Search Unity

Unlit Shading Mode?

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by EthanFischer, May 23, 2020.

1. EthanFischer

EthanFischer

I'm using HDRP and I have a scene that I'm working on that has a variety of light sources. The desired end goal is going to be kind of dark. However, for modifying geometry and adding models to the scene, I'd like to be able to see what I'm doing.

There is a dropdown in the scene tab for the Shading Mode, and I've looked at all the options, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Basically I want an option where everything is 'unlit'. So no shadows, no light effects. Everything is just equally visible.

upload_2020-5-23_14-28-4.png

So far, I've tried just deactiviting all the lights in my scene and adding a single light source, but that still produces shadows.

Anyone have a workaround for this?

2. EthanFischer

EthanFischer

I found a workaround. Put all your release lighting under one gameobject that you can toggle on and off. Then create another gameobject called level design lighting or something, and put 6 directional lights under it, each facing one of the cardinal directions. No you can toggle these two objects on and off to get the lighting you want for the end product vs when you're editing

upload_2020-5-25_10-1-38.png

upload_2020-5-25_10-6-23.png

3. Julien_Unity

Julien_Unity

Unity Technologies

You should try using the "default lighting" mode via the lightbulb icon at the top of the scene view. It's designed exactly for that as it gives you a non flat but very simple lighting so that you can see what you are editing in any kind of lighting environment.

4. EthanFischer

EthanFischer

Omg. I can't believe I didn't see that. It was right next to where I was looking. Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for

upload_2020-5-25_15-21-51.png

5. Elderoy

Elderoy

Hello, I have the same problem, and using default lighting isn't doing great as it still generate some weird reflections...

Is there any way to just have a full unlit mode ?