Search Unity

Unity's Top Paid Assets?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by vertexx, Jun 29, 2022.

1. vertexx

vertexx

Just wondering. How is it that two or three of these "Top paid assets" have no ratings/stars at all? No stars, no comments? How reliable is this "Discover Unity's Top Paid Assets" page? Should we rely on it?
    How does one get a place on this Top Paid" thing without any comments or stars?
    Are stars not a reliable way to judge an asset's form anymore? Or is "Top Paid Assets" not reliable?

nasos_333 likes this.
  2. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Could you show screenshots please?
    I only see "Top Selling" (along Top New and Top Free) and those are heavily rated. Dynamic Bone is at the top with over 600 ratings.

3. vertexx

vertexx

nasos_333 likes this.
  4. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Ahh I see. Have not used that menu point so far. Hard to tell how that algorithm works, it's certainly a mix since there are a lot of "famous" assets there too. Would say way over half of them. Probably it's time based (like 50% overall best sellers plus 50% best sellers of last 3 months).
    That makes sense for this type of shop feature because if you only promote the "best sellers" then only those will be sold even more and your list remains the same forever while newcomers are unhappy because they never get a chance (what harms the store long term).
    The Youtube algorithm has a similar strategy.

5. vertexx

vertexx

nasos_333 likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

I agree, as a publisher i can see some unthinkable decisions happening, like order each category first page with the all newer assets, making top ranked asset completely disappear from user views.

This means years of hard work to earn a place in the top systems, that translates to constant development, additions and maximum user support now is all down the drain, as there is now a huge penalty to making complete and long supported assets.

Essentially Unity tells asset makers to create small biweekly assets, tiny in scope and support needs and post them regularly. This now gives the maximum reward for making assets, which means will eventually lower the quality of what can be found in the store dramatically and hurt the whole store quality perception.

Also this hurts new assets, as after the first two weeks discount period, will also face the push out of the first pages, no matter their quality or reviews and sales gathered, which i suppose will be an even worse case than established assets are facing, because even top quality systems wont have any chance to grow and be exposed for what they are.

So is now all looking like a big experiment, than a stable reliable store, from both a publisher and user standpoint.

7. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

@nasos_333 Is it really that grim, or are users more competent than you think in that they can figure out there's a "sort by" dropdown? And once changed, it sticks.

Maybe we can also view this as a sort of incentive to users by forcing them to use the sort function at least once, so they actually know they can sort the list in ways that better serve their needs.

Btw and quite frankly, I don't know why anyone would want to sort assets by Name. After all if you know the name, you search for it. And if you don't, you don't know what you are looking for, then you are better off sorting by anything but Name.

DragonCoder likes this.
  8. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

@nasos_333 That's normal - and surprisingly similar to what the oldies on youtube regularly complain about.
    With SO MUCH competition you simply have to be constantly contributing and be interesting to stay in the top. Be silent and you will be forgotten.
    Same with games too. Your downloads tank on the appstores if you do not update regularly.

Annoying, but this is a fair solution.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi, no it does not stick, even if you select sort by Popularity the next visit to any category 1st page is sorted by Published Date again.

That is the whole point actually

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

I dont stay silent, i update and enhance my assets for 8+ years now exactly because this gave me a reward of extra exposure.

Now there is zero reason to make bigger more complete assets, that is the point, that the assets will start decline in features and quality and users get much less for bigger prices eventually

New assets also face extinction soon after release, no matter their quality or popularity

This is the exact opposite of contribute to stay on top, this is disappear no matter what you can possibly do situation, unless can push a new asset every few days, which means either that is impossible or the asset will have a single feature and never will be something bigger.

11. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

Wouldn't the incentive to provide constant updates gradually grow the product further?
    Sure, only focusing on new assets could lead to smaller\simpler assets, but I don't really see that happening. You definitely find the "big players" when you search.

12. nasos_333

nasos_333

You find them because for 10+ years they were rewarded and grow to this stage, the point is that now this is gone and will never be new big players probably

Also this is exactly the issue, if i am not going to get any extra sales no matter how i upgrade the asset, because is lost from 1st pages, then why do any upgrade to it ?

If noone can see my assets, then is zero sales, and if zero sales is close shop than make more assets or upgrade the old, that is what is happening right now.

And this applies fully to the new assets as well, maybe to a bigger extend.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022