Search Unity

Universal Render Pipeline - any way to remove Burst?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by swedish_boy, May 18, 2022.

1. swedish_boy

swedish_boy

Is there a way to remove the Burst compiler package or is it integrated into later URP versions?

When using URP 10.8.1 Burst is not listed as a dependency.
    When using URP 12.1.3 Burst is a dependency.

The reason why I'm asking is in short:
    My laptop's hard drive is small. :)

The Burst package is almost 800MB in size.

My solution if it's not possible to skip Burst will be to use one project for all tests and experiments instead of making a new project. For such projects I don't think I need Burst or am I missing something about the compiler that makes my life easier if I'm not going to build my project?

2. Matt-Cranktrain

Matt-Cranktrain

No chance of a non-Burst version of modern URP, it's used too much for jobs that culling lights, which of course you want to be as fast as possible.

hippocoder likes this.
  3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Sure you can remove performance, why not? Joking aside, you want burst to be a baseline part of all your Unity stuff. It's the big go-faster button.

4. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Burst is worst, it kills low space devices when there are multiple versions downloaded.. I hope they somehow reduce the size of burst package

5. Sky77

Sky77

Burst will -not- take 800MB in build.
    I don’t have a precise number, but I’m pretty sure impact size it’s negligible in build.

6. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

@Sky77 build size is ok, but cache size on mac increase rapidly due to burst package. 128 or 256Gb mac always have low space for xcode build

7. DevDunk

DevDunk

Get an external ssd maybe. Don't let end users have a worse experience because your PC has little storage

funkyCoty and khushalkhan like this.
  8. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

The issue is i inspected the burst package all folders & files are not equal to 800mb, idk what is taking all that size.

9. DevDunk

DevDunk

Probably cache?

10. khushalkhan

khushalkhan

Might be, there is a hidden folder .runtime, hard to find hidden folders in mac. Might be required for package runtime functioning on macos, windows & linux