Search Unity

UnityWebRequest returns 404 if URI contains 'plus' and 'space' characters

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by dotsquid, Oct 8, 2021.

1. dotsquid

dotsquid

When the URI contains 'plus' and 'space' characters, UnityWebRequest will fail with a 404 error, despite the target resource (file) does exist.
    This was noticed on PC (not sure about other platforms). The bug was reported yet on Sept. 22 and still no reply about it. https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1367599_7lnu7f617fm07sdd
    Can anyone from Unity comment on it? It's kinda critical.

2. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

You have to escape your URI.
    In URI spece characters are not allow and plus character can be used as an excape for space, elternatively %20 can be used as escape sequence. We try to detect if provided URI is escaped or not, but having both pluses and spaces confuses things. Recommendation is to always use properly escaped URIs.

3. dotsquid

dotsquid

Did you check the code I used to reproduce this issue? It's attached to the bug report I mentioned above.

4. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Unity does support passing Uri class directly to UnityWebRequest. If your original path is correct (Fix.Exists return true), the passing Uri should work.
    Have you checked the value AbsoluteUri that you eventually pass in? How it's escaped?

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please share the runtime output of Debug.Log("URI = " + absoluteURI.ToString()); when you see this issue.

6. dotsquid

dotsquid

For the path "E:/Projects/Unity3d/BugReports/UnityWebRequest_LocalFile/Assets/StreamingAssets\\+ Plus with space/Image.png" absoluteURI returns "file:///E:/Projects/Unity3d/BugReports/UnityWebRequest_LocalFile/Assets/StreamingAssets/+%20Plus%20with%20space/Image.png"
    Full path is constructed this way
    Path.Combine(Application.streamingAssetsPath, localPath)

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Got it! And it works as expected without the spaces?

8. dotsquid

dotsquid

Exactly. If the path contains either "space" character or "plus" character, it works fine. But not when the path contains them both.

PS. Actually, I've prepared a pretty illustrative minimal reproducible example and we could save this time if you just launched it. But anyway, thanks for showing the interest, I hope this conversation will help fix this issue.

9. Aurimas-Cernius

Aurimas-Cernius

Unity Technologies

Have you tried passing Uri object directly into UnityWebRequest?

10. dotsquid

dotsquid

Hi, sorry I somehow missed your message.
    Yes, I did. It was the first way I tried. The same issue.