Search Unity

Unreal Engine 4 FREE...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrUnO-XaVIeR, Mar 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipoco

nipoco

Looks bad? Come on dude! The Paris demo runs with baked lighting, Unity's demo does not. The graphics are quite identical. Unreal has only better screen FX and particle effects. And that's it in the graphics department.

The real benefits of Unreal are not the graphics. It's the sophisticated toolset you get in it's vanilla version. Unity needs to get more artist friendly like Unreal, with a node-based material editor and visual scripting build in IMO.
    But Unreal comes with it's own flaws. It is not very stable and you still feel like a guiana pig for Epic. Besides that it is very demanding on hardware and the build sizes for mobiles are ridiculous.

And I have no clue what you're doing. I never saw anything of your stuff, just talking mostly about Unreal4 and how well it fits your big project. I really wondering if you have ever made a game so far. No offense.

And when people get so excited about saving $20 a month, I really wonder if they are in the right business (if this is a hobby, never mind).

But whatever floats your boat. I for one don't switch engines as often as changing my socks, just because I can save some pocket money.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Admit it, you're just fishing for likes. ;)

Ony and Xaron like this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

As an asset store publisher, you have to give 30% to Unity on whatever money you make, so where is the difference?

BrUnO-XaVIeR and Xaron like this.
  4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Marketplace vs software. World of difference.

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  5. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

konsnos likes this.
  6. HemiMG

HemiMG

Are you really asking what the difference between a retail outlet and a game engine are? I get the point that you think you are making, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  7. TwiiK

TwiiK

I'm not going to comment on your opinion of Unity, because you clearly have no clue.

As for the Unreal demo, sure it's played in real time, but I'm willing to bet everything is static and baked. Which is the opposite of an interesting gameplay experience for me. If I wanted to look at something like that I'd just watch a movie. I want to interact with my games. I could if I wanted to render absolutely gorgeous lightmaps in 3ds max and use them in Unity to get a near photorealistic look, but in doing that I would limit my possibilities in terms of fun gameplay.

How many games have I played recently with graphics like that? Zero.

How many games do I want to make with graphics like that? Zero.

How many games have I played recently with graphics you can easily get in Unity Free? All.

How many games do I want to make with graphics you can easily get in Unity Free? All.

I'm currently super psyched for Hotline Miami 2, a game made in Game Maker, an engine which I think is tripe compared to Unity Free. Get some perspective. Most of you have not made a game in either engine or even seriously attempted to make a game. It's not engines that create games, it's people.

Just try and actually make a game and you'll realize what actually matters. I know graphics and pricing are easy to compare, but it's not what matters. Not when the differences are this slight. You make them out to be huge, but they are not. For someone just fiddling with this as a hobby (I am myself actually) it can be huge fun to launch Unreal Engine 4 with an amazing looking example project and fiddle with that, but how do actually turn that into a game? The character in that example project probably took one guy a year to make. And the level you're fiddling with took another guy a year to make. And both of them have dozens of years of experience. In the end you just have to close that example project and start on your Pong clone no matter what engine you're in.

How often do you see the people who actually make successful games in Unity on these forums? Very rarely or never. They're busy making games.

Rovio chose Unity for Bad Piggies and as far as I know they managed to make that massively successful game without encountering all of these apparently huge limitations in Unity.

Even Blizzard chose Unity for Hearthstone. Why? Are they mad? Unreal Engine 4 is so much cheaper. They could have saved a ton and all those AAA next-gen graphical features surely would have helped them made a much better game. A game which would have given them hundreds of millions of players instead of the measly dozens of millions of players they have now.

PS: For anyone wondering, I post here because I'm a troll at heart and I enjoy these threads.

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's not my UE4 project but a team indie project and i can't post about the project, i work mainly on 3D art side, but i have personnal game test with UE4, i really know how to use it on the essential gameplay with Blueprints and how to use the tools, how works UE4 and how graphics looks lot better than Unity, better effects, better looking PBR, shadows, TXAA etc ... And how better particle editor , shader editor are out of the box.

Yes UE4 is lot more demanding, not as easy , but it is tailored for big games. Gears of War 4, Terra 2 mmo are only ones among others.
    And could it not please you, but Epic is just getting more indies on their side making and selling games already.

I understand people using Unity and prefering it, but they don't need to try saying Unity 5 can be equal on graphic sides or tools.

Well it's infinite debate.

People are not stupid, some that really tried it know how UE4 looks, and what it offers out of the box for big scale projects, while they know how easy and lightweight is UT5 and why UT is better on mobile.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. HemiMG

HemiMG

I hear tell that Disney also uses Unity for some projects. I'm not sure where I got that from. I think the Incredible Hulk told me.

zombiegorilla and Em-de-Nem like this.
  10. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

Unreal Engine 4 sucks in terms of mobile device compatibility.. Proof:-> https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Android_Device_Compatibility
    (I do mainly games for mobile, well started, can't say anything about the rest platforms)

Those who are blessing the UE, I don't understand at all.. Did you ever check their forums? At least go to Android part, and see how many S***s is going on, about simply starting the Tappy Chicken template. Not everyone can handle to start that examples in their phones, and I'm not talking about developing under that engine.. loool. Not everyone can understand the source code and add some changes to it, it's all PR bullshit. I bet you can also have Unity's source code, if you really want and got some $. The fact, only those who got big money, can handle the source code, change it and improve it, cause it needs a lot of resources. Indie dev and alone warrior doesn't need that source code in 99%.

So, to sum up. Don't be cheap. Using Unity's free version you can make any game that you want, and if you are that smart enough when YOU CAN handle the UE's source code, than you dont need the Unity Pro either. Because you are so cool, that you could write your own plugins to do the job, which Unity Pro does. Need proof? Check the asset store. You can find almost any Pro feature in the asset store. So, if someone coded it, then you can also, if you are an awasome UE's source code lover.

P.S. In for history. ;)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I agree with him, even dynamic lighting in UE4 looks better than baked in Unity 5.X! In todays market if you want to earn money you need the best available to you with the least man hour impact. Biggest example is nothing but terrain and Speedtree examples, you see Koola's version compared to one made in Unity and jeez Unity looks retro to say the least.

It is an amalgamation of decent post and beautiful lighting, in which you'd have to be a genius to screw a scene like that up. Which is what's frustrating for Unity users, I agree with everything else though.

Unity is far more stable, scripting is far easier (although BP is far faster to work with than both C# and C++), I still prefer the import pipeline in Unity,UE4's still useless for mobile and VR plus UE4 is wayyy too heavy in most cases.

I'd of preferred it if Epic would charge more and hire an abundance of staff for support. I would consider Unity again in a heartbeat if they'd just get with the times..

zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  12. TwiiK

TwiiK

For anyone interested you can make your own feature complete game engine written in c++ by following this guy:
    https://handmadehero.org

That way you won't have to deal with either Unity or Unreal Engine 4 and your engine will be completely free and you can implement any graphical features you can dream of.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes because that's easy for an Indie developer to do, I have a fairly large team and I've built engines in the past. If you want to make an actual game, don't even bother..

14. MIK3K

MIK3K

If Unity went to the same price model as UE with 5% of revenue and grandfather in the current owners of the pro version with no royalties then it could be a win.

Unity needs to swipe some of the terrain and BSP tools from UE4. Paint retopology, erosion, ramps, visibility (for terrain holes).

darkhog and Deleted User like this.
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

There are even better open source engines with tools also.

16. tynew

tynew

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those graphics are not impressive at all and look like they predate 2010. Heck, it looks worse than Crysis from 2007. The best looking games currently released from Unity are Stranded Deep and the Forest. Unity will always be 5 years+ behind in visual quality. Sure PBR is a huge improvement, I've been making art with PBR for a while now and I'm using it for my own project with Unity. But the whole debate of Unity being able to look as good as UE4 is flawed. Unity was designed to be a jack of all trades, and has left the reliance on developers to create 3rd party plugins to make it look HALF decent.

The fact that
    1. UE4 gives out the entire source code means no technical limitations to the public. You can't complain about something because you could just code it in yourself or someone else will. If I had a penny for every complaint towards Unity's technical limitations on these forums, I'd be retired.

2. Everything out of the box visually destroys anything Unity and 3rd party plugins has to offer. If you want a AAA next-gen looking title then UE4 is for you IF you have the artists to do so.

3. Epic continue to create their own games with UE4 means they want the engine to be as good as possible and make the tools developer friendly.

It's far more appealing to use UE4 as an indie working on a PC title even with the 5% royalty. That percentage is not even that huge if your making less than $15 million.

17. jashan

jashan

Nope. Royalties totally suck. If they give me an awesome store to sell my games in ... and don't adopt their Asset Store Sales policies ("at least 50% off for sales" - WHAT???) ... I'll be happy to share 30% because they help me sell my game. Royalties for the engine itself? Forget it.

18. jashan

jashan

I'll be happy to give you my bank account to wire the $750,000 ... it's not even that huge after all, so you could donate it to someone who will totally appreciate that generosity ;-)

So let's see ... that's 500 Unity Pro licenses. Not bad ;-)

HemiMG likes this.
  19. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

I'm still saving up for my pro licence. Just sayin'...

20. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is something lot of people here don't understand, as Epic has intern feedback on quality and tools, not only the community. While Unity must rely on community and wait for users crying out and loud when things are outdated or features are missing.

Metron, BrUnO-XaVIeR and TheSniperFan like this.
  21. Ostwind

Ostwind

Heh, seems that currently this thread is about 2-3x times more active (posts, views) than the official thread at Unreal forums :rolleyes:

22. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Nice cartoony graphics. Looks pretty much AAA; from like... AAA of 5~7 years ago.
    This is UE4 though:
    [MEDIA]

[MEDIA]

TheSniperFan and Ryiah like this.
  23. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity has always had a great community. :D

jashan, Deon-Cadme and TheSniperFan like this.
  24. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

This, a billion times!
    I've made the point in the past: If UT were to do it like the Blender developers and actually use their tool to create a game from time to time (and not some small mobile game, but a decently sized PC/Console one), we would have gotten the new UI, new terrain and a decent input manager ages ago.

It works for Blender, it worked for the Android team over at Facebook and it surely would for UT.

Nothing creates more incentive to fix problems than being affected yourself.

darkhog, cakeslice and BrUnO-XaVIeR like this.
  25. MIK3K

MIK3K

That's why I said current pro users would have to be grandfathered in with zero royalties. There was already talk about why making Unity Pro free wouldn't work because of current pro users having paid $1500 plus whatever the addons cost for all the platforms (I've heard of people talking about being in Unity for $4500) - but I think it would work if they are just immune from the royalty (at least through Unity 5's lifespan).

I am new to Unity for just a few months and really like it. I'm all for whatever direction they go to stay competitive and bring in new users. But honestly me personally I'm just a hobbyist and if I ever make a game to sell then I will buy pro, but that may never happen. Unity has made some good money from me though through that damn asset store :mad:

26. zenGarden

zenGarden

But finally perhaps it's better to have Unity not racing in the triple A field, and keep it's ressources and efforts for staying good in mutli purpose games : 2D,3D, Desktop , Mobile.
    Like today, Unity makes the core for any 2D or 3D games on any platforms, while users make plugins to enhance it's features and bring missing tools. So Unity can stay focused on multi purpose engine.

I don't think Unity should try to be like Unreal 4 or Unreal 4 should try to be Unity.
    Each are better in their own domains.
    It's good like it is, pick up one for some needs and the other for other needs , that's simple :D

BrUnO-XaVIeR likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You're all going to cry like bitches at the Unity announcement and I'll giggle in glee!

konsnos, ZJP, shkar-noori and 7 others like this.
  28. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

Contentious threads are much more fun than happy threads. Some of the reactions here are priceless.

Time for more popcorn. :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  29. HemiMG

HemiMG

I'm sure anyone in the know is more anxious than the rest of us for the announcement. I know the Unity folks had to be chomping at the bits to tell us about Oculus support when that debate was raging on a few days before the announcement.

shkar-noori and jashan like this.
  30. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

I'm guessing their announcement be will something along these lines - a near copy of Epic's terms or something similar. If so, the debate can finally be just about which engine is best for a project's needs (which is all that really matters).

We'll find out in a few hours!!

31. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're evil for encouraging me to stay up the few hours till the announcement. :p

shkar-noori, jashan and hippocoder like this.
  32. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Haha, what IS this post even!!
    Well right back at you:
    I wonder if anyone at Unity is actually fixing some of the terrible bugs that hurts any kind of iOS development in Unity right now (both U4 and U5), or if everyone is here at the forum defending themselves with snarky comments?

Geez man, get real. Some low class community management stuff going on in here.

Xaron and Daydreamer66 like this.
  33. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Im thinking since hippo seems to like its got to be something about the licensing, maybe an all in one pro type thing.

34. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

I think we are all trying to make the forum database running out of disk space ...

35. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

You missed my point.
    I was talking about QA there. Look up how the Facebook app for Android was developed.

36. LaneFox

LaneFox

Just the thought of Goat Support alone brings tears to my eyes, I can't imagine what else could be in store.

Xaron and hippocoder like this.
  37. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

UE4 requires a high-end machine to use the editor properly; They've never tried to hide that. Those minimum specs they have on their page is just to have to program running. I've got a very expensive PC to work on it mainly because of the process intensive lightmapping. (May eat more than 20GB RAM on certain situations)
    But guess what, I've left Unity behind because Unity can't handle the scene I wanted to build. It will always plain crash on the lightmapping phase and with UE4 I could go even further from what I was trying to do by working a level pieces each at a time and then loading each one as a streamed level, all while in editor mode.

38. LaneFox

LaneFox

"UE4 Announcement crashes Unity website"

ZJP likes this.
  39. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes i missed it, it seems.

This would be great and helpfull indeed, and UT would be not so behind in terms of terrain or tools.

40. Neoku

Neoku

this is the spirit of the unity community.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think you'll love the announcement though. You'll be staring at that youtube link in intense anticipation for the universe-shattering event that unfolds!

shkar-noori and jashan like this.
  42. N1warhead

N1warhead

Haha Ikr!

Dude just give us a HINT pleaseeee hahahah.

43. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Alright alright. OK. Fine. I'll tell you at approximately 8.30am PST / 4.30pm GMT ... I just have to do a few chores first!

shkar-noori, Ryiah and Deon-Cadme like this.
  44. Neoku

Neoku

4:10:32 the end is near.

Ryiah and hippocoder like this.
  45. HemiMG

HemiMG

Andy is a product evangelist. Meaning that it is part of his job to defend the product. We are game developers, meaning it is our job to make games, not forum posts. He is doing his job. We aren't.

zombiegorilla, jashan and Ryiah like this.
  46. TemplateR

TemplateR

Can you tell us, what this announcment definitely won´t be?

47. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Haha, oh man... You're cracking me up man.

48. Ostwind

Ostwind

Please, when your are quoting someone don't remove the name or link.

49. jashan

jashan

That's because Unity probably has 10 times the user base or more than UE ;-)

SunnySunshine likes this.
  50. fearfactory

fearfactory

Price is raising to $500/month for indies/students? and dropping to $5/month for corporations making over $1 million?

lol I'm laughing and crying at the same time because that's where the trend went since 2009.

If its the opposite of that, I will uninstall Unreal right now and never look at it again. If.

Xaron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.