Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

That guide was made by a user added to the public Wiki, they simply incorporated into the docs.

2. Arowx

Arowx

1, Yep she is big but dog gone she is pretty. And not for web WTF Unreal has build to HTML already!
    2, Varies build to build I've hit stability issues with Unity (mostly due to 32 bit editor) and stability with Unreal (64 bit editor). Yes Unity can generate smaller builds and is more geared up for mobile.
    3, Both good, although I do get the impression that Unity community becoming polarised/myopic and can get hit by lots of can id make this... threads but Unreal now on an equal footing.
    4, Darn it have you tried Unreals prototype/default projects, look good, work well.
    5, I am a critic here as I think Unity and Unreal should not use their stores as crutches for missing features to the engine. Bonus to Unreal as it is open source.
    6, Well until today darn it you got me Unity rocked as indie with it's free licence. Now though!?

You missed Unreal native C++ code Unity Mono, yes it is platform dependent but I'm betting on native games having better performance.

And if Unreal allows blueprints to be compiled to C++ OMG.

Mind you Unity is adding C# to c++ so let the best engine win!

Check out Unreal Unity Cube Mark it's in my sig.

Or Html Unreal alpha version (required 64 bit browser Chrome/firefox) http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19148487/CubeMark/Unreal4.1/CubeMarkUnreal470/CubeMark470.html

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    gridside likes this.
  3. Neoku

Neoku

The end is near.

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  4. G-Mika

G-Mika

It's not like UE4 is better than Unity at everything.

For artists UE4 is great, but the major drawback of using UE4 when you are an indie developper is C++. On big projects, C++ compilation time can go up to 5-10 minutes when you change a single line of code. Imagine, as a programmer, if you wan to iterate on something, you need to wait up to 10 minutes when you change a line of code. In a AAA development environment, you have way less productivity as a programmer.

Until UE4 as an official mature support for an high level programming language like C#, I can't see myself using this engine for productivity reasons.

elias_t likes this.
  5. arkon

arkon

Probably because the only people moaning about the 5% are the people who have never released anything. I get annoyed at people quoting the $1500 price for Unity, it's not, its more like $4500 then $2250 every 2 years if you want to put your games on mobile and actually make some money. (I hate the current Unity price model with all the extra licences needed for different platforms). The only reason I've not jumped ship yet even though I have the UE4 subscription is all my current games are Unity and I need to support them. My next project will probably be Unreal Engine unless this announcement from Unity is actually worth something without making Pro users feel screwed over.

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

7. zenGarden

zenGarden

In fact there is already people making big demos and games with Unreal 4. Don't forget big games like mmo Terra 2 using UE4.
    UT5 is far from what UE4 can achieve in terms of graphics , really far. Just dig UE4 graphic features to understand.
    And updates with new ones are fast.
    There is good reasons why there is some people selling successfull games using UE4.
    Some indies jumped to UE4 , also small indies like a "Hat in Time" game, and it will be others.

Also there is room for more than UT and UE4 engines for different needs.

8. Neoku

Neoku

Is curious, the new reel of Unreal use the same music that the Unite 2013 game showreel, is a hidden message?

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Enjoying yourself, Zen? ;)

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Just telling there is no black or white truth :rolleyes:

And i wont start pointing again advantages of each one ( tools out of the box for one, C# for other etc ...) it's useless.
    Take the right tool that suits your needs and your money.

11. Andy-Touch

Andy-Touch

A Moon Shaped Bool Unity Legend

Yes, it is the same music as the Unite 2013 trailer. Its good to see that Epic have good taste. ;)

DanSuperGP and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  12. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Someone said something about Epic being desperate or had to sell out to Tencent "because they were going bankrupt"...

Please. Just take a look at how many copies Gears of War sold before they did sell the game to Microsoft... Do you really think Epic is desperate for money? Or simply don't know who you're talking about?!
    Epic, make games. Some seem to forget that; Being a tech provider is not their only concern.
    Their new strategies of making their products available to 'everyone' is how Tencent operates. That simple, it's not because 'Uh duh Epic is desperate, they won't last'.

13. zenGarden

zenGarden

Some people forgot "Fornite" game is in the makings perhaps ?

PutridEx likes this.
  14. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Full access
    5% of success vs $1500 + $600x for a chance of success

It's an indie thing. If you've already got a stable job, the $1500 is nothing. If you're an indie developer, payout nothing until you can afford it is the obvious choice.

At least there's only 1 right now :D

Teila likes this.
  15. CodeMonke234

CodeMonke234

I find the tendency for the industry to polarize the tooling interesting.

The reality is that the issue is much more like who is better Batman or Superman, than it is like Luke vs Darth.
    There is no bad guy - there is no single right answer.

A few years ago, I spent quite a bit of effort writing OpenGL to get my game in AppStore.
    Now I can use Unity or Unreal. An Both are SOOOO much easier for me.

Unreal is Free. This is a good thing as a consumer.

Is it better than Unity in all situations? No.
    Is Unity better than Unreal in all situations? No.

And learning and using BOTH engines is easier than developing your own OpenGL engine.

:)

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  16. HemiMG

HemiMG

And the people moaning about $1500 (or $4500) are all super successful? Boy, you see what you want to see, don't you? And lest people be confused about which side I'm on, I was never complaining about 5%. At this stage, I'd be really happy with a royalty option from Unity. But you do have to take the 5% into account. 5% is not free. It's just not. Words have meanings.

Devil_Inside and Ryiah like this.
  17. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Funny thing is that those who usually bitch and moan the most about how SUPERIOR Unreal is have very little or nothing to show for themselves. I see people spending a lot of time on forums posting their long winded opinions which would have been better spend on their game/project.

ChrisSch, Jingle-Fett, SteveJ and 3 others like this.
  18. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Wow, this is happening sooner than I expected.

I was saying this last year - that Epic has the option to "go nuclear" on Unity's ass by dropping that $19 per month subscription fee model if they so wish - because they got money in the banks from their own games such as Infinity Blade series, Gear of War series, Unreal Tournament series...etc and not to mention they are backed by the Chinese search engine conglomerate Tencent with $$$ BILLIONS as their ammunition.

Well, UT didn't react to their strategy and still insisted on their own pricing model. I think UT is doomed.
    Unless that secret "big announcement" that's coming in 17 hours is going to be "Unity 5 Pro is going to be free" then nothing will save UT now. NOTHING.

19. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

That's not the case anymore since months ago. Sometimes 'hot-reloading' C++ code in UE4 is now taking less than 30 seconds. And for things that require loonng prototyping iteration, devs experiment with Blueprints first and then they use a feature that converts Blueprints to C++ code to implement the complex code in C++.

Ryiah likes this.
  20. Neoku

Neoku

One of things that make superior the Unreal community (yes, is small compared with Unity community) is the respect.

z00n, 0tacun and inrain like this.
  21. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Respect has to be earned.

PS: I respect developers, artist, etc who actually work and finish games/projects. Otherwise, I respect you or anybody as human beings just like anyone else.

Kondor0, Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  22. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

anyone with a semblance in public relations will tell you this is not true

BrUnO-XaVIeR and Teila like this.
  23. Neoku

Neoku

Unreal (Epic) have the respect of all game industry with the exception of this forum.

24. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

1. Different target audiences. Developers who target PCs/Consoles likely won't give two S***s about how good or bad either runs on mobile devices. It's something to decide on a project to project basis.
    2. Cannot discuss, haven't used UE4 (yet?).
    3. Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with the Unity community. One the one hand you have tons of helpful people on the other hand the forums are flooded with lazy newbies. And I mean lazy ones. I already saw threads like "How to make stuff happen when I press a button?" Sometimes when I look at the scripting board, I just think "Jesus Christ..."
    4. Quite good, although I don't know how good they are for UE4.
    5. Sorry, but I need to call bullshit on that one. Asset stores would be all fine, if they weren't used as crutch. Two examples:
    I need to use a third-party input manager and forked the Unity Serializer because it stopped working with Unity 5. IIRC the latter consisted of +10k lines of poorly documented code that I didn't write. It was an insane amount of work to get it working again. What for? Rebindable keys and savegames. Those are two features I shouldn't have to deal with, since they are neither new/innovative nor exotic. Games used those features forever.
    7. That's not really a point that speaks in Unity's favor. What other developers achieved with Unity has a) no effect on your success and b) that kind of argumentation smells of confirmation bias. The amount of YouTube-Trash games made with Unity is insanely high. Neither matters though. The only thing that does is what you do with it.

As for me:
    I'll just wait for UT's annoucement.
    I'm not delusional: Neither engine is perfect. There are gripes I have with Unity, there will be gripes if I were to change to UE4.
    There's just two reasons I find UE4 attractive now. Their pricing and C++.
    As a student with little disposable income subscriptions hurt me way more than royalties.

andmm, Ryiah, Arowx and 1 other person like this.
  25. tiggus

tiggus

People who live and breathe this stuff every day seem to get more personal about it, which I can understand. As a user who has used both and does it strictly part time I am just looking for the best tool for whatever my current hobby project is that is within reason costwise(I once considered Unity Pro reasonable pre UE4). If price was removed as a barrier to Unity Pro it would certainly sway me back since I sunk a good few years into learning it.

Point is, I don't care how Unity makes money or how Unreal makes money, I don't run those companies. I'm absolutely positive both Epic and Unity have ways to monetize their marketshare, I'm not crying in my sleep for them as they lower prices. I'm just a user and I'll pick the one that gives me the most features for an affordable price. Currently that is UE4 but we'll see what tricks Unity has up their sleeves tomorrow :)

Ryiah and Teila like this.
  26. zenGarden

zenGarden

I agree all indie people should be happy and have the choice of engine and price.
    Take the tool you prefer ro the good one that allows you to have the job done. Each one is better ine their own areas.

But there is one point that UT will have to consider :
    intermediate people that would use Pro but won't or can't invest 1500$ , while with UE4 for free they have better than PRo features and tools.

I could not say better than that.
    But i think people will pick the more approriated engine , it's not only a matter of features sometimes,but more the tool that makes the job.

27. nipoco

nipoco

I don't know, for some reason I don't feel that much excitement about UE4 going free. I mean it was just twenty bucks anyways.

Looking really forward what UT is going to announce.

28. Teila

Teila

Respect should not be conditional on what a person does for a living or a hobby but should be earned based on how a person treats you and the others around them. I respect the guy who mows my lawn, and my teenage daughter just as much as I respect a lawyer or doctor as long as they are kind and respectful to me.

29. tiggus

tiggus

Yeah for me the free vs $20 has no impact really. The one thing I do see it helping with is the mod community who can now mod games without having to sub to the engine.

30. TemplateR

TemplateR

Thats great. My last time of UE-Mapping was 7-10 years ago.

When I am at home again, I'll download my UI4 and look at it. I'm more interested designing maps / levels as the programming of AI and so on. Let's see how the level editor-part is..

31. LaneFox

LaneFox

I like UE4 and Unity.

Am I still allowed to post here?

ChrisSch, Divinux, elbows and 3 others like this.
  32. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

With the tools to match. I will be brutally honest - UNITY makes thing for an artist very hard. EPIC makes things for an artist and programmer really easy providing what you know what you are doing. Which is not much - However they give the ability for an advanced user to get incredibly advanced systems work.

Most if not all of the games industry respects Epic Games due to the tools, technical support, and the people involved in the company.

That said the Unreal community is awesome. Wish I could say the say the same about the community here. The experiences that I have had with the unity community are incredibly negative. They range from name calling, Trolling, to flat out obscenities to which some moderators have taken part in.

That said - I do not respect Unity as you said respect has to be earned.

MyGenericUsername and inrain like this.
  33. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

I dunno... I'm sure most of us have tried UE4 already.
    $19 a month isn't anything for most people making a game, the initial UE4 offering was a much bigger deal than this.

tiggus and Devil_Inside like this.
  34. Teila

Teila

You are right, it is not free! But neither is having to buy pro after your company makes $100,000, not per product, income. So neither is really free by your definition. ;)

Andres-Fernandez likes this.
  35. TemplateR

TemplateR

Well I´ill also stick to Unity, because of my distance Learning.

36. HemiMG

HemiMG

I never claimed that either of them are free. My only point is that it's silly to claim that Unreal is free and Unity costs money. They both cost money. Which one costs more is entirely dependent on the project. Which one is the better deal is entirely dependent on your point of view. Which market each company should target is entirely up to them.

chiapet1021 and Ryiah like this.
  37. Neoku

Neoku

possibly one of the errors of Unity is have moderators instead community managers, a communty manager know that any user or any person deserve respect.

aiab_animech and Teila like this.
  38. tiggus

tiggus

Totally agree, I'm actually far more excited about my new sit/stand desk I just got than this news. *whiirrrrr*

DanSuperGP likes this.
  39. LaneFox

LaneFox

Silence! You'll anger the dragon queen!

Neoku likes this.
  40. Arowx

Arowx

Maybe we need a more holistic approach as game developers. We need great game engines, therefore should we not support all accessible game engines and help each other develop great games.

Why do we so easily step into tribal dichotomies, AMD v INTEL, AMD vs Nvidia, Unreal vs Unity, Android vs iPhone, Republican vs Democrat, Dirty energy vs Clean (OOPS!).

How can we explore and find the best in both of these 'Free' game engines and use that to improve both!

Or am I forgetting that this is a cut throat industry with high staff turnover and a race to the bottom pricing structure with portal pimps with 30% cuts!

Darn it for a moment there I thought we could have been free!

41. Teila

Teila

Absolutely!! Although, Unity people constantly stated that Unity Free was...well, free. It was their way of shutting us up before they closed a thread. lol :) Regardless, I am sticking with Unity.

HemiMG likes this.
  42. Ryiah

Ryiah

Does this include those who break forum rules? Does this include those who constantly beg without showing any effort on their part?

I agree with @Thomas Pasieka. Respect has to be earned. The only criteria in my opinion is how they treat others.

Devil_Inside and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  43. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's very much what I do mate. I respect anybody if you read my post carefully.

Teila likes this.
  44. Teila

Teila

So you did, after your preface. :) And you do try to tell us to go work and not spend time in the community, attempting to shame us into leaving. The community is one of Unity's shining feature, one of the reasons many of us stay with Unity.... and YOU are a part of it. You make it more shiny so let us shine, please.

45. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

By all means shine all the way you want ;) What I am trying to say is that a lot of the energy wasted here would be better spend elsewhere. With that said, I got things to do... see ya all tomorrow.

BrUnO-XaVIeR and Teila like this.
  46. fearfactory

fearfactory

Vast majority of us won't make any money off our games, sadly. And Pro is required to make our best shot at revenue on mobile.

If you don't understand that, its because Pro is required for post processing on mobile. Unless you're making 2D games, post processing is very helpful.

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  47. Arowx

Arowx

Tomorrow?

48. Ryiah

Ryiah

Very helpful? Certainly. Required? Not at all. Especially if the list of successful games has anything to say for itself.

The profiler on the other hand...

Devil_Inside, DanSuperGP and HemiMG like this.
  49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Quoted for emphasis.

To be clear, I've nothing against Unreal at all. But boy, their marketing team are flogging it for all its worth!

Teila likes this.
  50. Teila

Teila

As did Unity's...they all do it. It is why it is called marketing. :)

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.