Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaron

Xaron

Oh and I might add that this calculation is only valid if you're a lone rider. Being in a team the up front costs of unity are not a minor issue anymore.

Teila likes this.
  2. Whippets

Whippets

I'll have 3 AAA titles finished before you :)

Rodolfo-Rubens and Dreamaster like this.
  3. vexe

vexe

4. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

'The thing about Untiy is, you don't like the editor? you can write your own. '
    Technically you can write your whole 3d engine in a 'text editor', but the reason we pay 1500 USD is to avoid that:)

makoto_snkw and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  5. vexe

vexe

Except you get a barely-usable shi**y editor out of the box :)

6. Arowx

Arowx

Darn it I just move over to Unreal scraping together my subscription and cutting back on noodles and what do they do open the floodgates to the Unity Free crowd!

Just when I had found a community that wasn't always asking how to make their own MMO!

I suppose there is always Cryengine hopefully they still have a pay barrier to entry! ;)

BrUnO-XaVIeR and SunnySunshine like this.
  7. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Have you ever seen any 'good' editor? I haven't seen any.

8. MagicZelda

MagicZelda

Ive been a dev for over 30years and stumbled across Unity 2 yeas ago, been playing with Free version ever since. Subed to UE4 5 days ago LOL great timing. I prefer Unity and my 7 year old can use it (prob better than me :). Pricing ideas would be good (while prob to late). so perhaps Unity 5 could be Free and you pay when and if game makes a profit that exceeds the price, then keep price at 1,500 or so.

9. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's like they try to make Unity people go aboard in some easy way.

Why Unity should not do the same :
    Unity for Unreal 4 developpers :D

They'll have to change the pricing.

It depdsn on the game you are making, if you don't require PRo features ? but i agree UT is the best easy to use engine, and C# is just awesome compared to C++.

10. masterprompt

masterprompt

I guess it would be pointless for me to contribute to this thread as my opinion is already obvious.

honprovet, z00n and Schneider21 like this.
  11. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I've spent thousands of moneies in the Asset Store; Thus I understand what he was saying. I've made some money there, yes, but wasn't for the money I did the tools, was for the experience and all the grands I've got I've injected back on tools I though was interesting to have and learn something from. But yeah, Unity Pro needs a lot of extensions to achieve great results. Even the Pro license.

12. Neoku

Neoku

Because the strategy of Unity is ignore Unreal, but today this demostrate that is a wrong solution.

13. kebrus

kebrus

I really hope tomorrow's announce is worthwhile. I'm not leaving Unity for now since I'm too much invested in it right now but I'm already planning on starting learning UE4, I really don't like blueprints and the coding workflow is slow and painful. That said, unity price model a bit outdated and unity lacks proper support. I wouldn't even look at UE4 if I knew if unity's old bugs were getting rid of and some of engine features where updated, like the terrain.

14. elmar1028

elmar1028

Don't forget there are going to be major announcements from Unity. ;)

15. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Even with the Pro license you have to spend over 1000 USD to get the best result. And that 'best' result does not match what you get from UE4 out of the box. Personally I find it sad.

16. knr_

knr_

As someone who was produced three games that have won Game of the Year awards in the past seven years and a Unity Pro licensee since version 2.6 personally I am going to say this (as a independent Unity developer, not at my former day job):

It is great that there is competition. At the same time, the reality is that even if something is offered for free (with a 5% commission after the first $3,000 of profit) it does not mean its a better product.

My thoughts:

1) As someone with over seven years of professional game development experience, I would MUCH rather program in C#. The fact that Unity allows me to do this and in Unity 5 it will recompile that into native C++ for me is a huge win.

2) Workflow is incredibly important. Have you tried making templates (Unreal's version of Unity's prefabs)? Yeah, thought so.

3) A full compile of the engine, at least the last time I tried, took my Core i7 4940MX with 32GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM and dual NVIDIA GeForce 980m's TWENTY FIVE MINUTES on a Samsung Pro Evo SSD using RAPID mode. Unity loads up quick and I'm off to the races getting stuff done.

Just because something is offered for free doesn't instantly make it the better choice. While Epic has made great improvements to the workflow (aka the Editor) for developers to get stuff done, its still a long way from how easy it is to get things done in Unity.

For now, I am going to stick with Unity. Its worth it. Especially once version 5 is out with the new networking architecture.

ZJP, TwiiK, AhrenM and 4 others like this.
  17. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

For me, and many people, it's not just about the money. I myself couldnt care less about paying $19 or not.
    What matters to me are the future consequences of all this in the whole picture.

18. vexe

vexe

Let me guess, the audio mixer?

Xaron, z00n, elmar1028 and 2 others like this.
  19. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

If you do contract work you pay no royaltees. That means that pretty much the entire non-game sector has Unreal Engine as a totally free tool.

BrUnO-XaVIeR and Em-de-Nem like this.
  20. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Yep, that is simple incredible and a game changer for visualisations. Although, the UE pipeline is not half as good as the Unity is in many areas.

21. Neoku

Neoku

Only few countries have a per capita incoming for that pay the Unity Pro license be possible for game indie developers, this never has understand by Unity or simply has ignored and have a Free version that is a disavantage for indie developers for the limitations, today Unreal demostrates that Unity commercial model is a old model and this will be can the end of Unity as company if not change.

22. inrain

inrain

Paying $1,500 in royalty to Epic would require a game having direct revenue of $42,000 in a year (speaking on average), separate from other games. Certain quarters have sharper numbers, obviously. Anything less than $3,000/quarter for any game is zero royalty. Theoretically, a developer could have 20 games, pulling in $240,000/year in total among them, and still not owe a royalty. If you ever make something that becomes a major hit, Epic welcomes negotiating a lower rate. No major title is paying 5%. They negotiate.

Xaron, Ryiah, BrUnO-XaVIeR and 3 others like this.
  23. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

I agree when it comes to coding and project workflow. When it comes to graphically implementing your ideas, Unreal is way way superior though.

24. ZJP

ZJP

Sound great. No? :p

25. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

2) is a question of differing entity management and something you have to learn. because it's a different engine
    3) you can download compiled UE4 binaries with game code source - except UE4 has the choice of offering full engine source, something Unity does not offer

26. Teila

Teila

As someone said, Unity Pro is tough with a team, especially when that team is your family. Student licenses help but you can't get subscriptions with those.

27. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

'Unity 5 will actually work well in 5.0'
    That's never gonna happen:)))) One of the things I hate in the IT industry (it is not Unity-specific).

But never forget: it brings major workflow improvements like you don't have to mess with scaling (0.01 to 1) anymore...

Being serious: I agree completely that project workflow is far better in Unity, overall graphical quality is far better in UE.

Kogar likes this.
  28. Neoku

Neoku

Is crazy but Unity is not free for education.

29. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I love this, one of the least well-optimised engines in history, finally going free, beautiful.

30. elmar1028

elmar1028

Updated asset store. With more responsive interface... :p

31. Teila

Teila

No, but it does give a discount for a commercial version, half the price. No subscription though.

My son is looking at BS degrees and it seems most of the schools use UE4 now rather than Unity. When he started his AS, most used Unity. So he is going to have to learn UE4 anyway it seems even after working with Unity Free for two years.

32. knr_

knr_

I know how their entity management system works. I also know how node graph based game engines work which don't use the typical entity-component type of architecture that most people are familiar with.

I have no reason to touch Unity's source. I can do everything that I need to do with Mono's implementation of C#. I don't need to have that choice.

33. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

This is just wow, impressive.
    Immediately had to try it out and noticed a simple example scene makes my PC fans go off like they're trying to create a tornado to move me to oz.
    While Unity with like 7 seperate image effects in a full scene still keeps my pc silent.

I'm really curious though what this UT announcement will be tomorrow.

And uhm.. i guess.. cryengine now lives up to it's name? :D

34. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Yea... we heard that before. How'd that work out?

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Then that's a Unity flaw.

36. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

much more people are familiar with the inherited actor classes that UE4 uses because it's been that way throughout UE3 and UE2 and UE1 and most other commercial engines (source, ce3). it's unity that's the odd one out with its component entities

if you have no reason to touch engine sources then what were you doing compiling UE4 from the source?

37. knr_

knr_

Curiosity.

And I would have to respectfully disagree with you about their actor classes. Maybe in your world it is true that most people are familiar with that, but in my experience that is simply not true.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think this is good because it means Unity will have to take action to stay competitive.
    5% can be a big deal depending on how much your project makes though.
    Then again, Unity does cost $1500 for a Pro license and if you're looking to target mobiles, you're looking at $4500.

BrUnO-XaVIeR and Em-de-Nem like this.
  39. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's still too high for a small indie team dev without money in their pockets , but that have great ideas and good talent.
    While with UE4, all the team can start making the game without paying anything.

truefx001, BrUnO-XaVIeR and Em-de-Nem like this.
  40. orb

orb

Yes, the CPU goes to 100 degrees soon after launching. Even while staring at the preferences. This rules out UE on my laptop at least (unless I'm on a train, where I can charge it).

41. Teila

Teila

Well, I prefer Unity myself. :) UE4 is missing some things we need or they are difficult to do. I don't mind paying but it is difficult to do with a team of more than one. With T3d, we never had a tough time attracting coders. They either bought the engine or the cost was negligible so we bought it on a revolving license plan that let us move it to another coder if one left. That makes no sense to us now so we are missing team members and trying to make due.

Of course, teams like ours are not all that important. :)

42. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  43. HemiMG

HemiMG

Ah, yes, I was mistaken. I was thinking it was 5% if you make over $3000 per quarter, not 5% after the $3000. But still, major studios are not going to see that as a good deal. An additional $12000 isn't a big deal for them. Look at some of the post mortems of successful Steam games. They make that much in a day. Everyone here is still looking at the pricing from a hobby level. That doesn't seem to be the market that Unity wants to target. Sure, you can cut a deal with Epic to remove the royalty, but how much does that cost? We don't know.

44. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Linux editor

45. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Wait till you have to lightmap a game level with ~3.000 objects and ~5 million polys :)
    Tons of fun ;) (well at least it won't 'die' like Unity does on me anyways)

Em-de-Nem likes this.
  46. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

I feel sorry for CryTek. Really do.

47. CaoMengde777

CaoMengde777

wait... is there a royalty thing with Unity??... my understanding is there is NOT.. its JUST $1500 once .. ? (unless you decide to upgrade)

idk... royalty (even 0.0001%) i think is 10000% worse isnt it?
    ... i mean obviously, you can do the actual math and find out price difference...
    but i mean.. bound to contract to pay money is just an abysmal idea..

and yeah... unity youre bound by contract aswell to pay $1500 .. but .. yeah idk, i prefer a onetime payment rather than .. forever ..

knr_ likes this.
  48. Dis93

Dis93

Teila mentioned the education market... this is a big point. Quark used to be king of the DTP space, Adobe gave InDesign free to educational establishments. After a few years, everyone new to the DTP industry knew InDesign, not Quark.

BrUnO-XaVIeR, Teila and Chman like this.
  49. LaneFox

LaneFox

I don't. If you want to target a specific crowd then your product needs to be appealing and approachable to that crowd.

50. Neoku

Neoku

Pay royalties is a very reasonable way for returning to a company that give to you a free tool for make games, is totally the inverse model of Unity Pro where you need pay us$4500 for the tools for make a game that you dont know if will be succesfull (if you cant make a next game using Unity your lost us$4500), the 5% royalties after us$3.000 sales per quarter is a incredible deal near to totally free.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.