Search Unity

Uniy 2018.2 Https webrequest failes on latest Hololens OS udpate

Discussion in 'VR' started by Deleted User, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is kind of a bad coincidence.
    With 2018.2 Unity decided to support proper certificate validation, while Microsoft Updated their Hololens so with the latest OS version the local certificate store is broken, outdated, I don't know...

The result is: a https request fails as if you were on a different target platform and just returned false in the certificate handler.

Does anyone know how to force a Hololens to Update it's certificate store?
    Or how to bypass the check in Unity? Overriding the Webrequest certificate handler is not supported on UWP...

I opened up case 1076758 last week , but I have not yet received an answer to this. It's probably completely on microsofts side...

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

Hey @Alexees just writing to let you know we see your bug report, thank you for taking the time to file that. I will get this report of yours over to Microsoft and hopefully a fix will come shortly. Have you reported it on their forums yet?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JasonCostanza yes, I also filed it here since that was where I was directed to from where they stated their knowledge about the bug. That's what they've written:

This is a tough one for our application. Would you mind updating me as soon as you know when this will be fixed or at least how to disable the check within Unity?

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JasonCostanza can you give me any update on the matter? Anyone I can contact too? Unfortunately this is a real breaker for my project.

5. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

I messaged your issue to some engineers I know over there, waiting for a response still. We unfortunately don't get any special treatment in terms of prioritization, so I can only make them aware of something.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JasonCostanza I still appreciate the effort, thanks for doing it.

JasonCostanza likes this.
  7. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Are you using UnityWebRequest of the one from System.Net?
    Are you saying the you do attach certificate handler and return true, but it still doesn't work?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Aurimas-Cernius thanks for asking this. I realized that it is possible to override the certificate handler on UWP when you do not use the encryption namespace. So I did that and just returned true. Despite the fact that this threw a NotImplementedException, the https request just worked.
    This monday, it just started working again and I have not the slightest idea why.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Aurimas-Cernius The error came back. I am loading an Image from our Website in our Unity app, which works on Desktop, Oculus Go and Mixed Reality Portal. It does not on the Hololens.
    I have found no way to dig deeper into what certificates are allowed on the Hololens, how it's local certificate store looks like, if I could manually add certificates.... it just does not work.
    Any news from the Devs you were talking about?

For recap:
    I could override the Certificate handler to always return true, but that's not really secure now is it? I cannot add my certificate manually as the corresponding namespace is not available.
    Edit: On Hololens I can not as the use of a certificate handler is not implemented.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2018
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Aurimas-Cernius I found a workaround I would like to avoid.
    When I visit each page in Microsoft's Edge browser, the certificates seem to get downloaded and I can use my app.
    I'd rather do this within Unity. Is that possible?

11. Roywise

Roywise

Would be nice if Unity did this by default, I haven't found a way to do this from within Unity. Did you?

12. Vander-Does

Vander-Does

We're facing a similar issue. We need to visit our site in Edge to get things working. Are there any updates on this?

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

We're in the process of working with Microsoft to get this resolved.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

You are? That's nice to know. Will the final solution, whatever it will be, be posted here?

15. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Of course. I also understand that it is very frustrating that this is taking a long time to resolve. Trust me, I share your frustration with you.

16. unity_7JXjLrCJX1I68w

unity_7JXjLrCJX1I68w

Is there any update on this? I'm also currently facing this issue while deploying to a HoloLens.

17. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yeah. The fix landed to Unity 2020.1.0a4. I have pull requests out for review for 2019.3, 2019.2 and 2018.4.

18. raggnic

raggnic

Hi there
    Is it available in Unity 2019?

19. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fix also landed to 2019.3.0b4 and 2019.2.10f1. It's still on its way to 2018.4.

raggnic and Deleted User like this.
  20. raggnic

raggnic

Nice, but now I have a new error message in the log.

Curl error 51: Cert verify failed: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_NOT_TRUSTED
    and then i have Unknown error (same as before)

I got my certificate with lets encrypt. Once i load the site in Edge on the Hololens, it is also working in the app.

Did you manage to have a https request in hololens working without first fetching the certificate in Edge?

21. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Yes, which Unity version is that on?

22. raggnic

raggnic

I got this Curl error message in 2019.3.
    Before I was using 2019.1, I only saw the Unknown error message (but i did not try to prefetch the certificate with Edge)
    I've also tried 2020.1.0.a4 but I may have other migration issues, our app does not run.

23. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Which 2019.3 beta did you try it on? The fix only landed to 2019.3.0b4, it's not present in earlier versions. And beta 4 is in progress of being published right now, so it's not available for download yet...

raggnic likes this.
  24. upeter

upeter

What is the state of the fix in 2018? Is it in 2018.4.10f1?

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Tautvydas-Zilys using this thread as a good example:

Would it be possible to change how bug reports and their fixes are published to the community? I mean, there are public and private issues so you're not even able to view them all. Crawling all the release notes of every version is cumbersome because you don't even know how it's describe. Even in here, everybody is asking for when and where fixes land, generating unnecessary work. And on top of most of these, we might be waiting for several fixes, so we basically need to run our own excel sheet that points out which fixes went into what versions to find a version with the least common multiple.

Would it be possible to let users subscribe to bugs they need fixed, which in turn automatically provides them the version they's need to download to get to current most fixed state?

Asking about every fix every time, having access to the issue tracker or not, knowing the naming of a bug or not... that's quite tedious don't you think?

raggnic and Vander-Does like this.
  26. FaberVi

FaberVi

Same problem on 2019.2.17f1... Any solution?

27. Anagr

Anagr

Hello everyone. I have a workaround at least for 2019.2.0f

1. Create a class that inherits from UnityEngine.Networking.CertificateHandler
    Code (CSharp):
    2. using UnityEngine.Networking;
    3. public class CertHandler : CertificateHandler
    4. {
    5.     protected override bool ValidateCertificate(byte[] certificateData)
    6.     {
    7.         return true;
    8.     }
    9. }
    2. Add an object of this class to every UnityWebRequest object BEFORE sending.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. var req = UnityWebRequest.Get(url);
    3. req.certificateHandler = new CertHandler();
    4. req.SendWebRequest();
    3. Celebrate victory :)

Hope this helps someone!

maturski62, Alond, kthrose and 4 others like this.
  28. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

@Anagr you are awesome!!! This helped me tremendously. Thank God for you!!! Keep up the good work.

Deleted User likes this.
  29. Anagr

Anagr

You are welcome ;)

Deleted User likes this.
  30. Roywise

Roywise

Just to be clear. This disables the certificate validation completely. Not something you would want, especially when you're communicating sensitive information.

sami1592 and ShokWayve like this.
  31. Anagr

Anagr

Yep, suddenly. It is not a best way, and it does not work for Android builds when they running on devices/emulators

32. drorriov

drorriov

Tested with the latest 2019.3 and it works now without the Cert error!
    I almost gave up on this weird bug.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah and since HL1 is not available anymore and HL2 is about to replace it, hopefully this fixed more than just that bug on the HL1, otherwise I probably feel sorry for whoever fixed that ;)

34. ShokWayve

ShokWayve

You are absolutely right and thanks for pointing that out. I will be enabling full certificate validation when it is on the device. I just needed it to work during the development phase.

35. Alond

Alond

Thank you

36. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

@Tautvydas-Zilys I'm also getting
    Curl error 51: Cert verify failed: UNITYTLS_X509VERIFY_FLAG_NOT_TRUSTED

Unity version: 2019.4.5
    Device OS: Android API-22 and below (Android 5.0.2 and below)
    I
    gnoring the certificate it's not an option for us, so I cannot support my product for devices with 5.0.2 and below... Do you know if there's any update on this part?

37. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Wrong forum, I don't deal with Android. Please post on the Android forum.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  38. maturski62

maturski62

Thank you so much, @Anagr. I've been stuck on this problem for almost a week now and just stumbled upon this fix!

39. medinafb01

medinafb01

I have the same problem with the Hololens 1, could you give me more information on where and how to add these codes. Please.