Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityUserReportingPlatform.Post: 429 HTTP/1.1 429 Too Many Requests

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by sarahnorthway, Jun 15, 2021.

1. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

Is anyone even successfully using UserReporting? I have had nothing but trouble with it for the last year. The results website is almost always broken in some way, and now:

I upgraded to UserReporting Version 1.0 (Unity 20201.1.5f1) and am getting this error (from the editor):
    UnityUserReportingPlatform.Post: 429 HTTP/1.1 429 Too Many Requests

Then a minute later (and this is great):
    A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Enable Full StackTraces to get more details. (stacktrace is probably same as here)

So it's getting some nonsense spam error even though I am sending like 1 request every 2 minutes, then it fails to close the connection and causes a memory leak?

Any thoughts?

2. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

I wrote Unity and they said the 429 error was a known issue they were working on. Sure enough it started working again the next day. The issue didn't appear on status.cloud.unity3d.com at the time, which showed All Systems Operational, including for "Cloud Diagnostics (Crash Reporting)".

I already had little faith in Unity's UserReporting system. I've had other issues with reports sending then not appearing on the backend, with individual reports that are bugged on the backend and won't open, the backend not showing any reports at all, needing to clear cookies regularly when I login, and being extreeeemly slow to load.

I didn't track down that memory leak but having looked at the UserReporting code, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Since we'll be using Jira for testing internally, I'm switching to another bug reporting system that posts straight to Jira. Hopefully Unity will keep improving UserReporting but at this time I would not recommend it.

3. Schneider21

Schneider21

@sarahnorthway I just started down the road of integrating Cloud Diagnostics and then decided to check this subforum... Very disheartening. What product did you end up going with, if you don't mind me asking?

4. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

I tried Easy Jira from the asset store but it was a bit overkill (even lets you see and edit Jira entries from inside unity) so I ended up only using part of it to post to Jira using their REST api. It's proven to be much more reliable, faster and easier to browse than Unity's cloud reporting tool plus you can assign, take notes on, categorize or close issues.

Unity's service includes more platform, logs and other info out of the box that I needed to add manually. I do hope Unity continues to improve their service.

5. aaronflippo

aaronflippo

Just chiming in to say I'm seeing this error now too.
    I've been depending on this form for users to be able to send us feedback on our game and report bugs. It's really not cool that it can just silently fail like this.

6. ValeryNikulina

ValeryNikulina

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I've tried to reproduce the behavior and haven't been able to. Do you, by any chance, are using Managed code stripping in your project?

7. sarahnorthway

sarahnorthway

My 429 Too Many Requests errors were due to some temporary issue on the server and I haven't noticed them since (I do still submit to User Reporting as well as Jira). No I don't use managed code stripping, and for me the errors occurred in both editor and production exes.

I think the newest version of the Unity User Reporting package is still 0.2.4-preview released in 2019. Memory leak is still in there.

I just went to check dashboard.unity3d.com and ended up in an infinite-refresh loop after hitting back on a report. Fun!

8. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I just tried the package for the first time and uploaded my first report. Afterwards I always get a memory now (A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Enable Full StackTraces to get more details.) and I cannot upload additional reports anymore with error 429 - Too many requests.

Is there a quota on how many reports can be sent per minute/hour/whatever? I couldn't find anything in the docs except for the 10Mb limit.

This is right in the Unity editor on Windows, with Unity 2021.1.28 and latest reporting SDK that was linked from the service.