Search Unity

UnityVS aquired by Microsoft and free* [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tango209, Jul 2, 2014.

1. tango209

tango209

This was from the comments on the OP link:

inafield likes this.
  2. Teremo

Teremo

The way I see it, I think this is Microsoft's attempt to get some exclusive indie titles.

Ori and the Blind Forrest was made on Unity and it's a title they showed at E3.

3. tswalk

tswalk

that is awesome news... looking forward to it!

4. ippdev

ippdev

I second that..and it hilites alot more types of syntax. It also seems quicker to compile. The one thing I miss in it currently that was quite useful was to hilite a selected word and hit the "Search Docs" button and it would whip you right over to the relevant scripting reference page. Anybody know how to get that function in Unitron bak?

5. GeneBox

GeneBox

Great news!

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It can't be quicker to compile, because it doesn't compile for Unity. Unity still does the compiling with mono, regardless if you use visual studio, or any other ide.

7. jedy

jedy

Resharper + Debugging. Unity Development is getting fresh steroids :D

AnomalusUndrdog likes this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Every time I hit cmd+S in Monodevelop, I'm shocked to see it take a noticeable amount of time to save. I think this, compounded by the fact that Monodevelop is just a slow piece of trash in general, might lead people to believe it's doing more than it actually is.

zDemonhunter99 likes this.
  9. iddqd

iddqd

So, where is the free UnityVS that will be released "shortly" ;)

10. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I already use Resharper. ;) Just need to get that Visual Studio debugging added. You still have to be careful with Resharper though because it wants to convert everything to LINQ queries which isn't always the most efficient way to go about things from a performance standpoint.

11. ippdev

ippdev

It takes less time after I hit save.. Compile or not compile terminology..it is quicker.

12. Graph

Graph

oh i can attest to that; ToArray, Count and the like are sohooo horrible in performance that i avoid them like the pest even if they can boil down 5,6 lines into one while still maintaining a relatively high degree of readability. But luckily extension methods are supported; so using ones own more performant ways of doing things in a natural manner is no problem.
    man I'm going nuts waiting over here; can't express my degree of dislike for monoDevelop without getting a gimbalLock :D

13. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Exactly. In fact, the entirety of the LINQ method syntax is implemented using extension methods. Even the bulk of Unity's built in bits support Extension methods. It can be handy to write extension methods on GameObjects.

14. Limyc

Limyc

There's a free asset available that offers allocation-free linq, along with a bunch of other stuff.

http://u3d.as/content/smooth-games/smooth-foundations/7vD

15. Dabeh

Dabeh

16. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

OMG OMFG, ITS BEEN RELEASED. I WAITED SO LONG FOR THIS!

Time to get down to business baby!

peterdeghaim likes this.
  17. derf

derf

Hot damn it is available!

peterdeghaim likes this.
  18. Jago

Jago

This is nice!
    Any chance that it will be integrated in Visual Studio Express?

19. Graph

Graph

tested it quickly with 4.5.0f6 and VS2010 and i have to say Microsoft buying them has led to some mayor improvements
    /crashes a wall.. :D aaaaw yeah

VS Express does not allow for the use of plugins; so doesn't look good, but you can always apply for bizSpark or dreamSpark as mentioned in previous posts.

20. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

Ahhh, too bad this does not work with express, don't have the funds for VS Pro. Guess MonoDevelop it is :(

21. movra

movra

Maybe you can get a DreamSpark account through college or a BizSpark account if you're a startup?

22. nbirko2928

nbirko2928

Unfortunately I'm neither of those, I just do Unity on my off time and work as a programmer full time. Thanks for the heads up though...

23. tango209

tango209

Things may have changed since 2010, but a friend and I were able to get on the BizSpark program. You will need to create a sole proprietorship to get a TIN, but that's fairly cheap (in the U.S.).

24. tswalk

tswalk

25. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Hmm, mine isn't working at all.. The mono-develop screen appears for a second, disappears, and then nothing.

26. Graph

Graph

you did load the package into your assets folder right ? noClue : startUnity, then launch the package from the startMenu link

27. Amon

Amon

I installed it, and opened the needed package within Unity then created a JScript but when I click Open In Visual Studio from the menu it takes me to VS but it doesn't recognize the syntax still.

What do I do from there?

28. schmosef

schmosef

From the changelog, UnityScript and Boo are no longer supported: "VSTU solutions are now C# only and are much faster to load."

As a C# guy, I'm happy with the new focus. But I can see how this might negatively affect others who are used to JS.

29. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

They've been kinda quiet about this, but they dropped support for languages other than C#. That's why it doesn't recognise the UnityScript syntax.

30. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I guess that makes sense being a Microsoft thing... I'm sure they see more value in focusing on C# than helping to support 3rd party languages.

31. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

Nope. Professional + only.

32. Epiplon

Epiplon

My VS 2013 Pro, acquired through Dreamspark, still says the UnityVS solution is incompatible. Any thoughts on that?

33. sailro

sailro

Microsoft

@Epiplon

Perhaps your VSTU extension is not properly registered:

- Make sure that you do not have any Visual Studio instance running
    - Remove VSTU, using Control Panel, Programs and Features
    - Repair your Visual Studio Installation using Control Panel, Programs and Features: Microsoft Visual Studio 20XX, Modify, Repair. Then if you haven't yet upgraded to the last VS Update, you should try to.
    - Reinstall VSTU from Visual Studio Gallery (Visual Studio must be still closed)

If you are migrating an existing UnityVS 1.8 solution:

- Delete the UnityVS .sln and .*proj files from the root folder of your Unity project.
    - Import the new Visual Studio Tools for Unity package into your Unity project as shown in the documentation.

Your new solution will be automatically generated.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  34. Lostlogic

Lostlogic

Nope lol.. that was it!

35. Dabeh

Dabeh

How you liking your new home at Microsoft :)?

36. Amon

Amon

37. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I guess I should have RTFM. I browsed through the install to find the package and manually import it. :/
    Good thing I'm strictly a C# dev! This will make troubleshooting more difficult for third party packages that include source though.

38. Epiplon

Epiplon

@sailro I would like to thank you for the solution! It worked like a charm.

39. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

The UnityVS support of UnityScript was always pretty dodgy, and its inclusion in the solution files tended to cause more problems than it was worth. Personally I'm glad they cut it.

40. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Yeah, I can understand why they've cut it, I just think it's a bit of a shame. Maybe they'll bring it back someday, once they've been focused on the C# stuff for a while. Hopefully they're not doing anything now which is going to make it harder for them to reintroduce stuff later.

41. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Oh coo I always wanted this plugin because I develop in Visual studio but didnt want to fork out the cash. So was using VS for editing and Monodevelop for debugging. Hopefully now I can drop Mono :)

42. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

They didn't get SyntaxTree for free definitely, so they'll have to return the investment... ahmm... from our pockets, of course ;)

43. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Maybe... but MS is also investing heavily in Unity for Windows Store and Xbox One indie development... this tool is almost like a loss leader to promote people to their platforms.

Also.. it's good for their existing developer base because they're not likely going to want to jump into MonoDevelop.

44. GameMechanics

GameMechanics

They dropped support for Unityscript. If you need that DO NOT UPGRADE. They have no method of reverting. And their support says they specifically will not help you. There is no way to install an older version and they will not send you an installer even if you paid for it. None of this is mentioned anywhere except their release notes.

45. Amon

Amon

Like I said, this tool is now a pile of poopoo, to me anyway.

This is what happens. When the bastard sellout happens people who paid for features advertised, submitted bug reports, helped shape the feature ( UnityScript in UnityVS ) end up buttsoed because that's business.

46. zDemonhunter99

zDemonhunter99

You can always use the 1.8 version...

47. Tanel

Tanel

If GameMechanics is right after updating you can't, which indeed sucks.

I use C# anyway with VS, so this is really good news for me. No reason to ever open MonoDevelop again it seems.

48. sphericPrawn

sphericPrawn

I've been loving this so far. Perfect integration and goodbye Monodevelop.

I can understand why MS would want to use this as an incentive and tool to use their language instead of also putting resources into still supporting a pseudo-Javascript language. Honestly, this seems as good a reason as any to switch to C#. I started with UnityScript and wrote my first game with it--but found it really really easy to switch to C# for my second game. I realize there are exceptions, people who just like UnityScript more and/or people in the middle of developing a game written in it. But all in all, I can't blame MS at all for making that decision.

Edit: Although I can definitely understand how people who already spent money on UnityVS to use with UnityScript would be pissed off at no longer having support/updates.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  49. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to auto reload scripts when you create something in the Unity window? Currently, when you move back into VS it brings up the 'File Modification Detected' dialog box where you can reload or ignore the changes. I'd really like to just automatically reload all changes in this instance, but I can't see how. Someone suggested changing a checkbox in the options (Environment - Documents - Auto-Load changes, if saved) but it doesn't seem to work?

50. tswalk

tswalk

@mickyg : try setting options in visual studio for auto-load.

Visual Studio > Debug > Options and Settings

select Environment > Documents > check Auto-load changes, if saved.