Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityScript Editor 2.0.8

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by SolusHunter, May 3, 2010.

1. StephenL

StephenL

Nice themes in this update! Thank you. :)

2. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

Thanks for the update! The the new color scheme is great

3. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Just so that everyone is aware. I've noticed that the Unity Scripting Reference website when using the search, doesn't work at all in Internet Explorer, the internal browser for USE is IE, so the next update I hope to swap over to the Mozilla engine instead. With this I can then get the F1 to open reference on selected command in the USE browser rather than opening an actual web browser.

IE always finds a way to annoy me :)

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Do we have to wait the future mono 3.0 ?
    i'm really interested in a Mac porting.

5. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I have no idea about the Mono development platform. If it supports Windows .dll components then it may be possible.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

i am not an Expert of Mono but it should be possible to support .dll components.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)

In any case i would like to start the support for this Mac porting at least with a donation.
    Anyone interested? ( Unitron for me is too limited )

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  7. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

That would be nice. I can't remember when was the last time I used IE.

Do you know if the Script Documentation we have installed after installing Unity on our computers is exactly the same as the one in the website? If so, do you think would be possible to use that when we press F1 instead of the website? The already installed is faster...

8. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

@Al Anselmo - I don't know I'll look into it, if it's not compiled in someway I should be able to use it.

@Andrea - I've downloaded a Mono Migration tool for Visual Studio so I will see what that has to say about the potential of converting for the Mac. The downside is the mono compiler for visual studio isn't free (http://mono-tools.com/), but let's see if it is actually possible first.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great!

10. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

+1 Vote for linking directly to the documentation on the system's hard drive. Maybe allow the path to be set in a configuration setting.

11. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

That would be great!

12. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Just a quick report about the potential for a Mac OSX port.

I downloaded Mono Tools migration analyser tool and ran UnityScript Editor through it. It has returned:

Methods that are still missing in Mono: 1208
    P/Invokes called: 302
    Methods called marked with MonoTodo: 30

So according to the analyser at present Mono is no where near complete enough for me to be able to get USE running on MAC OSX.

13. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Quick query for other users of USE please:

Can you tell me if the internal documentation path for your Unity installation is as follows:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\Documentation\Documentation\ScriptReference\
    or,
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\Documentation\Documentation\ScriptReference\

I think I've completed the update to use the internal documentation, and I just want to check and make sure I have the right path.

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I think it depends on what OS you're using.

First, I believe that for Windows 7 and Vista users, Unity by default installs into the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, but Windows XP users will have it installed in the C:\Program Files folder.

Second, some of us (me at least) have renamed the installation folder so I can run both Unity 2.6x and Unity 3.x on the same computer. This is important for those of us who have been using Unity for a while for backwards compatibility and other reasons.

I think the best solution would be my earlier recommendation, that you have an edit field in the preferences where we can manually locate the documentation folder. That way it will work no matter what folder the docs are in.

15. Demonith

Demonith

I love this script editor is the easiest way to work with scripts i make some scripts by me self and for beginners this is the one best !

16. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I have got it set up as a preference but I wanted to get it to try and detect the location to make things easier. Thanks for your input. The update should be ready tomorrow.

17. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Perfect! :)

18. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

Mine is this
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Data\Documentation\Documentation\ScriptReference\

Using windows 7 ultimate

19. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

UnityScript Editor 2.5.5 now available for download:

USE now uses the Unity installed documentation for the help dock. A new tab on the preferences window has been added to allow you to specify the location of the documentation. However, USE will make it's best guess when first running and should in most cases locate it properly. If the help guide comes up and displays the script reference you know it found it ok. If you get a 404 error then you will need to manual specify the path.

2.5.5 also adds ESC key that cancels Intelliprompt display, which was requested by another user.

I was hoping to add custom theme support for this version but I haven't had the time. This will be the last update until the new year, unless there is anything critical.

Happy Holidays.

http://www.arsoftware.co.uk/products/unityscript-editor

20. mikesgames

mikesgames

nice update!

Thanks for this dude :)

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yes, very nice update. It even found my doc's folder automagically! Have a very nice holiday! :)

22. StephenL

StephenL

Very nice update! I love this editor.

23. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

Wow, I'm really happy to see how USE is growing in quality!

Have a great holiday.

24. Al-Anselmo

Al-Anselmo

Sorry, I forgot to report this:
    - Sometimes, after clicking play in unity and going back to tweak the code in USE, USE seems like "I am loading, please wait....", and it takes a while before it become usable again.
    This was happening in the previous versions too... Does it happen with anyone else, or just me?

Intel Core i5
    Intel DP55WB
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    4GB Ram

Merry xmas everyone.

25. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Hasn't happened to me, at least not that I've noticed. But I'm not using it all that much yet as I'm still on Unity 2.6.1 until the next 3.x release.

26. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I think it could be that during Play mode Unity is constantly holding the error log open and so if you are trying to edit at the same time USE has trouble retrieving the information.

You could try the following out for me and see if it helps:
    In USE go to preferences and check the bottom option (disable error log handling)
    Quit USE
    In Unity open up a script reloading USE
    Then back in Unity enter play mode and see if USE locks up whilst your game is running.

27. Ricks

Ricks

Thanks man, this editor is a great relieve to UniScite.

28. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

The installer seems to ignore the directory I select to Install to :)

I have 2 directories

Program Files\Unity\
    and \Unity3\

(obvious reason is obvious)
    when i choose Unity3\ as an install location
    it overwrites stuff in Unity\ and dumps a bunch of files intot he Unity3\ based path; but does not overwrite UniCiTe.exe
    however it does rename UniSciTe.exe to UniSciTe.ex_ within the Unity\ folder

uhh...
    yep.

29. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I deliberately made the installer as easy as possible, but it does have to make assumptions that Unity in is the default location. What I will do over the XMas break is put together a manual installer (zip) that those with a non-standard installation will be able to use to install UnityScript Editor.

I will try and get that sorted out this afternoon. Keep an eye on the forum or my USE download page for it.

30. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

31. Fenrisul

Fenrisul

Thx :) I was able to get things movin by just copying the correct files over to my other Unity folder right after I made my initial post; but thank you for the manual installer :)

Just out of curiosity... why even bother asking for an install directory if its going to install wherever it likes to anyway? That just feels like a poor installer heh - maybe prompt for "Find Unity directory" as well..? Though I'd think you could just ../../../../ and get there.

32. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I've been looking into the installer and have made some big improvements. It will now ask you to specify the Unity folder, rather than where you want USE installed. For this I have also changed some of the installer labels so that the explain the processes more clearly.

The new installer (2.5.6) will be available in the next few days.

Others: Has anyone that was experiencing lock up when going back and forth whilst Unity was playing a game managed to see if disabling the error handling resolved the issue. I tried the other day to reproduce the lockup and I still haven't had the problem occur.

33. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Haven't had that issue yet. I do have a request though: One is that I wish there was a hotkey for multiple line comment/uncomment.

34. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

@bigkahuna - The next update will include a keyboard shortcut for Comment Block /* .. */, at present there is no uncomment block function

The next update will also include scheme colour customisation from within the editor, this will do away with the need to manually edit the schemes, and the settings will remain between future updates.

35. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

The latest update is now available. Version 2.6 adds a whole host of goodies for you to use:

Please note, this version adds a new docking panel to the interface and because of this your current UI layout will be reset.

Change Log:
    • Added shortcut key for Comment Multiple lines
    • Scheme colours are now fully editable within USE>Preferences, with this the dark, grey and mline schemes have been removed. You will need to reconfigure the editor to your liking.
    • Added new Project Files List window that only displays categorized script files; Javascript, C-Sharp, Boo, Shaders, generic text files. As with other file list windows you can double click to open the file.
    • USE will now jump on top when a file is double clicked from within Unity.
    • Added prevention method to hopefully stop USE from locking up in rare occasions when going from a running game in Unity back to USE.
    • Added iPhone intelliprompt support files.

As always, UnityScript Editor is donationware, please consider making a donation to help keep the application alive.

36. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Is anyone out there using UnityScript Editor on a chinese version of windows? I've had a few emails from a person using USE in china and they can't speak/type English very well and I'm having a hard time understanding what they are talking about. I believe he is ssaying that when he attempts to type words and functions in USE, via what looks like a chinese symbol converter, the input is duplicated:

so, typing function would result in functionfunction

Does anyone have any insight in this sort of thing?

37. Specal

Specal

Nice editor SolusHunter!

I do have a question about the way your Intelligent prompting + auto completion is working. Fx. writing: GUI.Button (Rect (10, 40, geo, 40), "Text")

The problem is when you want to write geo and then end by "," it auto complets geo to geometryUtility.

ESC don't help either only SPACE.

Is this the way you want it to be or?

regards
    Specal

38. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

The comma should cancel the intelliprompt. Sounds like a slight glitch. I'll check it out and fix it for the next update. Thanks for letting me know.

39. GFX47

GFX47

Hi there!
    I can't get my error log tab display the script errors from my code.
    Is there some kind of configuration to set manually or is it supposed to work once installed?

40. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

In the preferences make sure 'Disable error log handling' isn't ticked, then it should work. It may also fail if Unity isn't installed in the default location. If this is the case let me know and I will look at changing the location handling.

41. GFX47

GFX47

Thanks for this quick answer!
    The "Disable error log handling" option is not checked and Unity is installed in the default location: "C:\Program Files\Unity" (XP SP2).
    I had no problem during installation with default value.

42. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

That's odd. The last update did make a change to the error log handling, perhaps it's not working exactly as it should. I'm planning on an update this weekend so I will take a look into it further during the rest of the week.

43. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

Version 2.6.1 now available for download

Changes:
    - Added comma as an intelliprompt cancelling character; this fixes issues where the intelliprompt completes incorrectly whilst entering function and method parameters.
    - Made some internal improvements to how the error log is handled from Unity.

44. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

I made an account for the simple fact of saying thank you.
    Had one question though, is there a reason why when I save it force opens where I want to save and I have to overwrite the file every time? I understand it doing that with Save As, but CTRL-S(Save) should just automatically overwrite the file. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Again thank you very much!

45. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

@Ho01iGaN : Not something I've seen occur. When I've used control+S to save it just saves the file silently, and no-one else has reported the problem. Perhaps your source files are marked as read-only?

46. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Hm, not sure it makes me manually overwrite every time. How would you suggest I change it to not read-only.

47. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

I can't say for sure that's what it is. If you locate one of your files in windows, right click it, select Properties. The dialog that opens will have a tick box for read-only. Deselect that and click Apply. Then see if USE still asks to save (you may have to close and reopen).

48. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Ahh I thought you were referring to changing the settings in USE. What you recommended fixed the issue. When I create a script inside of USE is it automatically set to read-only? Or would that be a setting I have on Windows?

Thanks again.

49. SolusHunter

SolusHunter

It would be something Windows is doing and isn't related to USE or Unity3D. Do you have UAC enabled, or perhaps some security permissions problem. Either way unfortunately it's not something I'm going to be able to help with.

Files saved via USE or Unity shouldn't be set as read-only.

50. Ho01iGaN

Ho01iGaN

Not a problem, you've helped more than enough. I'll fix the Windows issue. Thanks again for USE, and I hope you continue with it.