Search Unity

Unreal Engine 3 comes to Mac OS X, September UDK release

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chadchat, Sep 20, 2011.

1. chadchat

chadchat

2. Metron

Metron

The thin line of supported OSes shrinks... I hope Unity can keep up with this new competition. I'd love to see a lot of the UDK toolsets implemented in Unity :/

3. iindigo

iindigo

Excellent! This will definitely bring some high-profile, AAA-grade games to Mac OS. Microsoft's death grip on the PC game sector loosens a little more!

4. Jayanta

Jayanta

What about the Unity3D and Unreal comparison ?

5. Jessy

Jessy

I thought it was cool, until I heard that their editor will continue to be Windows-only. I only like one game made with that engine (Shadow Complex), which of course isn't coming to anything that isn't running on a Microsoft OS, so the games don't interest me. Not having an OS X Editor doesn't help people who don't want to use Windows get jobs in the industry.

6. Dreamora

Dreamora

And it does not help to make the iOS support ever get realistic and support native code plugins either, a fundamental requirement as Epic can and will not implement all the needed things to have even minimal chances to stand out from the 500k app crowd

But aside of that, sweet :)

7. MrBurns

MrBurns

Hmm? What about the Epic Citadel Demo? Or what do you mean by iOS support realistic?!

So you make your job choices dependent on what OS they use ^^? I mean if you'd have to use Linux, I would definitely think twice but Mac and Windows ^^? But ok...

8. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

without proper tools and editor for osx and better workflow for ios, its pointless, its just marketing candy..

9. MrBurns

MrBurns

Hmm I think I can never remember that you need Mac for iOS ^^. Don't they have andriod support too? Then you could develop this one first and just let UDK generate the iOS stuff in parallel ?

10. janpec

janpec

Wow this is nice news for UDK devs.

11. Dreamora

Dreamora

Realistic means that you can go by Apples intend that they have made pretty clear last year with the ToS change that temporally banned any precompiled engine like UDK, Flash, Unity etc: Apple wants you to make use of iOS unique feature to create great experiences.

UDK actively prevents you from doing so becaues you can not use ANY native code in UDK. You can use what it provides, point. Thats it.
    Its one of the few techs thats totally iOS unfriendly as per Apples definition of what they see as adequate iOS support and if Apple ever gets pissed over technology that omits iOS feature for the sake of crossplatform support, then its pretty clear that UDK will be among the first that will be targeted through measures as long as it is incapable of supporting the iOS reasonably and it seems that Epic still has no incentive going there (Editor to OSX or at least output an xcode project that must be compiled on osx instead of the gcc cross compile on windows)

And no Android has not happened yet.
    Was mentioned to be in the works and their only real game (thats worth playing, not their swipe tech demo) is there already but I guess they by now realized that its not as easy as on iOS thanks to a few dozen hardware combinations + the trouble of Android <= 2.2 vs Android 2.3+ vs Android 3 vs Android 4 combined with drivers and optimizations ranging from as crap as Intel or ATI drivers up to drivers of the quality of a superb NVIDIA version.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  12. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Oh, you do. If you want the source code to your iOS program compiled for iOS at least.

13. saymoo

saymoo

Wow, isn't this the same with Unity..
    no native code, you can use what it provides, point. That's it.
    UScript == Javascript/Boo/C# in terms that it isn't native code. It's interpreted by the the runtime (e.g. Mono).

Before you start with plugins etc.. that is also possible with UDK.

Neither of the two engine provide source access by default. Both need a expensive and special license to access sourcecode. So you always be limited to the possibilities that UT and Epic has put into the build/version. You cannot change that at all at core level.

14. Dreamora

Dreamora

And there you are wrong saymoo.

Unity has plugins that can access native code, correct, independent of the mobile license you have.
    The functionality in these native code plugins can be exposed to Unity as the plentitude of plugins, including Prime31s, show.

Also the code is not interpreted, its AOT compiled on the desktop already. (.NET has no intereprete mode, it only can compile on the fly, but that as well as eval will not work on iOS at all)

But UDKs DLLBind is Windows exclusive (potentially now also OSX, would need to check), it can and it likely never will work on iOS.

To bind against static libraries (which DLLBind does not support at all, its dynamic library only) that use the iOS SDK (ie basically all) requires that you to have the SDK present and make use of it, which legally requires XCode and thus OSX.

15. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

So Game Center and alike are all built into UDK already? You can't try to link plugins like Prime31's? If thats the case, that totally suck.
    And their editor didn't go OSX, only game build. UDK still very bad choice for me.

16. Metron

Metron

Question: Who gives a sh** about UDK not entirely supporting iOS? Apple, as such, has lost quite a lot of my esteem in the last couple of months. At this is true for quite some people around me. They have tried to enfore their law to the developers and failed to do so. Unity is still available on iOS even though it goes against part of Apples EULA.

And I doubt that Apple is going against UDK either. It's opening the Apple platform to one of the pillars Apple has build up with the iPhone, iPod and iPad: Games. UDK has a certain reputation and a long list of multi-million selling hits. I'm sure they have contacted Apple before putting so much effort into their software to port it to iOS.

17. saymoo

saymoo

Let's keep ontopic shall we? namely: OSX added as target platform. (funny how people start about IOS while that is an entire different subject)

so....
    i am happy that there are more players available for OSX as target platform. The more the better.

18. janpec

janpec

Agree, some people just have to find something to pick on when it comes to other engines.
    UDK editor is Windows only, but why not looking it from bigger picture? Its the supported platform result that matters the most.

19. Metron

Metron

Looong time ago, Unity was Apple only ;)

20. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It doesn't go against any part of Apple's EULA. Anyone who wants to use features not directly implemented by UDK cares about the iOS support. If Unity doesn't support something, OK, you go and implement it yourself. If UDK doesn't, you're out of luck.

--Eric

21. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

As a mac user, can someone tell me what this means for me?

22. Dreamora

Dreamora

that there is a 2% change that one udk title is being released for OSX, but thats it

23. saymoo

saymoo

It means, you can now make a game with UDK and have it targeted for OSX, besides Windows.

24. tatoforever

tatoforever

Funny how Epic is following Unity path (multiplatform, mobile, etc) while Unity is now putting AAA eye candy features. ^^
    Alright, my point, Unity destroys UDK asses, period. As a programmer POV, i really like to have low level access. For example, let's say, i want to implement my own shadowmapping in Unity, it is possible, In UDK forget about it. Unity it's easier and faster to use/produce but is also more low level than UDK. And that's provably one of the bigger features of Unity, covering both sides (low and high level dev).
    Unity lacks of some important tools but that doesn't stop you from creating them. On UDK, forget about it.
    The next big thing i really want to have in Unity is depth textures on Unity mobile. Please Unity, make it possible on v3.5! I'll be the happier Unity dev on earth. :)

25. janpec

janpec

Unity blows ass from UDK on the features like mobile and low end games. When it comes to high level, it is the other way arround.

26. U7Games

U7Games

is UDK continuing being a beta release?, i remember udk last year i was installed it but crashing sometimes ... and after i saw that all monthly releases were "beta".. i didn´t continue using it... switch to Unity.. by the way, UDK is impresive .. like CryEngine,, .. like Unity :D

27. janpec

janpec

Hm dont know about beta, if it is beta for sure is too strong word. Their software is just as updated and advanced in development as any other engine. It is crashing more than Unity for sure, and probably 10 times less than Cryengine.
    And yeh its awesome to have those three engines at use, all hail those three development companies for releasing this software.

28. tatoforever

tatoforever

An ex-coworker of mine which still working at Gameloft (my ex-job) told me today that they have canceled few UDK projects and they are switching over Unity. There's more and more big Studios adopting Unity, low cost, high production return values, quick prototyping/dev, low level access without any source code etc. ^^

29. janpec

janpec

I am not saying that isnt true, but it doesnt really fit with what i am saying, unless this studios are producting some trully AAA titles.
    And for what you have said, its still a huge fail. Number of proffessional studios that have used UDK and those that have used Unity is in huge favour to UDK.

30. tatoforever

tatoforever

That's not true at all, maybe Unreal Engine source code(which cost zillions times more than Unity + you still have to pay some royalties even for a source code license), but not UDK. Tell me only one professional studio making a commercial game with UDK? ;)

31. janpec

janpec

I meant UE3, which is basically what UDK represents. It doesnt matter what are the licencing structure of engine that they are picking, since for huge studios it doesnt matter that much the licencing plan, what matters is what toolset they chooce.
    I can only tell you for few indie studios that are using UDK and have good AAA games, which is just as much as it goes for Unity, except that Unity has one major studio. But i was talking about proffessional studios rather and rather about big titles, which is obvious that the most is covered under UE3.