Search Unity

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yoonitee

yoonitee

Also I think it's slightly misleading. Yes it is "Made with Unity". But it might also be "Made with" Photoshop, Blender, Maya, 3D Studio, Audio Software.. etc.

2. yoonitee

yoonitee

Did you ever see that episode of Dr Who with the Happy Police? Who went round making sure everyone only had happy thoughts? I think they were made of liquorice allsorts.

We are debating. Let us debate. We are having fun bitching and moaning. In the UK it is our national sport. Let us have fun!

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Alright knock yourselves out :D

yoonitee likes this.
  4. zenGarden

zenGarden

Buying in the asset store , you give back something, and publishing a game that has a splash screen you also make free adverts for free. If your game encounters lof of success, then people will know it's made with Unity, so again it will be even more big and free advertisment for Unity.
    Your success is also Unity success.

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Hey, once again use the forum like it should be and don't remove the quote link tags when you reply to people. I now saw that you replied to one line of my text earlier but you removed all the tags so I did not get any notice. Now you partly quoted yoonitee but before I found it out I had to scroll around to find the text.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

How to use the tags ? i just copy/paste and insert quote.
    I don't remove anything.

7. Ostwind

Ostwind

Use the reply button at the bottom right corner of the post :)

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

We learn new things every day :D

Ostwind likes this.
  9. chingwa

chingwa

Or you can highlight part of the text and a little "reply" bubble button will pop-up :)

zenGarden and shkar-noori like this.
  10. ZJP

ZJP

Conclusion :
    Unreal Engine 4 FREE.. UNITY 5 TOO.....
    Now we can concentrate on our favorite GE? :p

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

What I'd like to see is either:

1) A price reduction for Pro packages (inc. Android, iOS, etc.)
    2) Ability to purchase Android / iOS package as a standalone that includes all regular Pro features without having to purchase the regular Pro version
    3) Bundle Android & iOS packages together: they each share large market share of the mobile market so few people are going to want to develop exclusively for one over the other.

12. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Unity said they will refund me in 5 business days; I'm happy now, see ya :)

jcarpay and Neoku like this.
  13. jashan

jashan

And so is the value of Unity Professional Edition.

Well, a few people complain really vocally that Unity 5 Personal Edition does not have all features that Unity 5 Professional Edition has. Like, you can't switch the editor skin ... or you can't customize the splash screen. Also you can't just use all the shiny new cloud based services (I haven't heard people complaining about that one ... yet ;-) ). Or Cache Server, or Asset Server.

So apparently, Professional Edition does have something that the Personal Edition has not. In an ideal world, that wouldn't even be necessary. But we're simply not there, yet. Democratizing game development is a really good start, though ;-) ... eventually we'll have shelter, food and Gallardos democratized and Unity Pro will disappear because the Unity devs will not need to be paid anymore ... which will probably make Unity even more awesome faster.

But that's the future. Today, you have two options:

a) You want to create an awesome game and make less than $100,000 a year and you don't want to financially support UT by buying a license. So you go with the Personal Edition. You can use a $1500 engine (or $4500 engine if you add iOS Pro + Android Pro) for free with very little limitations. That's totally awesome.

b) You want to be a professional game developer, you pay for your tool. You do the math: Somehow, those 550 or however many employees Unity Technologies currently has have to be paid enough money to pay their rent and buy some food. They probably generate some income through the Asset Store, some income through their cloud based services and some income through selling Unity Professional Edition Licenses. They give you something that is extremely valuable to you. As you're using the software it's just logical that you buy the license and write it off as expense for tools like every business person does.

Actually there's a few more options now: You can use Personal Edition and add some subscriptions. But let's not make things too complex for now ;-)

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Bye, enjoy UE4. And I guess you didn't need legal action after all ;)

jcarpay, BrUnO-XaVIeR and ZJP like this.
  15. Zeblote

Zeblote

refunds in favor of personal edition should come with a contract that you can't create a game with unreal engine afterwards :D

16. Marionette

Marionette

here's an area that i wish Unity would delve more into. using their own engine/tools to publish a commercial game. just like Epic does. it would increase credibility without the need to shame those of us that really can't afford the pro version.

i mean seriously, even how you worded that "...and you don't want to financially support UT by buying a license" implies that i personally want to do them harm or that i'm just here for a free lunch so-to-speak. i'm happy to share my fortunes with UT if it's reasonable, however while i wish no one ill will, i also can't be thinking about: "jeez, i'm not using pro. which dev doesn't get to eat tonite?" kind of thing.. that isn't on us, that's on UT and how they run the company and the strategies they employ. to guilt us into pro because of that situation is disingenuous imo..

bigdaddy likes this.
  17. jcarpay

jcarpay

But what for example does the iOS Pro add-on brings me on top of the Desktop Pro version?
    Just a custom splash screen for iOS option. Nothing more.
    Where is the US1500,00 value in that?

Deleted User likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Another idea: Pay-Per-Feature.
    That way people who want just the customizable splash screen can just pay for it.

jcarpay likes this.
  19. chingwa

chingwa

I think people may be misinterpreting this point. I don't think it's that getting rid of the splash screen represents $1500 in value, I think it's that "Hey, we enabled you to make games and become successful enough at it to make >$100,000 last year. We supported you, now please support us."

20. Marionette

Marionette

*THAT* i have no problem with and is *already* covered by the license model. to display it to end users to guilt the developer to do it potentially pre-emptively, is a bit scandalous imo..

that's the issue i have.

why give us all the goodies to use and create things with, then denigrate us for doing so??

jcarpay likes this.
  21. zenGarden

zenGarden

You still have engines choice.

22. Marionette

Marionette

agreed. and i have UE4 as well. but the point is this: even though i didn't invest in pro (*yet*), i have still put a lot of personal time into learning Unity, creating stuff with it, buying assets for it etc etc.. just jumping ship, seems a terrible waste of all of that..

23. chingwa

chingwa

Why is it scandalous? Seems pretty standard practice in my experience. You can either pay ahead of time, or you can help advertise the tools that helps you achieve your awesomeness. The only problem I have with it is the "personal edition" line below the Unity logo, that thing is just stupid.

24. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

This is true in the US as well. Most employees don't realize this however.

25. Marionette

Marionette

that's exactly to what i was referring to ;)

26. chingwa

chingwa

Oh. well in that case YEAH! :D

27. Zeblote

Zeblote

I think we can conclude that literally everyone here wants "personal edition" to go away

28. Marionette

Marionette

man i hope so.

Deleted User likes this.
  29. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

No, I think it's fine.

30. chingwa

chingwa

Well, just to clarify, the name is fine.... just the inclusion of it on the splash screen. THAT should go.

31. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Yeah, I don't care about that either. I think people are dramatically overstating how much gamers will care (or even know)

ZJP likes this.
  32. Marionette

Marionette

you don't think you're understating it a bit at the other end of the spectrum? i think, like most things the truth lies somewhere in the middle, but tbh, i personally (if you'll excuse the pun) would like to err on the side of taking it out

33. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Maybe... part of my not caring is I bought my Unity licenses a few years ago. But I do really think that customers are not going to give a crap about the words "personal edition" or judge the game significantly as a result.

34. orb

orb

But you care enough to voice your opinion, so you do care ;)

35. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I care enough to disagree with the statement "literally everyone here wants "personal edition" to go away."

36. Deleted User

Deleted User

That's why. You're not included in the "everyone". Everyone means everyone using the personal edition.

37. RichardKain

RichardKain

Yeah, I don't really feel comfortable having someone else speaking for me. I don't particular want the "personal edition" text to be removed. I'm fine with it.

If Unity provided the option of changing it in the editor to whatever non-empty string value I wanted, I would be fine with that to. I could have some real fun with a feature like that. "Poison Edition," "Carbon-Emission Edition," "Tongue Depressor Edition," the possibilities are endless.

But for the time being, I feel that the word "Personal" is far better than many of the other possible options. This could just be a consequence of my personal perspective (bu-dum-tish), but its the way I feel.

CDMcGwire and DanSuperGP like this.
  38. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

Yeah, think how much worse it would be if it said ... "Made with Unity Free"

39. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP

I want to know if there's a way to add in the splash for Pro users that say "Made with Unity Professional Edition" so I can flaunt that I actually gave Unity money.

40. yoonitee

yoonitee

What's happening to Unity 4 Pro? Will the back catalogue of Pro become free too? Or do they count as "Professional Editions"? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

41. Zeblote

Zeblote

Nothing. Unity 4 is no longer supported. :D

42. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes it is..! They are still releasing updates. Where do you get this info from?

DanSuperGP likes this.
  43. andmm

andmm

I'd much rather see "Powered by Unity" than the current one... it's just miles better. "Personal Edition" kinda reminds me of those early youtube videos with the hypercam watermark...

Tanel, DanSuperGP and Deleted User like this.
  44. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

REAL TIME!

z00n likes this.
  45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Koola's stuff looks better and this is nothing but speedtree and good lighting / shaders:

46. kebrus

kebrus

Guys:
    1. make an awesome game
    2. put it to sale
    3. gain $$$
    4. buy pro and get rid of splash screen
    5. ???
    6. Profit! ... wait, what?

that said I also don't like the wording on the new splash screen, powered by unity was indeed much better, I think I would feel humiliated for being poor

Deleted User likes this.
  47. Woodlauncher

Woodlauncher

Just because it has makes no difference for us, the developers, doesn't mean it is meaningless to Unity. That "Personal Edition" line may make help players associate bad games (more of them will be released with the free edition) with "Oh, it was made in the Personal Edition, that's probably why it sucked" instead of the old association of "Oh, it was made in Unity. F*** Unity".

Are associations such as these prevalent or even important? I don't know.

No, I am ambivalent about it. You could conclude that figuratively everyone wants it, if you wish :)

DanSuperGP likes this.
  48. yoonitee

yoonitee

Even though you just said that players will think that "Personal Edition" games will suck?

49. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Unfortunately, a bit over a year ago most dictionaries added to the definition of "literally" to include hyperbole for emphasis. So "literally" is now synonymous with "figuratively". There is literally no word for what literally used to mean. ;)

While I get what people are saying, (and maybe it could be worded differently), the reality is players are seeing the splash screen they have already downloaded/bought the game, and started to play it. At that point it is all on the developer. Players aren't going to buy/install a game, launch it and then instantly force quit at the splash screen because they see "Personal Edition".

DanSuperGP likes this.
  50. yoonitee

yoonitee

But they might have second thoughts about upgrading freeware if it looks at all dodgy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.