Search Unity

Question UnityTransport SetRelayServerData and RelayServerData not working?

Discussion in 'Relay' started by ShazamPowers, Dec 8, 2022.

1. ShazamPowers

ShazamPowers

Pretty much followed CodeMonkey's tutorial completely on this and cannot figure out why this isn't working after hours of trying to debug it. I've dumbed it down to something in the RelayServerData or when I SetRelayServerData on the transport. What happens is... well nothing, none of the connection data changes on the transport on both the host and the clients. The join codes are the same on both allocations when I test, however the IDs arent, not sure if that's an issue or not. I wouldn't know how they could have the same join codes but be different allocations.
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public async Task<string> CreateRelay()
    2.     {
    3.         try
    4.         {
    5.             SwapMenuGame(false);
    7.             Allocation allocation = await RelayService.Instance.CreateAllocationAsync(7);
    9.             Debug.Log("allocation ID: " + allocation.AllocationId.ToString());
    11.             string joinCode = await RelayService.Instance.GetJoinCodeAsync(allocation.AllocationId);
    13.             Debug.Log(joinCode);
    15.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(allocation, "dtls");
    17.             Debug.Log(relayServerData.ConnectionData);
    19.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    21.             Debug.Log(NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().ConnectionData.Address);
    23.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartHost();
    25.             Debug.Log(joinCode);
    27.             return joinCode;
    29.         }
    30.         catch (RelayServiceException e)
    31.         {
    32.             Debug.Log(e);
    33.             return null;
    34.         }
    35.     }
    37.     public async void JoinRelay(string joinCode)
    38.     {
    39.         try
    40.         {
    41.             SwapMenuGame(false);
    43.             Debug.Log("Joining Relay with " + joinCode);
    44.             JoinAllocation joinAllocation = await RelayService.Instance.JoinAllocationAsync(joinCode);
    46.             Debug.Log("allocation ID: " + joinAllocation.AllocationId.ToString() + "Join Code: " + joinCode);
    47.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(joinAllocation, "dtls");
    49.             Debug.Log(relayServerData.ConnectionData);
    51.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    53.             Debug.Log(NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().ConnectionData.Address);
    55.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartClient();
    58.         }
    59.         catch (RelayServiceException e)
    60.         {
    61.             Debug.Log(e);
    62.         }
    63.     }

Attached Files:

2. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

What do you mean by this? I wouldn't expect connection data on the transport to change here. If both
    StartClient
    and
    StartHost
    return true, then the connection should be established in the background and you'd be notified of its completion at the
    NetworkManager
    level (e.g. with the
    OnClientConnectedCallback
    callback or through connection approval).

3. ShazamPowers

ShazamPowers

So the transport wouldn't update with the correct information to connect? I am just not getting a connection even though they are using the exact same join code. I check how many clients have connected on the network manager afterward and I only get 1. I also check the allocation IDs, which are different between the clients but have the same join code and IPv4. This was only a problem after incorporating Relay into my project.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  4. soemyatmyat

soemyatmyat

I am also encountering the same issue.

From my troubleshooting, on the client, Unity Transport is throwing below error:

Failed to connect to server.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    Unity.Netcode.Transports.UTP.UnityTransport:ProcessEvent () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.2.0/Runtime/Transports/UTP/UnityTransport.cs:828)
    Unity.Netcode.Transports.UTP.UnityTransport:Update () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.netcode.gameobjects@1.2.0/Runtime/Transports/UTP/UnityTransport.cs:877)

It says "Failed to connect to server" without any details.
    Without any further information, I am not sure how to proceed. :(
    Documentations on Unity NetCode and Relay are really lacking.

VKyuzel likes this.
  5. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, but that information is not visible to you. In particular, it will not appear in the "Connection Data" section of the component (that's for direct IP connections). When you then call
    StartClient
    that's when the connection process is started. If it returns true, then it means the connection information was correctly set up. After that you'd need to use the callback I pointed to in my previous message to know when the connection is successfully established.

This is often caused by a mismatch between the information provided through
    SetRelayServerData
    /
    SetClientRelayData
    and what was obtained from the allocation (usually it's the
    isSecure
    parameter that doesn't match). If you are not already using this API, I'd recommend building the
    RelayServerData
    directly from the allocation. The documentation was updated recently to cover this.

Another thing to look into is to ensure you start your client within 10 seconds of creating your allocation, otherwise the allocation will timeout. For this reason, I'd recommend creating the allocation only when you're about to call
    StartClient
    . And while this may seem obvious, also make sure your host is started (with
    StartHost
    ) before clients connect.

6. ShazamPowers

ShazamPowers

So I went ahead and tested it through the connection approval thing like you were saying. I am only receiving connection requests from the host with the current setup. Any other clients are not properly sending connection requests even though they are getting their RelayServerData from an allocation using the exact same join code as the host's allocation. The client is starting however if that's what you mean by it "returning true"
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  public async Task<string> CreateRelay()
    2.     {
    3.         try
    4.         {
    5.             menu.SetActive(false);
    6.             game.SetActive(true);
    8.             Allocation allocation = await RelayService.Instance.CreateAllocationAsync(7);
    10.             string joinCode = await RelayService.Instance.GetJoinCodeAsync(allocation.AllocationId);
    12.             Debug.Log("Join Code: " + joinCode);
    14.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(allocation, "dtls");
    16.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    18.             NetworkManager.Singleton.ConnectionApprovalCallback = ApprovalCheck;
    20.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartHost();
    22.             return joinCode;
    24.         }
    25.         catch (RelayServiceException e)
    26.         {
    27.             Debug.Log(e);
    28.             return null;
    29.         }
    30.     }
    31.     public async void JoinRelay(string joinCode)
    32.     {
    33.         try
    34.         {
    35.             menu.SetActive(false);
    36.             game.SetActive(true);
    38.             JoinAllocation joinAllocation = await RelayService.Instance.JoinAllocationAsync(joinCode);
    40.             Debug.Log("Join Code: " + joinCode);
    42.             RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(joinAllocation, "dtls");
    44.             NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    46.             NetworkManager.Singleton.StartClient();
    49.         }
    50.         catch (RelayServiceException e)
    51.         {
    52.             Debug.Log(e);
    53.         }
    54.     }
    56.     private void ApprovalCheck(NetworkManager.ConnectionApprovalRequest request, NetworkManager.ConnectionApprovalResponse response)
    57.     {
    58.         // The client identifier to be authenticated
    59.         var clientId = request.ClientNetworkId;
    61.         Debug.Log("Connection received from: " + clientId);
    63.         response.Approved = true;
    64.         response.CreatePlayerObject = true;
    66.         response.Pending = false;
    67.     }

Last edited: Dec 21, 2022
  7. soemyatmyat

soemyatmyat

Thanks, simon. It is indeed because of parameter "secure". It turns out without passing value for secure, Transport will throw "Failed to connect to server" error. isSecure field has by default "false" value. https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...utp@1.0/api/Unity.Netcode.UnityTransport.html

This is not mentioned in documentations:

Here's corrected code:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transport.SetRelayServerData(relayServer.Host, (ushort) relayServer.Port, allocation.AllocationIdBytes, allocation.Key, allocation.ConnectionData, allocation.HostConnectionData, true);
    My connection is dtls.

8. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

@ShazamPowers After you call
    SetRelayServerData
    , does the 'Protocol Type' field under the 'Unity Transport' component change to 'Relay Unity Transport'? Also if you wait a full minute once the client has been started, are there any errors printed in the logs?

Also, how are you testing this? Are you making a separate build for your host/client or using something like ParrelSync?

9. ShazamPowers

ShazamPowers

The protocol type does change to 'Relay Unity Transport' and the client does get a "Failed to connect to server" error after a while. I'm using ParrelSync to test, but I have also tried loading a build up on a separate computer and have the same issue.

10. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

If you change the "dtls" string in the
    RelayServerData
    constructor to "udp" (for both client and host), does the behavior remain the same? If so, and if you are comfortable using that tool, would you be able to share a Wireshark capture of the traffic when the connection fails to be established (with "udp" as the connection type)?

Also, what version of the
    com.unity.transport
    package do you have installed? (It should show up as "Unity Transport" in the package manager.)

11. skwoods98

skwoods98

Seeing a very similar problem - I've got a WebGL project set to use WebSockets in the UnityTransport component.
    Versions:
    NGO 1.2.0
    UnityTransport 2.0.0-pre.3
    Relay 1.0.5
    Unity 2022.2.0b10

I've tried creating the relay using both udp and dtls,

Code (CSharp):
    2. RelayServerData relayServerData = new RelayServerData(allocation, "udp");
    3. NetworkManager.Singleton.GetComponent<UnityTransport>().SetRelayServerData(relayServerData);
    but after about a minute I get an error of "Failed to establish connection with the relay server" and the transport shuts down. Similarly, the client can not connect. I'm using parrelsync for the client connection.

Interestingly, when I call SetRelayServerData, and then pause, the Connection Data section on my Unity Transport object has not changed - still showing loopback address, etc.

12. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

To use Unity Relay with WebSockets, you'll need to set the connection type to "wss" instead of "udp".
    The connection data section is only for direct connections, if using Unity Relay the server's connection information will not appear in the inspector. The only way to know if the server data was set correctly is to look at the 'Protocol Type' field. It should change to 'Relay Unity Transport' once the server data is set.

Fraccas likes this.
  13. skwoods98

skwoods98

You are a genius, thank you, that was it. Changing to "wss" instead of "udp" or "dtls" was what worked. Much appreciated!

14. ShazamPowers

ShazamPowers

So the issue has been solved, first I'm not sure that com.unity.transport was installed correctly. And secondly after fixing that, changing the type from dtls to udp fixed it. Thank you so much for all the help!