Search Unity

UnityScript Editor 2.0.8

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by SolusHunter, May 3, 2010.

1. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

An issue has been found whereby the user configured editor colour styles are saved but not applied on subsequent launches of USE.

An update to address this problem will be released this weekend.

2. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Yeah I noticed this. In order for it to load up the custom color styles you need to open up another script file then close it. Then the first one you had opened will load the color style correctly.
    Another thing I noticed is that, if you have a line of code completed
    Ex
    transform.Translate(0, 1, 0)
    If you try to go in and change Translate to something else the Intellisense stays locked on to the top choice only.

3. Ricks

Ricks

Hi, don't know if it's actual, but I downloaded UnityScript Editor a few weeks ago and found some features missing:

1) Comment/Uncomment multiple lines on the fly. I need that very often for debugging.
    2) Jumping to the appropriate line when an error is displayed in the console
    3) In UniSciTe every variablename which is somehow used by Unity internally is marked blue, which can - when you avoid these names - prevent bugs e.g. if you create a variable named "var position" the "position" is marked as blue, because it is already used by Unity internally (although it doesn't necessarily produce errors if you really use this name). I'dlike to have this feature in UnityScriptEditor too if possible.

Unfortunately I had to revert back to UniScite because of these, however I'm keeping an eye on this editor, since it's very mature and I really like the integrated documentation :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

1. Comment multiple lines is available via a keyboard shortcut. Uncomment multiple lines is coming soon.
    2. Double clicking an error in Unity should open USE and take you to the file in question with the line highlighted, providing you have allowed USE to replace UniSciTe and haven't installed it elsewhere.
    3. A little complex for me to implement at this time. Generally though keywords that are for Unity would be highlighted so should be easy to see if something is risky to use.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  5. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

UnityScript Editor Version 2.6.2 now available.

This version adds/fixes the following:
    - Improved Comment Block to ensure all lines involved in selection are commented even if the user didn't fully select them.
    - Added Un-Comment Block, uses the same keyboard shortcut as Comment Block to toggle the comment area that the caret is currently within
    - Corrected an issue where the user modified colour scheme wasn't applying to new documents

I have investigated HoOliGans intelliprompt issue when going back to a parameter based command and deleted it to type in a new one. Unfortunately at present I haven't been able to resolve the problem. I will continue to look into it, but at present I have a few other things I need to do first.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products/unityscript-editor

6. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Good work Solus, thank you for the update!

7. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Found Bug, using Mathf, then placing a '.' after it auto translates it to MathF, which returns an error.
    MathF.Round(.....)

8. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

For the time being you may want to switch off capitalization correction under Preferences > Editor Visuals. I will be going through the definition files soon and rebuilding them looking carefully at the capitalization process.

9. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

The problem above is caused by a typo in the definition file name. You can correct it by going into the definitions folder, locating the file:

unityscript-MathF.cfg

and renaming it to:

unityscript-Mathf.cfg

Then open the file in NotePad and correct the first line so that it is also Mathf rather than MathF.

Save the file and your done.

This fix will also be added to the next update.

10. Slarti

Slarti

Hi

I just came across this editor, and so far it is working out quite good for me.

2 things I'd like to mention though.

- I tend to write "...}else" in if statements , as it makes the code a bit more compact. this is not handled correctly by the indentation atm
    - a bookmark feature would be great, as, especially in longer function code, it helps jumping back and forth between lines.

I'll be using USE for the next couple of days, but I think I finally found the editor that suits me.

thanks!

11. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Awesome Solus, both things worked, thanks again.

A thing on what Slarti said about auto indententation, when I have that option selected and I code something like this:

var bullet = Instantiate(bulletPrefab,
    transform.Find("spawnPoint").transform.position,
    Quaternion.identity);

and hit enter for a new code entry it auto puts it to:

var bullet = Instantiate(bulletPrefab,
    transform.Find("spawnPoint").transform.position,
    Quaternion.identity);

Not sure if it's just a pet peeve for me, but I can deal with it because auto indenting saves a lot more time in the end.

12. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

That's happening because the auto indenting is working only on the { } level, not sure if there is anything I can do about split code lines.

13. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 2.6.3 is now available

This is just a small update that includes the little things people have found recently:

- Fixed indentation when }else{ is on the same line as the start of the if
    - Fixed Mathf function capitalisation

14. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Thanks for the update!

15. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

Thanks for the update!

I just updated but UE still tells me the version installed is 2.6.1 when I go to Help>About

I tried reinstalling but it didn't fix.

16. Popedead

Popedead

same problem, install say 2.6.3 but is a 2.6.1. tanx

17. RedQueen

RedQueen

Just have say this is an awesome editor. I few bugs but was able to deal with.

18. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 2.6.4 released:

Corrected the installer that was packaging up 2.6.1 regardless (oops)
    Creating a variable with a type will no linger cause a double inclusion of the type
    Also includes the updates from 2.6.1 to 2.6.3 that no one was able to get at.

19. Angrycrow

Angrycrow

SolusHunter! Ramen, Lancelot!

What a crazy thread this has been! Thank you guys so much for developing this tool. I'm happy to find a living Unity/Notepad++/VSE baby. Great work on the software. I'll try to contribute in some way. This update came right after I got to the end here too. Great timing!

Thanks again!

20. Angrycrow

Angrycrow

Alright! I may have found a bug!

I was trying to make a LUA kind of move to type a little less. Along the lines of :

var trz = transform.rotation.z;

After finding that isn't how unity wants to see those reserved words that way :

ArgumentException: You are not allowed to call get_transform when declaring a variable.
    Move it to the line after without a variable declaration.
    Don't use this function in the constructor or field initializers, instead move initialization code to the Awake or Start function.
    MoveCameraWithInputCommand..ctor () (at Assets/MoveCameraWithInputCommand.js:2)

I removed those troubled lines and couldn't preview my script without restarting unity. Maybe the correction of that kind of error didn't register with the main application? Maybe I'm insane for trying.

21. Slarti

Slarti

got a new problem in the latest version:

lines like this:

for (var child : Transform in et)

get "corrected" to :

for (var child : Transform input et)

- strangely this only happens in a couple of files.

22. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Slarti : I can't seem to replicate this issue. You could try disabling autocorrection. Preferences > Editor Visuals > Bottom checkbox.

23. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

AngryCrow: I doubt if this is UnityScript Editor's fault. Unity 3D would have to realise the file has been updated and then recompile the scripts. If for some reason is doesn't check the files then it wouldn't recompile and verify.

24. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 2.6.4b released.

This is a mid-point release (version number doesn't change in the installer or the application) to deal with two minor issues.

Keyword In/in made non-autocorrecting due to both being usable in different circumstances
    Keyword for added to intellipromt to avoid competition issues when a bracket follows immediately after

25. Slarti

Slarti

that did it for me, autocorrection works all right again.

I really appreciate the speed at which you adress these issues, made a little donation for your efforts.

btw: disabling autocorrection didn't stop the error from occuring, I reverted to an older version (for one day :) )

26. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Thank you for your donation, it is gratefully received.

Just to confirm then, did 2.6.4b correct the issue for you? or are you still using an older version?

27. Slarti

Slarti

I'm using the new 2.6.4b version now, and the autocorrection problem is resolved :)

28. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 2.6.5 is now available

- Fixed the View > Increase/Decrease font size menu items (and keyboard shortcuts)
    - Fixed an issue where the intelliprompt would jump back to 'animation' regardless of what was being typed when retyping a function on a line that has brackets after the current cursor location.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products/untiyscript-editor

Thanks to Lucas Simkins and Markus Pohl for their donations to help support the continued development of UnityScript Editor. Their names have been added to the list on the About dialog.

29. piotrO

piotrO

Great work. It's a really nice editor but it's 'over intellisensed'. It autocomplets everything I type, like typing 'i' gives 'imagePosition'.

My suggestions:
    - canceling intelliprompt by pressing colon, semicolon
    - auto completion should kicks in after user types more than one character, 'i + space bar' should give 'i', whereas 'im+space' should gives 'imagePostion'
    - it's just a little idea, but if 'intend guide' line was dotted like in flashdevelop and notepad++ (http://flashdevelop.org/screenshots/app_mtasc_checking.gif) everything would look clearer
    - and having a really basic code coloring for c# would be sweet

30. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I have a few other projects on the go at the moment but once those are done I'm going to sit down and rewrite the intellisense routines from scratch and look at a more efficient way of dealing with case correction.

So, I will take note of your recommendations and see what I can do. That said I do know that the editor component I'm using doesn't support the indentation guide lines you mentioned above.

FYI, intelliprompts can be cancelled with the ESC key and should also close if the ; is pressed.

31. piotrO

piotrO

Great so I will be looking forward for the next version.

32. mikesgames

mikesgames

Thanks for the updated version :)

I have been stuck using an old version for a while because I couldn't find this topic :)

33. dingben

dingben

I use MonoDevelop for UnityScript and Visual Studio for C#
    Is not MonoDevelop included with Unity the better choice for UnityScript?
    Or are there problems with MonoDevelop that would warrant launching oneself into a 1.0itis Editor Project?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity31\MonoDevelop\MonoDevelop\MonoDevelop <- shortcut

34. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

I don't know if it is already in and I just do not see it:
    What about including a + / - option for functions or block comments like in all the other Unity editors around. Would help a lot in navigating through a script file and make it clearer.

35. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I presume you mean that the + and - keys jump to the next function in the script? You can use the function panel on the right (by default) to jump to any function in the current script, just click (or double click depending on preference) on the function name you're after.

36. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

Problem 1 solved, thanks. ;)

However, I actually meant to have an option to hide parts of the code when it gets very long in one script file. Like in the Unity standard editor, where you can see + / - next to the line number where the function / the block comment is hidden.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  37. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Ah I see. Sadly the editor component used in USE cannot support code-folding, so I have no way of implementing that feature. Sorry.

38. TimHellmann

TimHellmann

Damn. .... Damn Damn.... Marty, we have to find a solution!
    Isn't there a way to make a detour like UnityDevelop editor did it? I do not know how it works there but it has this feature. I just use your editor and do not want to change it again. For instance... to make a hand-made open/close option for the whole function and for every { } bracket part?

39. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I'm afraid not, there are no options for hiding certain lines of code available. The only other solution would be if it was possible to have a separate instance of the editor that edits just the selected function and then updates the code file behind the scenes.

This is all rather complicated though and I doubt if I will be able to do anything like that for a while.

Sorry.

40. Sammual

Sammual

I can't believe I missed this. I have been looking for a Unity JS editor. I will check it out tonight.

Sammual

41. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

UnityScript Editor 2.6.6 released

It's just a small bug fix release that adds additional indentation rules for more complex if...else if statements, and also corrects a bug that causes the intelliprompt to replace a variable declaration statement incorrectly when there are no spaces between the colon:

var test:boolean - would replace as vartestboolean

42. Slarti

Slarti

Hi

still using this editor quite happily, but I'm running into a small problem here. As my project grows, I have some scripts now with 5k+ lines of code. the automatic indentation starts to take up to 2 seconds sometimes, making it hard to just code away...

is there any chance this will get sped up?

I'm working without automatic indentation atm. One thing that might help me a lot : if the indentation of the line you are in, when pressing enter, is just added to the new line. Normally, you just go back or forth another tab. this would surely be quicker than always tabbing to the current indentation. maybe as an option?

43. makan

makan

Reminds me Boreland C++ :p

44. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I think if you're script files are getting that long you'll have to disable the automatic indentation. The indentation process at present, as you may already know, updates the indentation for the entire file for each new line.

Due to the lack of support by the community I am no longer actively developing UnityScript Editor. It will get updates from time to time but nothing substantial I'm afraid.

45. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Unity ScriptEditor 2.6.8 released

This small update makes the following changes:
    When changing the scheme colours the currently assigned colour is now passed to the dialog
    Changing the editor font now changes the line number margin font accordingly.

46. marty

marty

Any chance at all that you might be convinced to create a Mac version of this amazing little piece of software?

47. U7Games

U7Games

hey!... fantastic.. i will give a try.... thanks..

ps: can you set environment colors? i like a black background with light texts...

48. U7Games

U7Games

nevermind is working good with my dark bg and light text hehheh.. thanks for this... i was using notepad++ (just because the obsidian theme) but now what we have a fully integrated Unity scripter with nice colors.. well.... thanks..

49. U7Games

U7Games

I have been using UnityScript Editor, but i found a problem, not sure if this is because my code?

Image attached ..

ps This IDE is great!, i really like it, and scheme has just the necessary things, hope to continue using., so what could be the error?

Thanks.

ps. I forgot to say that it happened when i write "active",,, but is randomly, now, im writing active and nothing happen... well..

$00.png

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  50. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Without knowing the exact cause for the problem I can't reproduce the issue. I'm getting ready to start my own Unity project (once I've worked out some texturing issues) and I'll be using USE myself so if anything comes up I'll see what I can do.