Search Unity

Unknown shader compiler error using Unity 2019.2.8f1 when building iOS

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by kkl888, Oct 10, 2019.

1. jerryhamk

jerryhamk

I ran into this problem too when creating new projects on my Macbook Air 2015 running Catalina 10.15.1. Here are the steps I took:
    1. Create new project in 2019.2.11f1
    2. Switch platform to iOS
    3. Change from Release to Debug and enable Development build
    4. Hit Build
    5. Open the Xcode project, set up signing
    6. Build the project
    7. Run on iPhone 6S XX
    8. After a while the empty scene would show up on the screen of the device
    Here's the Editor.log this attempt:
    https://pastebin.com/qtgmpwW3

Next, I tried a trick I found here, which is to replace the UnityShaderCompiler executable with the one from 2019.3.0b10. I did the same steps as above, and instead of the empty scene popping up on the screen of the device, I got the Unity splash screen and no shader compiler errors in either Unity, Xcode or Editor.log. Here's the Editor.log: https://pastebin.com/AL4ZgVuK

I also tried to create a new project in 2019.3.0b10 and attempt the same steps as above. Again, no errors regarding the shader compiler were reported. Editor.log: https://pastebin.com/nF5uJ1sA

I have been running Jenkins on the machine and using it to succesfully build Android and iOS apps, but the projects have always been created on a Windows machine and then transferred over via a Git repo. As soon as I tried to create a project from scratch on the Macbook itself, this problem arose.

mmSimon and DigitalNerds80 like this.
  2. Conferno

Conferno

Has returned to 2019.2.9 via torrents from unity archive!
    The S***ty hub can’t see previous versions, what’s a shame ‍♂️

3. jason_yak

jason_yak

Hey.. you can install older versions in the hub by going to the archive page and hitting the Unity Hub install button: https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

But... Yes we too are experiencing these shader issues, we have a black screen, nothing renders. Confirming we're running Catalina, Gamma based, OpenGL rendered platforms affected. We had to roll back to 2019.2.4 before this regression issue started.

4. Grinchi

Grinchi

Same here for Android and Catalina :( all projects works but one does not wont to build :(

5. planetfactory

planetfactory

After more than a month.... is Unity going to fix this? I'm the only one that is astonished with Unity not fixing this?

Conferno likes this.
  6. jason_yak

jason_yak

Yea it's pretty crazy that OpenGL gamma lighting based projects are just completely dead.

7. jason_yak

jason_yak

That said, I just spotted that 2019.2.13 that it appears the issue is at least known about and being reported in the known issues so I'm sure someone is on the case:

https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/2019.2.13
    iOS: [OpenGLES2] Getting "Internal error, unrecognized message" when building

(^ at least it appears this could be the same issue)

8. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

I've sent this post over to see where we're at, hopefully this is useful!

jason_yak likes this.
  9. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

I've just updated to 2019.2.13f1 and still getting error messages from my custom shaders, but no visible building errors from Unity's own shaders. However, once built, I'm still getting just full screen pink where UI should be shown. I don't know if this could be just because the custom shaders don't compile, and therefore nothing compiles...

I'm getting an error message in Unity:
    "Shader Compiler: Compile <x> - DEFERRED / PREPASS / FORWARD, Vertex Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process. "

I've attached a "broken" shader (and the include file), maybe this is helpful or not... FYI all these shaders used to work before updating to Unity 2019.2+

In XCode I'm also getting an error saying:
    "Shader Unsupported: 'UI/Default' - Pass 'Default' has no vertex shader"

Attached Files:

10. Conferno

Conferno

I've downgraded to unity 2019.2.9 - it seems this is the last version where shaders works ok

11. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

I finally tried the trick mentioned before, about copying UnityShaderCompiler from 2019.3 to 2019.2 and it worked!

Thanks for all the help.

12. jason_yak

jason_yak

I couldn't get any version to work from 2019.2.5 onward, Im back at 2019.2.4.

13. Conferno

Conferno

yeah, I on this version now too - on this version shaders for ios and android both work. on 2019.2.9 - only ios.
    weird

14. marcipw

marcipw

This bug is really messing me up. The only solution for me has been building the android version on my PC which has been a right pain in the bum. Is there any real official fix in sight? I wish I had stayed on Mojave. :-(

15. savantedroid

savantedroid

I still have this issue with the 2019.2.15 version. Is there a permenant solution now?

mahmoud93p likes this.
  16. mahmoud93p

mahmoud93p

Still Issue with 2019.2.16.1f
    MacOS Catalina 10.15.2 / windows 10
    Android 6

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
  17. datagreed

datagreed

Same problem here. So, does it mean that currently there are no stable Unity versions (not betas) that work without modification?

For people on the internets who are stumbling upon the same eror as me and couldn't find relevant thread, here are some lines from my editor log:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed on expression: 'm_Type == kShaderVertex'
    3. Shader compiler: Compile Legacy Shaders/Particles/Additive - Pass 0, Vertex Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    5. Shader compiler: Compile Legacy Shaders/Particles/Alpha Blended - Pass 0, Vertex Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    7. Shader error in 'Hidden/PostProcessing/GrainBaker': Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    9. Shader compiler: Compile Hidden/PostProcessing/Uber - Pass 0, Vertex Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    11. Shader compiler: Compile Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading - Pass 0, Fragment Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    13. Shader compiler: Compile Hidden/Internal-DeferredShading - Pass 1, Vertex Program: Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    15. Shader error in 'Hidden/BlitCopyWithDepth': Internal error, unrecognized message from the shader compiler process.  Please report a bug including this shader and the editor log.
    17. Metal: Error creating pipeline state (Sprites/Default): Compiler encountered an internal error
    18. (null)

18. mmvlad

mmvlad

Jesus how Unity can be so incompetent.
    New versions are not working on the latest macOS and they just do nothing. But hey, they are working on a bunch of shiny useless features.

sp-LeventeLajtai likes this.
  19. DigitalNerds80

DigitalNerds80

Solved using the solution from @agmaster here

for now I think is the best and maybe only option

20. christianmahler

christianmahler

It's not listed under known issues of 2019.2.17 anymore, so possibly fixed in 2019.2.17f1.

21. jason_yak

jason_yak

Confirming that at least for me 2019.2.17 is working. No shader compiler errors, I've been able to run in the editor and build to iOS and Android devices and all working as intended.

marcipw and christianmahler like this.
  22. christianmahler

christianmahler

I can confirm it too, my nightly build went through, so fixed in 2019.2.17, 2019.3 and 2020.1.

23. Aramis14

Aramis14

It is an error in importing your HDRP rendering pipeline, and reimporting allows it to work again. The process is simple.

In the Window-dropdown at the top (where you would find File and Edit), you will see 'Render Pipeline,' which is a drop-down too, and click 'HD Render Pipeline Wizard.'

You should see Populate / Reset, and clicking that will resolve most of the errors. Click the 'Fix All' button for each configuration (HRDP, HDRP + VR, and HDRP + DXR).

That should do the trick. Play and see it works.

A side note: You will probably have to do this process several times through development.

24. Fantastic_Balage

Fantastic_Balage

OSX Catalina working setup:
    Project Settings > Player > iOS > Other settings:
    • Auto Graphics API: Unchecked
    • Graphics API's: GLES3, GLES2 (in this order from top to bottom)
    • Multithread rendering: CHECKED
    • GPU Skinning: CHECKED

25. DarthHawk13

DarthHawk13

Why has the shader compiler problem persisted for years? Unity 5 had it. I started out learning Unity with version 4 when a friend introduced me to it. Total love at first sight watching them use it. Unity seemed like the miracle I never knew I needed. Soon after I was introduced to it Unity came out with version 5.

Now I'm using Unity 2018 TLS version for a commercial project I've been working on for over a year. This project has been advertised for PC, Mac, and Linux. However the shader compiler bug stops builds cold. It's a game of chance trying to make a build with Unity. Mostly it doesn't work. After several failed attempts it decided to regularly work with Windows builds. Not sure what finally caused the flood gates to burst. That day I kept trying to build it and did so until it went though. Since then it has worked for Windows builds when other shaders are included besides the standard Unity ones.

Trying to get a beta build out to a Mac beta tester but Unity keeps hanging at the shaders. So many hours wasted just trying to build the project. Tried to get a Mac beta build out last week but it never happened. No matter what I did it always froze at compiling the shaders. Is 12GB of RAM not enough? I've already tried twice today and it hangs at the end of compiling the shaders every time. I'll try it one or two more times today and if that doesn't work then I've lost my beta tester because they have a life. If I just used Unity's standard shaders ta default project comes with it will compile just fine. I'm not using some exotic shaders, all I have done is included shaders available in Unity that aren't included in standard builds.

If this doesn't work today I'll have to seriously rethink doing this project with Unity. I've been giving Unreal Engine a serious look over. If I switch to that I'll need to redo everything in C++. But if I can't compile anything serious with Unity why use it? Why not upgrade to Unity 2020 beta or Unity 2019? Because I tried to move this project to Unity 2019 and it wouldn't work. Unity 2019 lost functionality. Want to design a in game level editor using anything above Unity 2018... sorry you can't! For some reason the ability to track the mouse position and apply it to coordinates on the screen was removed from Unity versions after 2018. But from this forum post it looks like that wouldn't matter as Unity 2019 has shader compiler issues as well.

Yeah, I could just announce this is being released for Windows only and loose a growing customer base while I look like an incompetent idiot who doesn't know how to press the build button in the Unity editor. But there's no guarantee the final build for Windows won't have the same shader compiler issue. Sure it works now for Windows but I don't know why it wasn't working to begin with or why it suddenly worked. I might as well find another engine that doesn't have issues making builds. This is super frustrating.

What have I learned? If something is too good to be true it is. Unity came on the scene as the most amazing game engine of all time. Too good to be true... looks that way. If you want to make a simple arcade game and put it on many different platforms then Unity is great. If you want to do a serious commercial project look elsewhere as Unity can't seem to handle it.

I've been noticing a trend in the game industry. Those with serious game making experience use Unreal Engine or program their own. Those who don't know how to program OR are just learning to program (like me 5 years ago) OR are looking to quickly release a title use Unity. I'm so frustrated right now. All my plans stopped in their tracks simply because Unity doesn't work. This shader compiler problem has persisted for years. Why? It makes the Unity engine worthless if you want to do anything serious.