Search Unity

Resolved Unorm not supported? [2018]

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by LilGames, May 20, 2022.

1. LilGames

LilGames

[Unity 2018.4.36f1]

Doing Windows 64 bit builds I get this warning for all my atlas textures that are set to RGB(A) BC7 for standalone:

[Unity] WARNING: RGBA Compressed BC7 UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture

And for Android builds, I get this for all my atlas textures set to Crunched ETC2:

[Unity] RGB Compressed ETC UNorm format is not supported, decompressing texture

So what am I supposed to do to avoid texture decompression when building? Is it because I have sRGB checked on?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
  2. LilGames

LilGames

*BUMP*

3. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

Do you get this when running Unity in batchmode locally?

4. LilGames

LilGames

In batchmode you say? I don't understand what you mean by this.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
  5. Benjamin-Gooding

Benjamin-Gooding

Unity Technologies

If you follow the instructions in this article it will help you run Unity in a manner that is similar to what we do in Cloud Build. You can take a look at your logs after building locally. If you see this same message locally then I would suggest we reach out to the Editor team for support on resolving this issue. If you don't get it locally then I would recommend opening up a support ticket so we can take a deeper dive into the issue.

LilGames likes this.
  6. LilGames

LilGames

@benjamingooding
    OK here's a happy update to this: It seems I was conflating the issue above, which happens in builds for an older game of ours (still in liveops) using Unity 2018.4.36f1, with it still happening with newer versions of Unity. I am happy to report that the "unorm" related texture issue does NOT happen when building one of our newer games that uses Unity 2021.3.5f1.

Since 2018 is no longer supported, I don't expect any kind of resolution. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others. :)

Benjamin-Gooding likes this.