Search Unity

[Unprofessional]How to create caves?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Sounds-Wonderful, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Sounds-Wonderful

Sounds-Wonderful

I want to create a cave filled with water and I want my character to swim in it.

What is the quickest free route you imagine?

EDIT: This is what I want to create. It should be (semi-)automatic. Important would be that I could define holes/tunnels of a minimum size so the player fits through and halls of a maximum size.

Example:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Sounds-Wonderful

Sounds-Wonderful

:|

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  3. BlakeGillman

BlakeGillman

Sorry for the late reply, as I have not checked the forums in some time.

Any way, you need to provide a little more detail

Are you asking how to create caves or are you asking how to make caves, and create water, and create a swimming system? If you need help with all 3 we can always chat through skype.

How to make caves:
    Depending on the type of cave you want to make, but usually unity's default terrain system does not work.
    Make the cave in blender or some other 3D software, then import it to unity and from there you can implant it into the area you need it. (If you need help doing this I am up for hire, very cheap).

How to make water:
    Try for now importing unity's default water

How to make swim:
    If the character is not going to be able to go underwater. The easiest way to achieve this is to make the water level just barely to your head and the land to not be very deep. So In reality you are standing on land but it seems as if you are swimming. Then just add audio effects. and maybe some animations.

If this tutorial didn't help you, feel free to send me an email at blakegillman@outlook.com

Check out my latest projects
    Here: bondogames.blogspot.com
    And here: aloneworldev.blogspot.com
    Email: blakegillman@outlook.com

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

There are some voxel terrain systems in the assets store which support free-form terrain (caves, overhangs, tunnels).

In the past, there have been tricks in Unity's height map terrain to make certain quads invisible (I think the stencil buffer was mentioned), allowing you to place a model of a cave on there. This is tricky to get working right with navigation and physics, though.

A cheap option is to create a 3D model of part of your terrain with a cave in it (since a heightmap is a regular grid on X and Z, it's easy to figure out the coordinates), place it upon the real terrain an then lower the terrain below the deepest level of the terrain under the model. If you leave 1 quad only slightly lower than the 3D model, you can avoid lighting / shadow artifacts.

5. BBeck

BBeck

Generally, I think most games would have a "cave entrance" model with a zone trigger that takes you to a "cave" scene. The cave scene would likewise have a zone trigger back to the main scene.