Search Unity

Unpacking nested prefabs not unpacking child component references

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Phedg1, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Phedg1

Phedg1

I have a series of nested prefabs I was attempting to use in my game. Long story short, I couldn't use them as nested prefabs, I needed to use them as scenes instead. So I've created new scenes, dragged one prefab into each scene and unpacked them. This was done with the intention that I was going to delete the nested prefabs because they would be no longer needed.

Some of the prefabs I had nested in my parent prefabs had a component containing a list to all the mesh renderers that make up the object. After unpacking the parent prefab in its new scene I found that these references to mesh renderers on the child prefabs do not point to the mesh renderes in this scene, but rather their counterparts in the parent prefab. I don't want to have to rebuild my scenes from the ground up again, not using the parent prefab at all. How can I fix this?

It doesn't matter what the component is, it is effecting all of my scripts.

2. runevision

runevision

Sounds like a bug. Internal references within a Prefab are preserved when I try to unpack a Prefab here, so we'll need a bug report with repro project and repro steps to be able to investigate.

3. KAJed

KAJed

This is still an issue in 2019.4.11. I just submitted a bug for it with a project and steps to reproduce. Case 1287352.

runevision likes this.
  4. KAJed

KAJed

There is now an open bug that was reproducible on their end: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-unpacking-outermost-prefab-in-nested-prefabs