Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unnamed Space Ship building game.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by smalldragon979, Nov 30, 2013.

1. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

I've been making this game for the past week in my free time as a learning experience using unity's new 2d sprites and physics.

In this game you build a ship using several blocks and fight waves of AI bots until you lose. I still haven't done much besides the basics and I still have a lot of bugs with the game's AI and ship editor, as you can see in the video.

I'm planning to add some more features in the future like more weapon and engine types, some proper AI, improve the art, and (eventually) make it an online team-based game.

2. inko

inko

Wow, this looks really fun! Who doesn't like building stuff and breaking it afterwards? ;)

I've actually been talking to a friend about a very similar idea just the other day and feel like an idiot now for saying it probably wouldn't work :(
    Go and proof me wrong! please! :)

3. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

Just added a couple new things to the game:

There are 2 new blocks: Batteries and ion engines.

Batteries allow you to increase your ship's energy storage capacity by 50W per battery. Allowing you to sort of get rid of the not-enough-energy problem, until you run out of energy again...
    Ion engines are just like the regular engines except they are twice as powerful, take a whole second to get to full speed and use energy to work.

I made some changes to the gameplay as well:

The AI behavior as now been improved, the AI ship's no longer stand still and now fire a lot more often. I also increased the ship's speed and added weight according to how big the ship is. All these changes make the game a very entertaining fast-paced shooter where as soon as you start losing blocks you are pretty much dead, especially when fighting multiple ships trying to flank you. :)

I also did some changes to the editor, getting rid of some bugs and making the invalid location arrow a nice transparent shade of red:

I'm starting to have the feeling that this game is not as realistic as it should be:

4. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

I haven't posted any updates in a while here because I wasn't able to do much work this week.
    The main feature I added is the option to Save/Load different ships using .txt files and a limitation for the amount of blocks you can place on your ship (25 blocks).

$LoadShipMenu.png

In the meantime I have also been playing around with physics and the enemy AI and added cockpit damage in order to make game more enjoyable, I hope to release a playable prototype soon.

$ShipBattle.png

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Looks like a 2D version of Space Engineers

cool stuff

6. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

I have been busy with school lately, so I haven't been able to do much work in the past few days, anyway I was still able to add a limit to the amount of missiles you can have on your ship: 2 missiles plus 1 missile for every wing on your ship (making wings actually useful), along with some GUI to show how many missiles you have left:

$missileGUI.png

Besides this, I only was also able to make wings (and whatever blocks are connected to them on the editor) only valid when they are connected by their side.

7. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

Just wanted to say I'm still working on this game. Over the past few weeks I haven't worked in this game as much has I would have liked because I didn't have much time and I had to rewrite several scripts once I realized that the method I was using to make the ships work and break was very inefficient and hard to use and therefore would to lead to a lot of performance related problems later on. :|

Anyway, I did work on some new things for the game:

$iLike.gif

8. Blacklight

Blacklight

Very nice. Any chance of a webplayer? This looks like it'd be fun to mess about with.

9. BinaryOrange

BinaryOrange

This looks really great! Keep up the good work! :)

10. Sparrow96

Sparrow96

Wow! this looks fantastic, would love to play a demo of it. :D

11. smalldragon979

smalldragon979

Yes, I want to release a webplayer version soon, but right now I still have to rewrite a couple scripts to make them work with the new ship system before I can release any playable version.

CubeXYZ likes this.
  12. Rousku

Rousku

This game looks great. Hope you are still working on it.. would love paly the webplayer version =).

13. TheBoxManGamer

TheBoxManGamer

Plz Relece the game

14. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

@TheBoxManGamer , this project is clearly dead... allow it to rest in peace.