Search Unity

⭐ UNIVERSAL DEVICE PREVIEW ⭐ - get a real preview of your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WildMageGames, Mar 17, 2017.

1. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Universal Device Preview 1.9.7 has been updated and is awaiting validation on the asset store :)

1.9.7 - 23/04/2021
    • Unity 2020.3 and 2021.1 support.
    • New devices with safe area:
      • iPhone 12
      • iPhone 12 Pro
      • iPhone 12 Pro Max
      • iPhone 12 Mini
    • Safe area simulation for iOS phones with visible status bar.
    • Editor icons.
    • (Fix) Safe area delay after screen rotation.
    • (Fix) Exclude safe area from build.
    • Ultimate Screenshot Creator updated to 1.9.0
      • (NEW FEATURE) Cut, resize, rotate post process.
      • Force UI layer culling in custom camera mode.
      • Get current batch name.
      • Set frame rate in burst mode.
      • (Fix) Hide on capture in edit mode.
    1.9.5 - 28/01/2021
    • (Fix) Export to picture folder for Android 10.

1.9.4 - 19/01/2021
    • (Fix) AssetUtils error on start.

1.9.3 - 15/01/2021
    • New devices with safe area:
      • Google Pixel 4a (4G) (fixed landscape safe area)
      • Google Pixel 5

2. justtime

justtime

Hi there! After update to the latest version 1.9.7 i can't build my project.
    Got this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\AlmostEngine\UltimateScreenshotCreator\Assets\Scripts\ExtraFeatures\Share\ShareUtils.cs(30,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'NativeShare' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Also, i tried to exclude all from build and use only in Editor, but in this case got build error too.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  3. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

This may be an issue caused by the unity package update. Can you try removing the whole asset and importing it again and check that all files are checked ?
    Do not forget to first backup your custom prests, if any.
    If you still have an issue, can you tell me your Unity version, and on what platform you are trying to build ?

4. unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

Hello! I have a bug with the asset, amazing asset any way.
    I can't see the device gallery and unity show me this error.
    upload_2021-11-18_18-12-35.png
    There some how to fix it?

Bests!

5. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello
    I am sorry you are experiencing an issue with the asset.
    Can you tell me what is your Unity version, Asset version, target build ?
    Also, can you simply try removing the asset and importing it again ?
    Does the asset works within an empty project?
    Best,
    Arnaud

6. unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

unity_WTEvCxdsc-hr5g

I will try remove and add again the asset, this problem only happen on this project, others projects works as expected.
    Actually works in this project since the start, but the last month stop working and I don't know why.
    This project is: 2020.1.8f1
    Last version of the asset.
    Android target.

Best!

7. Red_H

Red_H

Hi,
    After Upgrade from 1.9.12 to 1.9.13
    when I add new device the Scale value default is not 1,
    the Scale value will be 0.XXX

8. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello

This is the new "Optimize Preview" feature, that automatically compute the scale to reduce the preview size depending on the preview zoom. I enabled it by default in the new version. You can disable it by clicking on the "Optimize preview" yellow button in the gallery windows.

Best regards,

9. Caetleo

Caetleo

Send two emails to the support email. Have yet to get a response. I'm having problems with taking screenshots of a URP project. For some reason my Post processing effects aren't showing up in the screenshots. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

10. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello
    I just answered you by email :) URP bloom should work, please send me more details asked in the email and we will find what is going on.

11. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

I have a report from a user with iPhone 13 that is saying that the UI is getting cropped on the top and bottom in portrait mode. Is there something I need to do to add support for iPhone 13?

12. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    the conjoint use of the CanvasScaler from Unity and of our SafeArea script should prevent that kind of issues.
    Can you tell me more about your issue ? Do you observe that cropping in the various phone simulations with the asset ?
    Do not hesitate to post here more details about your UI and how you configured it, we may be able to find an issue.

13. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone 13 to test on. How do I add a definition for an iPhone 13 in the editor?

14. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello

There is currently no iphone 13 preset on the asset but the iphone 12 preset could be used as well, since both phones are almost identical. The camera notche is slightly larger but if you get it working correctly with the iphone 12 preview it will also work for iphone 13.

How are you using the SafeArea component ? Did you manage to set it up to prevent being cropped by the notches ? You can use the various phone notches from the simulator to see how your UI is cropped by them. In the example scenes there are several use case of the SafeArea component that illustrates how to use it. The standard way is to add it to a fully streched panel and have all your ui menu and button within that panel. Do you need help to set it up ?

15. GorillaJoes

GorillaJoes

This ended up being my own code not detecting if it was a phone or a tablet. :)

WildMageGames likes this.
  16. AJP-Online

AJP-Online

Hey guys,
    is it somehow possible to simulate the players input? (so I created a game with touch control => how to use the touch conrtol with this tool?

17. JesterGameCraft

JesterGameCraft

Check out UnityRemote in Apple store, there should be one on Google play as well.

18. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    The Gallery Window and Preview Window of the Universal Device Preview asset only shows static preview of the game, there is currently no possibilities to simulate the inputs within the preview.
    However, the asset as the feature of automatically adding all simulated device resolutions to the gameview resolution list, so you can select in the gameview the device you want to test and try your game with the device resolution to see if the inputs are working correctly.

19. nekolyst

nekolyst

Hi, version 1.11.1 seems will cause unity build error, v1.10.1 was fine.

Unity version: 2022.2.1f1

20. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    Indeed it looks like I missed one issue. Are you talking about the "Deprecated Landscape" error ?
    I just updated an update on the asset store to correct that issue.
    Meanwhile, please replace Landscape by LandscapeLeft in the SafeArea and DeviceInfo files.

21. nekolyst

nekolyst

When I impot v1.11.1. Unity editor already popup a window and suggest replace Landscape by LandscapeLeft to avoid compile error.

The issue is I have many assets in my project. When I try to build, it shows dll not found error. Screenshot below:
    Snipaste_2023-02-02_12-13-55.png

It's weird because if I remove "Universal Device Preview", build will success.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
  22. ktmarine1999

ktmarine1999

First off I love this asset.

Was wondering if you had plans to incorporate this to be used with the new UXML Document that is used with UI Tool kit/

upload_2023-2-18_11-55-34.png

If not then do I have your permission to create and sell an add-on that uses UXML Documents with your tool. Make it a requirement that they own your tool.

23. moon28

moon28

Hello,

I am a user of Universal Device Preview.
    I sent an email regarding the 'Safe Area' issue on some devices on February 16th. (RE: Request to add support devices)
    However, I have not received a response yet and I would like to confirm if the email was received successfully.
    If there are any issues, please let me know and I will be happy to assist.
    Thank you for your prompt response and have a great day.

Best regards,

24. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

I apologize for the delay in my response. I was unavailable for the past few weeks to attend to support queries.

Thank you for sharing the screenshots of the safe area values for the Huawei Y9, OPPO Ax5s, and Motorola G9 play devices.

I want to clarify that the asset does not require specific device presets for the safe area to work on the device. It should work on all devices, even without presets on the editor. The presets are only needed for simulation purposes in the editor.

After analyzing your emails and the screenshots, I noticed that there are indeed some issues with the safe area on the Huawei Y9 and OPPO Ax5s devices. The safe area values displayed in the screenshots of the Huawei Y9 and OPPO Ax5s devices are wrong.

However, when the app runs on the device, those values are not computed by the asset but are provided by the Unity software's Screen.safeArea method, and uses it to adapt to the safe area. Since this value is incorrect, the asset cannot work for those phones.

This is a Unity problem that returns the wrong value. It could be due to a bug on your Unity version or an issue with your safe area player settings. Could you please let me know your Unity version and safe area settings in the Unity Player Settings?

On the other hand, the Motorola G9 play seems to have good values, and the safe area is working correctly on the screenshot you provided. Please let me know if you have any issues with the safe area on this device.

Based on the values you shared, I can add the Motorola G9 play to the presets for the editor. However, the Huawei Y9 and OPPO Ax5S returned incorrect values by Unity on the device, so I cannot add presets for these devices.

I hope this explanation helps. Please let me know if you have any further queries.

Best regards,

25. Nyankoooo

Nyankoooo

When excluding everything under "Install Mode" in the settings, is everything removed from the asset so nothing remains when building for release?

26. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Yes. Only a very few script files with absolutely no impact on the build are kept, from the share and excludefrombuild, because they are required to "re-enable" the asset after the build is completed.

27. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    Indeed UXML is not yet supported, but since Unity is now starting to recommend it for runtime I started working on it.
    No, I do not agree that you sell a plugin based on my asset.

ktmarine1999 likes this.
  28. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    I just added UXML support to the device preview in version 1.11.4, that should be available soon on the asset store :)

ktmarine1999 likes this.
  29. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @WildMageGames , once again, thank you for this great tool.

A feature request: would it be possible to revamp your modules' build exclude system to use Assembly Definitions instead of removing the code files in build time? What I think could work is to have a separate Assembly Definition for each code module and then set them to just Editor platform when they're configured to be excluded. This might make the build step a bit more predictable and less error prone.

30. ktmarine1999

ktmarine1999

Thank you for your replies. Also thank you for the quick turnaround for the UXML incorporation. :):):):):):):):)

31. iMobCoding

iMobCoding

@WildMageGames
    It would be nice if Screenshot Capturer had an additional symbol for the filename called {take} that would represent the sequential number of the screenshot. Every time you click on Capture, that number would increase by one. And somewhere in the UI, there should be an option to reset that {take} counter.

32. pistoleta

pistoleta

Why the SafeArea component is adjusting the safearea correctly on simulator but not in device ?

33. Starbox

Starbox

is that a device in particular? It has worked flawlessly on my side for both iOS and Android devices thus far.

The only annoying part of the safe area script was how it tended, under certain circumstances, to make the scene dirty as if I had edited anything and force me to resave it.

34. pistoleta

pistoleta

Either I had the settings wrong or Unity's Screen.safeArea is giving back wrong values starting from unity 2021.3.24

35. ThomasMendoza54

ThomasMendoza54

Are the phone devices listed on onezdevice.com sufficient in the documentation here?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2023
  36. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    There is nothing particular to do to make it work on device.
    If you set the SafeArea component correctly in the editor, and the simulation works properly with the UI adapting to the safe area, you should get the same result on the device.

Can you tell me more about what doesnt work, on what devices ?

Things to check:
    - the safe area settings in the player settings
    - try to run the "CanvasExample" scene on the device and display the device info, to see if the "safe area" values returned by Unity are correct

Please contact me with more detail to support@wildmagegames.com

37. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    I'm not sure to understand your question.
    UDP comes with a lot of various devices presets, most of the popular new phones are simulated, it should be enough to configure your game properly.
    All devices presets are only used for the in-editor preview, but the asset work with every device, even those not in the simulation presets, because on the device we use the safe area information returned by the device itself.

38. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello, thanks for your suggestion. This could indeed be a nice addition for the exclusion feature, I will check if this could work for a future update.

henriqueranj likes this.
  39. maramak

maramak

Hi!

I used Universal Device Preview in several of my 3D projects, where the asset performed very well!

Сurrently I am working on a 2D project and after adding Universal Device Preview, an error started appearing when building for Android:

Library\PackageCache\com.unity.collections@1.2.4\Unity.Collections\NativeList.cs(839,24): error CS7036: There is no argument given that corresponds to the required formal parameter 'safety' of 'NativeArray<T>.ReadOnly.ReadOnly(void*, int, ref AtomicSafetyHandle)'

Can someone help my to get rig of this error?

Environment: Windows 10, Unity 2022.3.20f1.
    List of installed packages attached as screenshot:
    packages_1.png

40. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    I am not able to reproduce that compilation issue - I just sent you a detailed email about that to request more information.
    Thanks

41. henriqueranj

henriqueranj

Hello @WildMageGames coming back to this one request. Since using Unity 2022.3 we have been experiencing quite some random build failures due to the excluding feature. Every now and then a build fails due to not being able to access a certain folder that needs to be excluded.

We love your tool, but this issue has become quite an obstacle to use it. Are you aware of this issue with other developers? Do you have a timeline for improving on this?

42. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    A few days ago I was finally able to reproduce that issue thanks to a user who directly sent a project that had that issue. I was able to identify it comes from the "exclude from build feature" but not why it causes it. In the last version update I published a temporary fix that simply disable that feature (you can update or simply disable the exclude from build feature from the settings) and I am working on how to re-enable it without causing the issue. I'm studying what could be the best way, using assemblies or providing the features as additional packages in the project.

henriqueranj likes this.