Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Unlit shaders on Mobile

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anwserman, Apr 11, 2013.

1. anwserman

anwserman

Let me preface this by admitting that I know this is a 110% subjective question. I'm just looking for feedback.

Anyways, I'm in the beginning stages of developing a mobile cartoon styled game, using Unity 3.5.7 Basic with iOS Basic. I'm currently using nothing but two shaders right now:

1) Tinted unlit
    2) Tinted unlit with alpha

I started using these shaders because I know they're simple, fast, and I can still tint objects as needed. Lightmaps and blob shadows, however, do not work on them - and that's the problem I'm facing. Everything stays at full-brightness! The most I can do is tint, and with clever tricks, I could easily change the tint of the materials during gameplay to give the illusion of moving within different lights. Since I'm aiming for a cartoon look, changing the sky dark and everything else stays bright still would be considered cartoony and "acceptable".

So, with my current selection of shaders:
    1) I can tint
    2) I cannot make blob shadows, unless I cast a flat, textured, plane beneath an object and adjust it to the ground's normal
    3) I cannot use lightmaps

I can look at using materials that support lightmaps, and there's this posting here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/125662-Why-use-lightmapping-with-I-have-the-Unlit-shader, using an Unlit Shader that supports lightmapping. However, if I recall, using a lightmap can completely slaughter dynamic batching, but then again I did purchase Mesh Baker which I think can bake lightmaps onto models (iirc).

What do you guys think? I'm just prototyping at this stage, so I'm wide open with what I can do. Ideally, I'd like to be able to able to bake lightmaps onto my static objects and then just tint dynamic objects to match the 'light' around them.

(I am aware that buying Unity Pro would solve this issue, but unfortunately buying Unity Pro would deplete my savings account many times over :p)

unityunity