Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Universal Pipeline with Oculus Quest / Mobile (7.01+) feedback/queries

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by hippocoder, Oct 14, 2019.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Some feedback (editor is 2020.1 a8 but I don't think that matters so much):

Performance:
    • Performance has a few stall problems with Adreno GPUs, basically with resolves. Want to minimise resolve count or at least have an easy way to track them.
    • Shadows are not a bottleneck, but the resolve for them can be. Any strategies?
    • FFR doesn't appear to work.
    • Adaptive resolution doesn't work yet, nor have an automatic way like HDRP?
    Visuals:
    • Shadows don't blend or fade out to the lightmap so there's this ugly discontinuity issue... can this be fixed in some manner? I could pay the cost of shadow's resolve if I can limit them to very close (say 1m) but they have a harsh clip at their maximum range.

Overall quite happy with Universal pipeline but there isn't enough information about how to really squeeze more performance out of it, in respect to mobile AND VR - which is undoubtedly the most challenging performance scenario and as Quest is pretty much changing the entire VR landscape in respect to device adoption (heck even hippo is into it) - it means that I would consider the Oculus Quest to drive a lot of decisions going forward as it's really taxing.

I want to make the most of URP with mobile VR but it's difficult at the moment. Any advice, resources, soothing balm and so on will go a very long way :)

Thanks for all and any replies!