Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

UnityWebRequests on iOS sometimes get stuck indefinitely even with timeout set

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by nilsdr, Nov 26, 2020.

1. nilsdr

nilsdr

been a while but I'm pretty sure the invalidation callback never once fired, going to try again just to make sure.

2. nilsdr

nilsdr

Ok, just ran our test case again to make sure, like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. @implementation UnityWebRequestDelegate
    2. - (void)URLSession:(NSURLSession *)session didBecomeInvalidWithError:(NSError *)error
    3. {
    4.     NSLog(@"NETWORK ERROR: %@", error);
    5. }
    6. - (void)URLSession:(NSURLSession *)session dataTask:(NSURLSessionDataTask *)dataTask didReceiveResponse:(nonnull NSURLResponse *)response completionHandler:(nonnull void (^)(NSURLSessionResponseDisposition))completionHandler
    7. {
    8.     NSLog(@"NETWORK OK: %@", response.URL);
    9.     [self handleResponse: response task: dataTask];
    10.     completionHandler(NSURLSessionResponseAllow);
    11. }
    I get a network ok for the first 20 or so requests, then it just stops working. I never see NETWORK ERROR in the logs, so didBecomeInvalidWithError is not called

halinc and altkeymathieusavard like this.
  3. luke_avm

luke_avm

Saicopate, mae0510 and nilsdr like this.
  4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

One possible workarounds to this issue is to add this line to UnityWebRequest.mm where the webOperationQueue is created:
    webOperationQueue.qualityOfService = NSQualityOfServiceUserInteractive;

Saicopate, halinc and re-cheid like this.
  5. GoldARVR

GoldARVR

For everyone having this issue, I've replaced all my UnityWebRequest call by HttpClient call and it works. It was a lot of work and I had to learn a lot about HttpClient, but since there is no vision on the correction of this bug, I had to do it.

And, well, HttpClient is really good. I don't know what are the pros of using UnityWebRequest since HttpClient can do the same if not better ?

6. re-cheid

re-cheid

Thanks for the information.
    Is this just a temporary workaround, or is this the solution which will be integrated in a future release of Unity?

//EDIT: I've tried this and it SEEMS TO FIX the problem! Thanks! Hope to see the fix in an official release soon, so we're able to use cloud builds again.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    halinc likes this.
  7. nilsdr

nilsdr

We use some Unity specific functionality like assetbundle caching, switching to httpclient isnt viable.

8. Carlogeno

Carlogeno

I've changed all plugins code with HttpClient :-( ... this is an time expensive workaround... not a final solution :-(

9. halinc

halinc

seems to work for me as well, thank you! added it in the method UnityCreateWebRequestBackend:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. webOperationQueue = [[NSOperationQueue alloc] init];
    2. webOperationQueue.name = @"com.unity3d.WebOperationQueue";
    3. webOperationQueue.qualityOfService = NSQualityOfServiceUserInteractive;
    looking forward to see this in an official bugfix update

jgmakes likes this.
  10. ANTONBORODA

ANTONBORODA

Looking at the documentation for qualityOfService property, this doesn't seem to be a correct fix, rather a workaround.

I can be mistaken because I can't fully understand why the problem happens in the first place, but setting a higher priority to a queue doesn't seem like a "correct" fix to me, rather it's hiding the underlying problem. Again, I can be wrong.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021 at 8:01 AM
    apiotuch_unity and re-cheid like this.
  11. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

It seems that
    webOperationQueue.qualityOfService = NSQualityOfServiceUtility;
    is enough. I could not reproduce the issue after setting this quality of service.

12. nilsdr

nilsdr

So what is causing it? Why does a functionality unrelated to networking stop it from working?

13. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

We are currently testing more, however it seems like this fixed the issue for our team as well.

14. re-cheid

re-cheid

Did anyone try this with iOS 14.2.1 (exclusive to iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro)? Seems like one of our customers still has the problem

//EDIT: not relevant, sorry, problem was somewhere else

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM
  15. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

@re-cheid We updated everything to 14.3 (XR, MX Max, iPhone 7) and it works fine. Can the customer update their OS and see if there is still an issue?

16. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

iOS 14.3 does not solve this issue.
    It seems the cause is that webOperationQueue does not fully satisfy the expectations of NSURLSession. Passing nil as delegate queue when creating session does solve the issue for me (the NSURLSession creates it's own queue in such case). I think that's the way to go with fixing this.

nilsdr likes this.
  17. re-cheid

re-cheid

False alarm! it was a different issue with his environment.

nilsdr likes this.
  18. FOKSlab

FOKSlab

Just FYI I used HTTPClient from ClaytonIndustry (as advised before in this thread) to fix my http request issue on iPhone (iOS 14.3), and it does the job... but I still have the issue on iPad OS 14.3 (iPad Pro) (InvalidServer error after sending the request : message "unknown" is returned ). Any clue why this fails on iPad OS ?

EDIT : I forgot to say I upgraded my project to Unity 2020.2

19. apiotuch_unity

apiotuch_unity

I meant our devices were all updated to 14.3 and using the webOperationQueue.qualityOfService = NSQualityOfServiceUserInteractive fix. We did not test with 14.2 or 14.2.1 because that would require us to downgrade the device OS which is more work than it is worth.

unityunity