Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

⭐ UNIVERSAL DEVICE PREVIEW ⭐ - get a real preview of your game

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by WildMageGames, Mar 17, 2017.

1. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    no you should be able to reimport all files.
    Can you send me a screenshot of the import please ?

2. justtime

justtime

I removed folder by company name, not an asset, and it's ok now.

3. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

4. RangeAge

RangeAge

I am currently experiencing a problem that when I opened the Device Preview / Gallery Window with auto-refresh on, there are always some gameobjects keep instantiating and destroying. They are "Temporary screenshot manager", "Apple iPhone X", "DeviceCameraRenderer" and "SafeAreaSurface". And then either the scene window or the game window just keep changing. It happens in both Unity 2018 and 2019 even in the Example scene as well.

The view changes between this two pictures as fast as how much refresh delay I set
    1.png
    2.png

5. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

Thanks for purchasing Universal Device Preview :)

"the scene window or the game window just keep changing" This is a normal behavior, it will happen every time the asset needs to compute a preview, because it needs to resize the gameview.

Can you tell me more about your auto refresh settings ?
    If for instance you set "auto refresh" ON in edit mode with a high refresh rate, then the asset will constantly perform an update.
    I would advise setting a lower refresh rate, and to set auto refresh only in play mode.
    In editor I would advise using the hotkey F5 to call the refresh only when needed.
    Auto refresh with a high refresh rate is recommended only with one active device, and in "texture only" mode.

I hope it answer your questions. Do not hesitate to ask me more details.

6. RangeAge

RangeAge

It seems like I misunderstood it. My Refresh rate was set to a very small value. Now I have turned off Auto refresh and refresh it manually. Thank you for the assistance.

WildMageGames likes this.
  7. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

8. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

Unfortunately it happens when people do not use namespace when creating their asset, so sometime it create conflicts with other assets.

You can either:
    - add a namespace to all Safe Area Helper scripts, by adding "namespace SafeAreaHelper{ }" around all classes in the scripts. That way the compiler will be able to differentiate their SafeAreaHelper.SafeArea and our AlmostEngine.Preview.SafeArea.
    - rename their SafeArea or my SafeArea component to something else.
    - also, I do not think you will need Safe Area Helper anymore, since Universal Device Preview contains all you need for SafeArea, so you can also just remove it. And if there is something we can not do just tell me and we will add it.

9. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I am sorry, there is a compilation issue in the update 1.8.1 on iOS,

If you encounter that error:
    Please replace that line by
    Code (CSharp):
    1. PhotoUsageDescription usage = AssetUtils.GetFirstOrCreate<PhotoUsageDescription> ("iOSPhotoUsageDescription", "Assets/");
    I just updated a fix on the asset store but the update can take several hours.

EDIT: corrected in 1.8.2

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  10. Timmy-Hsu

Timmy-Hsu

OK.
    I will try to remove Safe Area Helper, and Use Universal Device Preview's Safe Area.
    Thank you.

WildMageGames likes this.
  11. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

The update 1.8.2 is available on the asset store, please update if you use 1.8.1 to prevent the compilation issue on iOS.

12. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

If seems that the Unity package manager does not update correctly the script "AssetUtils.cs" if you update from 1.8.0 to 1.8.2, and instead create two "AssetUtils.cs" files, leading to compilation errors.

If you have an error with AssetUtils, you need to manually remove the old file "Assets\AlmostEngine\Shared\Scripts\Editor\AssetUtils.cs"

EDIT: issue corrected in 1.8.3

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  13. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Universal Device Preview 1.8.3 has been released on the asset store :)

1.8.3 - 16/12/2019
    • (Fix) Namespace for all classes
    • (Fix) AssetUtils error when updating from 1.8.0 to 1.8.1

1.8.2 - 11/12/2019
    • (Fix) AssetUtils build error on iOS

1.8.1 - 10/12/2019
    • Added settings to enable/disable the preview disk backup and auto refresh.
    • Updated most used smartphones stats.
    • Added smartphones popularity for Russia, India.
    • (Fix) Safe Area inspector.
    • (Fix) Improved backup system.
    • New devices with images/notches:
      • Xiaomi Mi Note 10
      • Xiaomi Note 7 Pro
      • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
      • Google Pixel 4
      • Google Pixel 4 XL
    • New devices presets (resolution only):
      • Xiaomi Redmi 4
      • Xiaomi Redmi 4x
      • Xiaomi Redmi 5a
      • Xiaomi Redmi 6a
      • Xiaomi Redmi Note 5
      • Xiaomi Mi Note Pro
      • Xiaomi Redmi y2
      • Motorola G8 Plus
      • Sony Xperia 5
      • OnePlus 7T
      • OnePlus 7T Pro
    • Ultimate Screenshot Creator 1.7.8
      • (NEW FEATURE) Better alpha computation method for capturing scenes with transparent background.
      • (Fix) Waiting frame for Temporal Anti Aliasing
      • (Fix) iOS photo library not added automatically

dvr7 and Menn007 like this.
  14. Zdrenga

Zdrenga

Hello,

I purchased your asset today because I needed a way to implement the safe area for devices with notches.

The asset works fine for the most popular devices like Apple and Samsung, but Xiaomi, Huawei and Honor don't adjust the position of the elements, so they are not in the safe area.

Actually, I see nothing being changed (compared to the original position) when switching to a preview from Xiami, Huawei and Honor.

Am I missing something or is the asset missing something? :)

15. Zdrenga

Zdrenga

I did notice that Xiaomi, Huawei and Honor are not added to the list "Devices with Safe Area values", so I am thinking that is the problem? How can this be solved?

Thanks!

16. Zdrenga

Zdrenga

Also, Galaxy S10 has a camera on the screen, so the safe area should respect that. However, previewing for S10 shows the camera on the top right covering the button.

17. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

Thanks for purchasing Universal Device Preview :)

Not all device preset contain safe area simulation data, even for phones rendered with notches or cameras. As described in the asset store page, the safe area simulation data is currently available for the following devices:
    This comes from the fact that I simply do not have more safe area values and that they are difficult to get. If you do have a device with a notch you can add your own safe area value to the simulation, by running the demo scene on the device to get the device infos, and updating the asset presets.

I also call for data, so anyone having a phone with notches is more than welcome to run the demo and send me their safe area values, so I can update the database :)

18. linojon

linojon

Hello, if i use the android Player Settings > Resolution and Presentation > Render outside safe area -- Unchecked, then i dont need your safe area component, correct? But on iOS there is no equivalent Player Settings, correct? If i want to handle both in the same project, what do you recommend?

19. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

On Android if you set "Render outside safe area" to false your app will indeed automatically be rendered only in the safe area, so you will not have issues with them. However, all non safe area parts will be rendered black, so you can not render on a real "full screen".
    On iOS to my knowledge there is no such option.

Honestly it is difficult to recommend "the best practice" concerning safe area on Android, because even if you do all the job, with Unity the Safe Area only works on Android 9+. Ideally you should use a Safe Area component to adapt your UI to phone with notches, and also have a fallback UI if you detect Android <9, for instance a big margin that is enabled only when Android is <9, "to be sure".

The simplest but not perfect way would be to use "Render outside safe area" for Android (with black margins), and a SafeArea component for iOS that is disabled on Android. (My own SafeArea component can not be enabled for iOS only, but I can easily do the change if you need to.)
    Edit: black margins may work only with Android 9+ too, I will run some tests to confirm that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  20. linojon

linojon

Hmm. Sounds like a feature request: since black background is fine for me, then your component could handle Render Outside Safe Area unchecked and runtime queries the Android version to decide if to use your safe areas or let unity/android take care of it?

21. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

After more research I think I said something wrong, the "black borders" of Unity with "Render outside safe area" to false may only work for Android 9+ too, because Safe Area are simply not supported on Android < 9 (except if the manufacturer explicitly supports them). I will run some tests with an Android <9 phone with notches. I know someone with such phone, I asked him to run some tests and I am waiting for the results.

If the black borders are supported on Android <9 then yes we could look at something like you ask :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
  22. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Know issue on Unity beta 2019.3.0f1 and later

It seams that the preview do not work in Editor Mode due to some changes on the Unity Editor management of WaitEndOfFrame behavior in editor mode. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I am working on that issue.

Note that the asset will not officially support 2019.3 until is stabilized and out of beta.

The asset still works perfectly in Play Mode, i.e. when you are playing the game in the editor.

Solved in 1.8.4

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  23. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I just tested on the Huawei p20 that has notches and Android 8.1.0. When "render ouside safe area" is disabled there are black borders, even if the device does not support the Safe Area. Because Safe Area is not supported, my Safe Area component does not affect the UI, so there is no need to disable it.

Screenshot_20200107-092003.jpg

I can not guarantee that this behavior is the same for all Android devices with notches and Android < 9, but we could indeed have a script that check the Android version and set "render ouside safe area" to false if Android < 9. I will look if it is possible to do it.

24. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Universal Device Preview 1.8.4 has been updated and will be available soon on the asset store :)

1.8.4 - 17/01/2020
    • New devices with safe area values:
      • Huawei Mate 20 Pro
      • Huawei p20 Pro
      • Huawei p20 Lite
      • Motorola G7 Power
      • OnePlus 6T
      • Samsung Galaxy S10
      • Xiaomi Redmi Note 6 Pro
      • Xiaomi Redmi Note 7
    • Added presets for VR displays:
      • HTC Vive
      • Oculus Quest
      • Oculus Rift
      • Oculus Rift S
      • Sony Playstation VR
      • Valve Index
      • New presets:
      • Motorola G7
      • Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
      • Xiaomi Mi 8 SE
      • Xiaomi Mi 8
    • (Fix) Preview issue in 2019.3 in Editor Mode.
    • (Fix) Expand list inspector.
    • The editor will new focus back to the last active window after each preview update.
    • Textures and prefabs have been moved to an Editor folder to prevent them being added in build.
    • Ultimate Screenshot Creator updated to 1.7.11.

25. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello again,
    after some research it appears that the settings for "Render Outside Safe Area" is not visible in build mode. We started looking for accessing those options anyway, but considering that the option may be used only in initialization we are not sure if we will be to change that setting while playing. We may also look for direct android calls.

26. drpelz

drpelz

Doesn't work with Unity 2019.3.0f6.:mad: Would be nice if you could update your plugin because I just paid for it.

27. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    The asset was tested on 2019.3.0f6 on Widnows and everything worked fine.
    Can you tell me more about the issues you are experiencing ? What is you asset version ? Did you updated the asset to the last version ? Also what is your OS ?

universal 2019.3.0f6.png

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  28. drpelz

drpelz

Asset version is 1.84. OS is Mac OS X 10.13.6.

There is some strange thing going on. After downgrading to Unity 2019.2.12f1 your asset disappeared here, too.:confused:

29. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Can you tell me more about the strange things?
    Can you send a screenshot of the gallery after you create a preview ?

Unfortunately Unity destroyed much things on 2019.3 I tested and updated to make it work on 2019.0.f6 on Windows but I did not tested the asset on 2019.3.0f6 on Mac OS X, I will run some tests and check what happens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  30. drpelz

drpelz

So here are two screenshots I made that show the gallery. Some devices aren't displayed properly (as you can see). But in most cases it works. Hope you can find the bug. BTW: I deleted my project and now I'm using an older copy of it. The plugins load fine (yours as well). Now I try to use 2019.3.0f6. I hope it will work...

Attached Files:

31. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks a lot for the screenshots. The screenshots were taken with what Unity version ? Is it working on 2019.2 or do you have the same issues ?

That issue comes from a change Unity made in the way the editor is updated in Edit Mode. I corrected it on Windows and I thought it would work on Mac OS too.

Note that this is an issue only in Edit Mode. The plugin should work when you run your game in the editor, in Play Mode. You should be able to preview your game that way, and I am working on a fix to preview in Edit mode on 2019.3.

32. drpelz

drpelz

So the screenshots were taken with Unity 2019.2.12f1. I just checked it with Unity 2019.3.0f6 and I can confirm that your asset doesn't work there (on Mac). Your 'Almost Engine' does not appear inside of the Window-menu. Another plugin is not working any more...so I'm using 2019.2 again. Hope this helps...

33. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Ok thanks for the feedback. I am working on a fix for Mac OS X. If you send me an email or message with your invoice number I can send you the previous version 1.8.3 that may be working on 2019.2 with Mac OS X.
    If you do not see the window menu there may be a compilation error ?

34. drpelz

drpelz

What's the difference between v 1.83 and 1.84? I'll send you a message. Version 1.8.4 seems to work with Unity 2019.2. But there is a graphical glitch when rendering the previews in the gallery while in Play Mode:

Attached Files:

35. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I changed something in 1.8.4 to make the asset work on 2019.3 on windows, so I wanted to send you version 1.8.3 in case version 1.8.4 created an issue on macOS.

However, I performed several tests macOS, and I am not able to reproduce your issue, the asset worked perfectly in both play mode and edit mode on all tested versions.

Tests conditions:
    Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.6
    New empty project, 3D, no special package added
    ExampleCanvas scene

Tested version:
    Unity 2019.3.0f6, asset version 1.8.4 - works in edit and play mode
    Unity 2019.3.0f6, asset version 1.8.3 - works in edit and play mode
    Unity 2019.2.20f1, asset version 1.8.4 - works in edit and play mode
    Unity 2019.2.20f1, asset version 1.8.3 - works in edit and play mode

- The asset should work in an empty project on any Unity version on MacOS, including 2019.2 and 2019.3.
    Can you try importing the asset on an empty project, run the CanvasExample scene, and try to capture ? What happens ?

- If it does not work on an empty project, knowing that I tested on the exact same version or MacOS and on the same version of Unity, there may be an issue related to your machine.
    What exactly is your machine ? What is your display resolution? Is it a retina display ? What is you GPU ? What is your maximum GPU render buffer size ? Do you have any display settings enabled, like a zoom, or accessibility settings ?

- If it works on an empty project but not in your project,
    In your own project, what packages are you using ? What assets are you using ?
    Do you use the URP or HDRP ?
    Are you using OpenGL or Metal ?
    Do you have any special configuration ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  36. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I have done even more tests and I was finally able to reproduce your issue.
    It looks like the behavior of Unity 2019.3 depends on the content of the scene !
    My ExampleCanvas test scene works in all cases, in all version, with version 1.8.3 and 1.8.4, on MacOS and Windows, in Edit and Play mode, this is why I missed the issue. I created more scenes with varying content and the preview started to fail on 2019.3 in Edit Mode.

Here are the results of the tests:

On Unity 2019.2 : asset 1.8.3 and 1.8.4 work for all scenes, on MacOS and Windows, in Edit and Play mode. You should not have any issue at all with 2019.2. Is it the case ?

On Unity 2019.3, there is indeed an issue in Edit mode, only for some scenes. In Play mode you should be able to preview your game correctly. Is the preview working on Play mode ?

I am working on a fix and will keep you updated.

For now it looks like the preview fails depending on the anchor of the UI layouts in the scene. It looks like there is a deeper Unity 2019.3 bug that have repercussion on the rendering of the UI.

Edit: Fixed in 1.8.5

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  37. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

I solved the issue and sent you an update by email.

I updated the version 1.8.5 on the asset store and it should be available to everyone in a few hours/days.

38. drpelz

drpelz

Glad to hear that you updated your plugin.:) I will check this out ASAP!

Update: I got some good and bad news. The good news is that it works now with Unity 2019.3 after removing an asset which had two GUI-bugs. The bad news is that there are still graphical glitches in the gallery (though the preview seems to work).

Have a look at the screenshot I made:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  39. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Sorry I missed your message, because it was an EDIT so I was not notified. I will look at this.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  40. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

After some tests I am still unable to reproduce your issues on 2019.3 on the exact same MacOS version. The last asset update should have solved any possible cases :-/

First, I need to know if the asset works on a new project:
    Can you please create a new empty project, 3D, legacy render pipeline.
    Then import the last version of the asset.
    Then try to get a preview of the scenes CanvasExamples and DefaultExample, and tell me what happens ?

41. drpelz

drpelz

So here I am again!;)
    What happened in the meantime? I bought a new Mac and tested it with the latest Mac OS (Catalina). So far it seems to work - the gallery renders nicely but the preview for the iPhone SE is blank (don't know why). All others seem to work!:cool:

This means it was an issue with my old Mac mini (mid 2010). Yeah I know it was old and slow - but it worked in most cases. Now with the new Mac everything seems to work again. Thank you for your help!:D

42. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Thanks for your feedback !
    So it was an hardware issue probably caused by a limitation in the GPU, this is why I was not able to reproduce it. I will try to look if I can do anything to make it work on older machines.

For the iPhone SE, it may be a simple asset import fail. Try remove the asset from your device list and add it again with the "+" button. If it still does not work, try re-importing the asset, and check that all iphone SE files are imported (textures and prefabs).

43. RealLeshk

RealLeshk

Hello, everybody!
    Can I change the Safe Area in build on the device? Problem: Safe Area iPhone X shifts the UI elements too far from the edge of the screen. Or Asset just for preview only?
    Thanks.

44. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello :)

The SafeArea component is both for previewing in the editor and adapting the UI in build.

For the iPhone X and 11, Apple has set a very large margin, whereas most Android phones have a very small margin. This could indeed be not desired if you want the same behavior on both OS.

The SafeArea simulated value in editor is equal to the device safe area, so you have the same behavior in editor and in build. If you change the SafeArea values in the editor it only changes the simulation. There is currently no asset feature to force a specific safe area value on build for a specific device.

However, I just made you a script to add a custom margin depending on the device name or model:
    - place all your safe area content in a fully stretched panel, within the safe area panel.
    - add the CustomBorder component to the new panel, child of the safe area panel
    - edit the component anchor values to match your needs. For instance, you can set "portait anchor max Y" to 1.03 to have the panel slightly bigger on iPhoneX and IPhone 11.
    - I have set the default values for iphone X and 11 name and models, you can add several components for more devices name and models if you need to.

Attached Files:

45. RealLeshk

RealLeshk

Thanks a lot! I will definitely try it!

46. Eckster

Eckster

Sorry if you've posted this elsewhere, how do I remove the Universal Screenshot Creator asset from my final build? It adds extra space and I don't really need it in my game.

47. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,

To remove the content that take extra space, you can safely remove:
    Shared/Example
    SimpleLocalization/Example
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Example
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Documentation
    UniversalDevicePreview/Example

By removing those folders I went from 27158 Ko to 26271 Ko on an android apk build on 2018.4.

If you want a minimal installation, you can also remove:
    SimpleLocalization/
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Assets/Scripts/ExtraFeatures
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Assets/Textures
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Assets/Prefabs
    UltimateScreenshotCreator/Plugins

Note that those are mostly scripts so you only get a few Ko less. I went from 26271 Ko to 26265 Ko.

When I removed entirely the asset, the default apk size was 26235 Ko, so it is "only" 923 Ko more from a default install, not 2mbs. Maybe it depends on the Unity version. What OS and Unity version do you have ?

Also, I am working on a way to do this automatically.

48. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

universal_large-saleC2.png

Do not miss the Spring Sales, the asset is still at -50% !

Last updates:

1.8.8 - 10/04/2020

• (New feature) Add a custom border to a specific list of devices.
    • (New feature) Detect orientation change.
    • Documentation update for SafeArea component.
    • Possibility to downscale the preview with device resolution ”scale” while keeping the gooddimensions in PPI mode.
    • Steam hardware stats March 2020.
    • (Fix) The previously selected GameView resolution is restored after the preview capture.
    • (Fix) Reflection error with Ultimate Survival.
    1.8.7 - 13/02/2020
    • (Fix) Compilation issue.
    1.8.6 - 09/02/2020
    • (Fix) Compilation issue on WebGL.
    1.8.5 - 05/02/2020
    • (Fix) Preview issue in 2019.3 in Editor Mode.

dvr7 likes this.
  49. Nitrox32

Nitrox32

How do I make the preview last longer? I click update preview and the preview only displays for less than a second.

50. WildMageGames

WildMageGames

Hello,
    The preview is computed on the Gameview for a few milliseconds, this is what you may see, but then it should be permanently visible in the Gallery Window or Preview Window. Is it not the case ?