Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Universal RP Status

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by erikabar, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yes, they did that almost 5 months ago, and unfortunately no improvements since then. 5 months might not be a lot of time for Unity with all the stuff going on, but it is a lot of time for us.
    Thanks for taking the time! I hope some kind of fix will come out of this!

DungDajHjep and Peter77 like this.
  2. Elvar_Orn

Elvar_Orn

Unity Technologies

Yes, I completely understand that. Been on the other side many times in the past which is why I'm trying my best to help so you all can continue making something awesome.

That's also why I keep encouraging that you send us bug reports so we have something concrete showcasing the problems, like you've done. We're much quicker at spotting and fixing the issues once we have a clear repro.

The thing about your case is that it's only been reproduced on one device (Xiaomi Redmi 6 Pro) but the Nokia 6.1 hasn't been tested yet so I'll assume it's there as well. But it hasn't been reproduced on:
    • Xiaomi - (Redmi Note 8 Pro)
    • Motorola moto g(7) power
    • Xiaomi Mi A2
    • Samsung Galaxy S7
    • Sony Xperia XZ Premium
    • Lge V30
    • Samsung Galaxy Note8
    • Samsung Galaxy A5(2017)
    • Huawei P20 Pro
    • iPhone 6S
    • Windows 10 GeForce GTX 1060
    So it's not as general as URP if 40% worse than Built in (at least not because of this).

But to all of you, if you're experiencing worse performance in URP please send us a bug report. We really want to squish those issues.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    Ruslank100 and laurentlavigne like this.
  3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I sent a 2018.4 vs 2019.3 performance issue a while ago, but this project can be used to reproduce an URP performance issue as well. I was running the test below on a Samsung Galaxy S6 with Android 7.

(Case 1222366) 2018.4: Project-B to reproduce bugs/performance issues

2018.4-builtin-fwd.png

2019.3-builtin-fwd.png

2019.3-urp.png

URP in 2019.3 is about 3ms slower than built-in in 2018.4 according to the "median" value in the frame summary. Not sure if caused solely by URP, could be that 2019.3 is slower in general.

I thought I post you the case number in case there is interest to take a look why "newer tech is slower than older tech".

4. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

The thing is I've tested it on my main 2 phones, Xiaomi Mi A1 and Nokia 6.1. and both of them had this issue. The scenes in this test are barebones, so even a slightly better performing device might not directly manifest the issue, as it might have just enough performance to force through the issue and show a stable 60fps. This doesn't mean that adding even tiny bit of complexity to the scene (aka actual game scene) won't make the issue show up again even on better performing devices.

DungDajHjep likes this.
  5. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Hi,
    do you've got any ETA for fixes in this repo? Or will there be a new one with the LTS release? Not urgent, just curious because I liked the examples.

kinigeugfrwib likes this.
  6. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

This is exactly why I keep saying Unity should make a couple games and actually publish and maintain them. When it comes to Android, 11 devices is a drop in the ocean. Unless you have a test lab with a couple hundred devices, the only viable way to tackle this is to collect performance telemetry from end user devices directly, instead of waiting for bug reports from Unity customers who decided to "take one for the team" and use URP on their mobile projects.

One of the strongest points of using Unity for mobile games is its high compatibility with a wide range of mobile devices. That didn't come from nowhere: the built-in pipeline was evolving alongside the mobile market, going through constant battle testing. Right now URP lacks that "battle experience": the countless small implementation details that are born out of use cases that are impossible to code for in advance. This is true for any system that is rewritten from scratch, in my experience.

If developers start using URP on their mobile projects only to be faced with lower compatibility which harms their bottom line, other devs will be scared into sticking with built-in, limiting the usage of URP, which in turn will slow down the "battle testing".

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

unity.png

THEY ARE LISTENING

8. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

Not until they confirm it is:

1) Going to be an actual published game and not merely a sample project that can be built with a very specific Unity version and abandoned after release.
    2) For mobile.

If so, amazing. If not, a bubble shooter or a 3D endless runner made by a team of half a dozen in four months would suffice, really. Just upload the thing on the App Store and Google Play, fix the engine/package bugs as they show up in telemetry and push them back into the main branch.

Deleted User, AlejUb and pm007 like this.
  9. neoshaman

neoshaman

10. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

At some point Trash Dash was actually published to mobile stores, but seems to have been pulled long ago, so it's now back into the "sample game" category. At least the project claims to be compatible with the latest Unity versions.

Now all Unity needs to do is update it to use URP, put it back online and collect performance and crash data from it.

11. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

@Devil_Inside we had a sync with mobile team about this bug. We decided to split into multiple cases.
    We could only reproduce this issue in a device that has low powerful GPU and moderate high resolution.

The bug should be split into 3:
    1) Investigate color grading LUT generation cost on these low end phone. We could cache the color grading LUT generation if needed.
    2) Improve the post-processing bloom performance.
    3) Investigate a Unity engine regression between 2018 and 2019.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  12. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Realistically we will take a look at those after 7.1.4 package. To give a quick status update. These past weeks we all focused on support and quality. We now have 0 regression and 0 HUP bugs assigned to our grabbag. We are pushing work on documentation and SSAO to deliver it asap as well.

13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Thanks for the update!
    Since I haven't switched to URP for obvious reasons, and since the post-processing potential fixes will probably land only for URP PP, I'm really hoping you'll prioritize point (3).

14. kivinm

kivinm

Hi, I have GeForce 210 GPU and suffer from this issue (Issue ID 1222302):
    Fixed shader compilation errors when using multiple lights in DX10 level GPU

I see that it is fixed in URP 8.1.0 (btw, you don't need multiple lights to reproduce it, one is enough).
    This is a bug, not a feature, why wasn't it backported to URP 7.3.x? Any plans for that?

PS: I can't use Unity 2020.x since version 2019.3 is the last one that supports development for GearVR.

15. castor76

castor76

Ok, so I am not sure if this is the right thread to ask for this, but I think I have read somewhere that the postprocessing volume cost exist (for global one) even if camera is not ticked to use the post processing right? If so, I am using 2 cameras (one for main rendering and one for rendertexture) and is that mean postprocessing cost is doubled across my 2 cameras even if they are not using them? ( I have set them to not use for testing purpose, for project case, I only enable for the main render camera)

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  16. Kronnect

Kronnect

Hi guys,

Recently I got confirmation from Unity QA that 3 bugs were fixed (cases 1235863, 1232794 and 1204237).
    They were all reported using latest Unity 2019 which are public releases. However, in all cases the fix is being applied to URP 8.0, URP 8.1 or Unity 2020 alpha and not current version and I don't know if they're going to be applied to latest public Unity version or when.

And even though it's fixed in a future development branch, is it going to enforce us to upgrade to a whole new TECH branch?

Please improve your QA workflows so fixes are closed only when they're applied to the latest released Unity version unless there's a strong reason to why they cannot be back ported - and give priority to applying the fix to the latest public released version from which the bug is reported.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  17. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

Afaik, the issue is not seen in 7.3.

18. kivinm

kivinm

I attached 3 screenshots.
    1. Empty_Default.png - new empty project based on URP template - nothing changed, no objects in Scene view, black Game view.
    Empty_Default.png
    2. Empty_One_Light.png - new scene created, one Cube created - no visible sides of that cube.
    Empty_One_Light.png
    3. Empty_Black_Material.png - every example material will turn into nothing (Black) as soon as selected. Example shader is pink. Same situation for any new created material.
    Empty_Black_Material.png

Problem is fixed in some sense by changing Graphics API from DX11 to OpenGL Core (thanks to whoever mentioned this in the bug report), but this is not a solution.

And btw, "fixed" 8.1 package still have issue with Spot lights. I can provide screenshots if required.

19. kivinm

kivinm

In case somebody else is going crazy (like me) - asking himself why distant objects are "dimmed" in a project, based on a sample scene of 8.1 URP - Fog is now enabled by default. Check new Lightning Settings, it might have more surprises.

Ruslank100 likes this.
  20. Davood_Kharmanzar

Davood_Kharmanzar

hi,
    does any chance to up coming DXR into the URP??

21. transat

transat

Whatever happened to URP 9? It's disappeared from the package manager.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Enable preview packages.

23. transat

transat

:rolleyes: Sigh. Didn't notice there is now a second option to enable preview packages, in the Project settings. So although I've got plenty of preview packages happening already and can see a bunch of preview packages because I've enabled that setting in the package manager, the Unity UX team decided to add another check box to do this. Now I'm seeing the very same packages I was seeing before, plus URP v9.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  24. jbooth

jbooth

Next month, 3 options! Total winning.

SMHall, Ruslank100, NotaNaN and 6 others like this.
  25. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

26. transat

transat

As pretty much everyone developing a project is likely to use Text Mesh Pro, everyone will enable "preview packages". Text Mesh Pro, like Terrain Tools, has been in preview for all of its life (across 3 major version updates). So this "solution" is actually going to create the perception that all preview package are going to be as stable and risk-free as these packages have been. In other words the "solution" will only worsen the problem. But I'm getting off-topic (even though providing a terrible user experience seems to be the common thread of every Unity-related topic these days!)

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm just waiting for a package that is preview, experimental and verified at the same time. Some kind of triforce status. Anything except things like alpha and beta, which are so unfashionable :)

Ruslank100, Rich_A, JoNax97 and 8 others like this.
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

Unity just introduces parallel universes development, i want to see what other engines will answer with to that !

Rich_A, JamesArndt and hippocoder like this.
  29. castor76

castor76

Yeah. Totally agree. No other engine can come close to match that! I only wish my own development is in parallel universe wise..as well

TieSKey likes this.
  30. segant

segant

31. Conferno

Conferno

eeehh.. where is it option?
    I can't see a new URP package in Package manager, just 7.3.1 version only. In this window, preview packages already checked, from advanced menu.

32. segant

segant

You need latest unity version like 2020.2.0a

33. sas67uss

sas67uss

Hi
    Please clear my ambiguity
    I developing an android game that has not any realtime light and all of them was baked .
    Does it have any advantage that I bother myself to use LWRP or URP and adapt my resources to it ?

34. quintonleongnam

quintonleongnam

Hi there!
    I have a question about the URP, does anyone know if a method for rendering FPS guns on top of a main camera been established in the URP? I have tried the URP's current camera stacking option and it seems not to work. ( I assigned an overlay camera to the camera stack, but shows me the solid color background texture and doesn't render both cameras at once.)

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

36. quintonleongnam

quintonleongnam

Thank you so much for the link, yes indeed I have looked at the video regarding the FPS example and have followed closely the method they use of using layers of the experimental render features to draw the gun on top of the scene, however after implementing the same method on my own project, I find that my FPS arms and weapons still clip through walls and enemys, any ideas on what else I could try?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  37. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

My tests confirm this slow trend and go a notch sadder: in the same version of Unity, which is 2019.3.14, URP is 12% slower than built-in in deferred mode.
    Not a big deal on a PC, a huge deal on a Switch.

38. Benfont

Benfont

Hello, any idea when we are going to get light cookies in the URP? thanks!

39. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

In which year (or which Unity version) will URP probably have atleast the same feature list as built-in renderer?

40. adamgolden

adamgolden

41. Bordeaux_Fox

Bordeaux_Fox

If I wanted to use only a LTS version and 2021 is aimed, does this mean, I have to wait with production until winter 2021 / spring 2022? Because right now, we already have the dilemma URP features are only added for betas or alphas. 2019 LTS is lacking behind. See URP Ambient Occlusion. But same things also happen with HDRP. Also 2019 LTS came pretty late.

Unity LTS + URP will all features = Which year?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    Ruslank100, Krull and MP-ul like this.
  42. DungDajHjep

DungDajHjep

Even a simple project with a sprite shows the difference, and it is clearly evident in the profiller, so I wonder why to complicate the problem?

Obviously putting everything in one URP package makes it even more burdensome to serve the unnecessary needs for larger projects. Separating it as before will bring the best results.

43. joeysipos

joeysipos

Any idea when the next verified version of URP will be released for 2019.4? The current one I have is from March 21, 2020. I hope there will be an update to improve performance for Android mobile and VR. The URP is marketed as more performant on Android mobile phones but it seems the standard pipeline is still faster..?

44. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

No knowing that 9.0 will never have a verified proper release, what engine version is 10.0 starting on?

45. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

ThomasZeng likes this.
  46. MassiveTchnologies

MassiveTchnologies

Why are motion vectors / per object motion blur / point lights shadows taking so long?? Can’t believe graphic techniques invented more than 12 years ago have yet to be implemented in the most popular realtime engine on the market.

Stardog, PutridEx and NotaNaN like this.
  47. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

Hey there,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I've poked the team and they'll be looking to update the Point Light Shadow Card for it located at https://portal.productboard.com/unity/1-unity-graphics with a bit more information that'll hopefully provide a little more transparency on this.

I hope this helps!

adamgolden likes this.
  48. andybak

andybak

Transparency is good. Everything's gone a bit quiet and I was worried the pendulum had swung from "stop changing everything all the time!" over to "hello? is anyone in?" ;-)

It's a tricky balance to strike. I was personally enjoying the heady days of everything changing all the time but I was merely tinkering and learning, rather than trying to ship a product so i can see there might be other perspectives on this.