the same assets as Unity.

I would argue that blueprints is a neat system for prototyping and getting projects moving. I'm surprised Unity have not created a similar node based system DOH! That's right you can pay extra and get playmaker!

10. cj31387

cj31387

unity could wreck unreal with this model like this "unity 5 pro is free until you make $5000 (or some arbitrary amount) then you must pay the original price of unity $1500, but the rest you make is all yours no royalty, just a 1 time fee of $1500 per unity version that your game uses. If you upgrade your game to the next unity version like 6 or 7, then another $1500.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  11. HemiMG

HemiMG

Are you saying that Unity won't improve the engine if an asset exists to do that thing? I'm sure that's not what you are saying, because the evidence proves otherwise, since we've got PBR and a new UI just recently and there were assets to do both of those things. But if that wasn't your point, then I'm not exactly sure what your point was.

Ryiah likes this.
  12. fearfactory

fearfactory

This is the RIGHT thing to do. We should make a petition.

Unity would lose no money unless they admit they make their revenue mostly off of broke teams, part timers, indies, students. That shouldn't be the case as they should be getting a bulk of their profit from large successful teams who's game makes more than $5000.

13. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Ugh, enough with the talk about "free ponies". Unity should charge what they like and I'll be happy so long as it helps make a better product.

14. drewradley

drewradley

Does anyone else think that people begging Unity to give them more free things only proves that these other "free" engines are not as good? I mean, if they were, I would think they wouldn't care what Unity does. Granted, I haven't used any engine besides Unity in four or five years, so what do I know? I do envy those of you who have the time to learn multiple engines though. I barely have enough time to spend with Unity!

Dreamaster and gecko like this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, but I do feel that those begging will likely never get anywhere with their projects. :p

Not_Sure, Kondor0 and HemiMG like this.
  16. Kondor0

Kondor0

Is it really good business to open the floodgates for more people? I don't know but it seems to me that the people that waits for an engine to be free before starting to develop are not the type of people that will actually finish projects.

You can see it in these forums, lots of newbies trying to make MMO, are they going to migrate to UE4 expecting development to be easier? because that would be hillarious.

It seems to me that the people that are serious UE4 users weren't expecting for the engine to be free (and certainly weren't wasting their dev time arguing in the Unity forums) before diving in. A $ 20 sub was already good enough.

As a paying customer I just want a better product, IMO more freebies are good PR but bring very little talented devs to the engine. I imagine they generate a good amount of Asset Store purchases though...

17. HemiMG

HemiMG

Makes sense. If someone gave me a free Lamborghini, I wouldn't be begging Ford to drop their prices. Wait, I think I just channeled @Graham Dunnett

18. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

Ok so as a new developer trying to learn coding and figure everything I have to say that UE4 really appeals to me. Based upon what I've heard and seen UE4's PC graphics are much better. Way better then even Unity Pros graphics. If that wasn't good enough its also now free which for me is huge because I have absolutely no way to make money and cant drop 20 bucks a month let alone 1500 for something that might not happen. So for me it comes to something pretty simple as many have said, what works best for me?

Based upon the two engines, I can use Unity free which will work but it wont look as good and from what I've heard the performance isn't the greatest or I can use UE4 which is now free and get super graphics and I don't have to worry about the 5% percent because if its a Free-to-Play game I want to make I wont make money so hence it really is completely free. Its pretty easy really.

19. Stardog

Stardog

Amazeballs.

20. LeeDenbigh

LeeDenbigh

I've just dished out nearly £1,200 by pre-ordering U5. I'm in your boat. I hope it was worth it. Looking forward to this live stream now.

TrentSterling likes this.
  21. MIK3K

MIK3K

I just use Unity as a hobbyist and haven't bought the pro version. Even if there are 100,000 Unity developers, there are millions of students, hobbyists, broke indie teams that can jump on UE4 with zero upfront costs - that's why companies donate equipment and software (or discount heavily) to schools to train the young people who will be buying these products when they finish school and will already be familiar with those tools they used. This is a great thing.

I've bought a lot of Unity assets (Unity has made I'm guessing around $600 from me at 30% of the money I spent) just to get things that UE4 already comes with - Blueprints (Playmaker and Dialogue), material editor (Forge), inverse kinematics (Final IK), matinee (uSequencer or Skele), behavior tree (Behavior Designer - awesome) and probably a few others (not sure if Skyshop was necessary compared to Unity Pro or the great Megafiers (and their other assets) or if UE4 has an equivalent of the mega stuff).

I really like Unity and will stick with it because I am fortunate to be able to buy these assets, but I just installed UE4 also to play with. I paid $20 for only one month just to check it out about 6 months ago and now it's free and they gave me a $30 credit in their store. I was worried about it being a big bloated package, but it you turn down the settings from shader model 5 to shader model 4 or even mobile then you have . . . Unity Pro plus a number of the top editor extension assets from the store lol.

As far as Unity being more mature - the unreal engine has been around forever. I would think Unity 5 is going to be no more mature than UE4 which has been in developers' hands since March of last year and we all know how long UE3 has been out.

fearfactory likes this.
  22. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

Well if the UT member's replies within this thread are any indication, they seem very confident that their announcement tomorrow will be a nice return volley to Epic's latest maneuver. Very eager and curious to hear the announcement--might just have to drag myself up at 6am to watch it live haha.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  23. Neoku

Neoku

I am worried for the future of Unity (i am making my projects with Unity Free) then developers that pay the Pro version are in a hard position, well, good luck.

LeeDenbigh likes this.
  24. Prominence

Prominence

Yeah, that's the most curious thing about this. They seem rather nonplussed. Of course, if this is just PR salvage/posturing, it'll reflect poorly on them very quickly...though I'm pretty sure (hoping, praying) they realize this.

25. HemiMG

HemiMG

A while back, a similar thing happened when complaints about UE4 having free Oculus support started. The mods let it go, Unity employees teased, and a day or so later free Oculus support was announced. I'm fully expecting a price change announcement, followed by one or more of the Unity guys coming in here and saying "Bam!"

26. Kondor0

Kondor0

"Get super graphics"

Do you realize that these super graphics depend on you having good assets for a start, the engine can give you good ilumination, shaders and good performance but taking advantage of those features relies only in you and your budget. If you are new to game development just find something that you can learn and make something with it, you can worry later about having TEH BEZT GRAPHICZ!!11

jchapman723 and HemiMG like this.
  27. Prominence

Prominence

I'd laugh and eat crow happily if that turns out to be the case. Interesting that there's precedent!

28. knr_

knr_

Anybody who told you that the Unity engine cannot look as good as the Unreal engine either doesn't know how to work with shaders or has their own agenda.

Yes, you need to know what you are doing to do stuff like this but that would be true of any technology.

That being said, I have my fingers crossed for a built-in volumetric terrain editor tomorrow :)

Ryiah likes this.
  29. fearfactory

fearfactory

Testify.

If millions of new customers get Unreal, it will create #growth. Skimming money off the poor students that can just barely afford Unity isn't a business model that grows. Making bigger money off large studios is the way it should be making money.

30. Neoku

Neoku

This is a technical (or more ethical) error of capitalism, that a thing cost the same for a poor and for a rich (food, a home, a medicine, a tool) in resume the system prohibited things and basic things as food to poor people, the correct is if you can pay more for a thing pay more and if you cant pay more not pay more, well, today a great tool for make games is free for all, possibly the world is changing for better.

31. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

@Kondor0 I completely understand that it relies on my ability to create the graphics that will look that good. What I meant was that if UE4 has the potential to greater graphics then why learn Unity if I want to switch to UE4? Also by your explanation you mean that I should just work on anything to learn how and not worry about what I want to do later and plan ahead? That doesn't seem right to me.

32. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

@rnakrani I never said anything about Unity not being capable of it. I stated that from what I've heard, it has the capabilities out of the box to being better then Unity Pro. Which means that I can create much better stuff without as much work. Of course if Unity announces tomorrow that Unity 5 is free I would love to download and use that. I would happily put in the extra work if it makes me a better programmer. I would actually prefer that.

Anyways UE4 pretty much crashed my computer so I'm back to Unity.

33. Kondor0

Kondor0

Because you are getting ahead of yourself, first you need to be able to do something. Are you able to do something? if that's the case now you can worry about making it pretty.

But whatever man, if you think you'll make a graphically stunning game with UE4 and everything else is not worth your time go with it.

EDIT: well, that your computer crashed shows that there's a lot of variables to take into account before jumping to an engine not only graphics (you should try to at least see if you can avoid the crash before giving up though).

34. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

People generally overestimate how much power UE4 has over Unity when it comes to graphics. This is largely due to the fact that so many indies use Unity and indies generally just aren't capable of pulling off high end visuals. Therefore the assumption is that Unity isn't capable of it. Whether you're using Unity Pro or Free, UE4 or even Cryengine, the biggest difference maker is usually quality of your art assets (within reason of course). There are differences of course and UE4 does have an edge in some ways, but not in the sort of way that makes a difference to most indie developers

BHB Unreal Comparison 02 small.jpg

Of course that being said, Unity 5 is bringing in the big guns with PBR, real-time GI, and reflection probes, which will make a huge difference. Plus we still don't know what new features will be part of Unity 5 Free.

If you're on a budget and want to stick with Unity, the way to go, which I actually did do for my game BHB: BioHazard Bot, is to start developing your game with Unity Free. Get something good and playable, and use Free for as long as possible.
    By the time you reach the point where you actually need Pro you'll be advanced enough to know whether game development is right for you and whether you have what it takes to finish (most people fizzle out). By then you'll also have saved enough money to get Pro (or Unity will have updated their price).

knr_ likes this.
  35. knr_

knr_

You don't need Unity Pro to create spectacular graphics. You can do that with Unity free. You do need an understanding of shader programming, or know what shaders you need to get for your game to give it the visual style you want.

But that would be true with Unreal too. So there is no advantage either way. If Epic shows off a demo with shaders they wrote specifically for a demo and it makes you go "Wow", that doesn't mean you will get those shaders out of the box and even it they were provided it doesn't mean they would fit the visual game style that you are trying to make.

As far as building things faster with UE4 like gameplay objects and such, good luck with that.

Sorry that UE4 crashed your computer :(

36. nipoco

nipoco

I'm pretty sure there won't be Unity Free after tomorrow.

37. byronbbb

byronbbb

Dear Unity,
    I would gladly pay $20/month for your Pro + Pro iOS, but the $3k it takes to get occlusion for mobile is a significant chunk of change for a hobbyist like myself.

If you wanted to go the royalty route, I'd gladly pay 10-15% after the first $3k in revenue each quarter or even the first $1500 each quarter. You can be more expensive, but I'd like an option that makes you money when I'm making money. For a hobbyist, $3k a significant chunk to come out of pocket.

Truly hoping you will make it easier to come back. You have the best mobile tech right now, and I'd love to use it. You guys really are awesome.

Sincerely,
    Byron

Teila likes this.
  38. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

I'm not worrying about the graphics being pretty yet. I still have a really long way to go before I can work on my dream project. In my opinion though its always better to plan ahead. I might get a year down the road and find out that UE4 is what I like to work with and would have helped me create a better game and I didn't give enough thought into planning that.

I think you are misunderstanding my attitude. I don't think that just because I use UE4 it will make me create a amazing game. I'm simply stating that it could help me more in my game that I would like to build then Unity. That's all.

My laptop crashed because its a 2008 Dell Latitude E6400. Its nowhere near top of the line. Its probably below the worst computers made now days. I'll certainly give it a try tomorrow but its to late to spend a while on it.

39. Kondor0

Kondor0

Ok, but that affirmation has very little support, don't you think? it seems you are choosing based on a hunch...

Try both, learn the basics and see for yourself what is the best tool for you, for your own sake don't speculate.

40. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

@Jingle Fett I completely agree. Of course Unity can be made to equal UE4. I just don't have the knowledge to do it. I want to acquire that knowledge though but in the meantime UE4 might be the better option for me. I dont want to make a mobile game and it seems that UE4 leans more towards PC which suits me perfectly cause that's the platform I want to release on.

I dont really know though. I could and probably am wrong with half of what I say. All I know is what I've heard and the little I've read on game engines. I dont really understand enough about computers to accurately understand half of what people say. I'm trying to learn though and I want to make the best decision based upon what I need.

41. NickHaldon

NickHaldon

@Kondor0 It doesn't have very much support. I'll admit that. I'll also say that I'm probably most likely choosing wrong. Theres so much that I dont understand that all I can do is make the best choice with the limited information I have. I dont know enough to compare the engines so I must rely on others who are much more experienced. I'll also say that I have a habit of getting really excited about something as soon as I hear it and not really thinking it through. I often say something and then later regret or wish I had phrased it differently.

(Got to go. See everyone later)

42. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

My thoughts exactly... Add that to the fact that this thread has gone on for 8 pages and not been locked. I suspect tomorrow's announcement has something to do with pricing.

On that note, I'd be sad if it became free because I already dropped $1,500 on the preorder. That being said, to those that say they can't afford it, I don't buy that. I've never even produced a game. I'm a hobbyist who loves to play with the technology. I wanted Pro so I used free to learn and dipped my toes into being an asset store publisher. It has been a great experience and I used it to finance my pro purchase as well as lots of asset purchases.

The point is, you can find ways to make the money. The asset store market is huge. With a decent asset that has enough need you can save up enough to buy pro very quickly and the final cost just becomes your time in developing, maintaining and supporting assets.

zombiegorilla and giyomu like this.
  43. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

Newbies seem to get endlessly hung up on this point. I think it's because you know so little that you are not able to comprehend how much this is a non issue. If you are a single developer just learning you will be lucky if you can finish making pong.

zombiegorilla and Kondor0 like this.
  44. orb

orb

I've even seen experienced developers spend weeks on something along those lines!

R-Lindsay likes this.
  45. Lypheus

Lypheus

Interesting, not biting.

1. They dropped the $19/mo for a reason, you can believe it's completely benevolent if you like, i'm betting it's more to do with a lack of market penetration as they had hoped vs Unity3D.

2. Just look at their own Unity -> Unreal page, check this out: http://screencast.com/t/uJMN5GkBIur . Pretty much says it all to me, do I want to go back to writing C++ again? Bleh ... been there, done that. There's a good reason why much of industry moved on from the 90's protege of programming languages.

In short, if you plan on making too little for 5% to matter on your game project's (i.e. less than 3k/quarter), don't mind using a painful language (did my time in TASM/BASM/C/Pascal and C++ thanks, never again) and hate an fluid workflow for animations and such ... sounds like UE4 is just right for you!

46. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

This is how I feel about unity...

"Yea.. we probably should add that really nice feature... but naaaahh... someone else will and sell it for 30 bucks on the asset store. It's a double win! We get a % from that asset AND we didn't have to do anything!"

47. LAUDSOFT

LAUDSOFT

Quoting Tim Sweeney, "you pay a 5% royalty on gross revenue after the first $3,000 per product, per quarter."

So could someone check this math please:

$3,000 x 4 = $12,000/y
    5% ($12,000) = $600 paid in royalties for the year
    or $600/12 = $50 per month

So $50/m is the minimum you would expect to pay if you made 3k per quarter, yes?

So let's say you made a little more, for example, $4,500/quarter you would pay $75/m then.

In other words if you make anywhere from the minimum $3,000 to $4,500 per quarter you are already paying about the same per month in royalties at the end of the year as you would for a subscription to Unity Pro ($75/m for a year).

The difference being that, you could potentially make far more with the Unity model once you are earning more than $4,500 because of the flat rate per month.

I'm not the greatest at math, but is that correct?

If so, this "free" offer is not blowing my skirt up, enticing as it sounds.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  48. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

49. nipoco

nipoco

Just gave Unreal another spin. I mean why not, since it's free and I already have an account.

But boy, the engine is now even more unstable than it was when I tried it a year ago. First launch, boom, sudden crash. Second try, third person template. Importing one of my meshes, getting lots of warnings. Try to scale the mesh up in the inspector, whole computer crashes.

Sorry, but what does the best graphics, an free engine and all the fancy tools help me, when the engine frequently crashes? And reading their forums, this is a issue for a lot users.
    Not to mention what performance hog UE4 is.
    Unity is by no means perfect. But at least I get my stuff done with it and that in a timely manner. Eventually it's all about productivity.

SunnySunshine likes this.
  50. R-Lindsay

R-Lindsay

If you made 3k per quarter you would pay nothing. You pay 5% of whatever you make above that.
    So if you made 4.5k per quarter, then you pay (4500-3000) * 0.05 = 75$ per 3months = $25 per month.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.