Search Unity

Unlit texture looks different from original.

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Rienhl, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Rienhl

Rienhl

So, I'm importing a tiff image to use as a static background.
    Basically it's a Quad with a material where the texture is a 16 bit tiff and an Unlit/Texture shader.

When working/creating the image inside photoshop or opening it in any other software, it displays correctly. However, when I import it into Unity, colors look desaturated, general tonality and brightness changes. The image looks "washed".

I've tried different settings in the import options (Filter Mode and Format), but have seen no positive results.

It MUST be something really stupid i'm skipping, but i can't find the solution.

Any help will be appreciated :D

EDIT: FIXED THE PROBLEM.

In my case, Unity wasn't the problem at all. For some reason, my Color Profiles setting in Photoshop was set to "Adobe RGB". That's a NO GO when working for internet, devices... displays in general. Be sure to set your Color Profile to sRGB before starting your image creation process.
    If you want to know more about this, just search Adobe RGB vs sRGB and you'll find lots of articles and blog where people discuss the differences.
    In few words, almost everything for internet, devices, any kind of (non-super-mega-professional) display, etc work with sRGB. If you load a different color profile, color information is interpreted under other parameters and values and that's why you get odd results.

Hope this helps other people!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    Merman likes this.
  2. Rienhl

Rienhl

I forgot to mention, I believe it must be something realted to color profiles, but still can't find the solution.

3. Merman

Merman

Have you tried changing the format option from "Compressed" (which I believe is the default) to "Truecolor"? (I know that you mentioned trying different options, but I'm wondering about this one, specifically, because most of the issues I've had of similar nature have been due to that small detail.)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    Airship likes this.
  4. Rienhl

Rienhl

Thanks man! but yes, I tried all of them.
    Anyways, I found a solution. I'll edit my question to make it available for everybody else.

5. Merman

Merman

Glad you were able to figure it out. :)

Rienhl likes this.