Search Unity

Unity's Substance Designer 6 SBSAR file support

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by QuinnDP, Feb 17, 2017.

1. QuinnDP

QuinnDP

When importing a SBSAR file made through SD6, Unity is kicking off with the following:

Searching for the same error, it occurred back when SD5 released, Unity not knowing what to do with the new nodes in Substance (in my case, the text node).

Is there a fix around this issue, or should I wait for the update to come out?

2. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I don't know for sure(I only use the substances in Painter, never directly in Unity), but what makes the most since would be to wait. 3rd party software that uses the Substance engine has to get updated, and I'm sure this is the case with Unity as well.

QuinnDP likes this.
  3. TimHW

TimHW

The Substance plugin is built-in for Unity. As Unity's latest update was before Substance Designer 6 was released, the current built-in plugin won't support Substance Designer 6 (as is the case for any version of Substance that is released); you need to wait for the next Unity version update before being able to use version 6 SBSAR files.

QuinnDP likes this.
  4. QuinnDP

QuinnDP

Reposting here, It's been over a month now, new patches have been released for Unity (I've tried both 5.5.2f1 and 5.5.2p2, still doesn't seem like Unity is supporting the Text assets within Substance. Does anyone know when this is happening? Is it fair to assume it will finally work when Unity 5.6 comes out at the end of the month, or am I simply missing something?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,

We are working on the update for the Unity Substance plugin to support the SD6 engine. We don't know exactly which version it will be available. Unity ships patches weekly so the plugin update will most likely appear in one of these patches after they have been able to test it.

Cheers,
    Wes

6. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Any news on SD6 compatibility?

laurent-h likes this.
  7. avtar109

avtar109

is there Any more news on the SD6 compatibility update?

8. graspee

graspee

Any news on the SD6 compatibility yet? Modo indie doesn't support it, unity doesn't support it. Beginning to regret upgrading.

9. syscrusher

syscrusher

Have the folks at UT confirmed that the update will be in a patch, rather than requiring a wait for the next major Unity upgrade?

10. Martin_H

Martin_H

Any news when SD6 graphs will be supported in Unity? Did anyone here try with 5.6? I'm still on 5.5.

11. QuinnDP

QuinnDP

Back on 17th March wesm (in Substance forums) said that the substance team were waiting for a unity certification to be given to the plugin before it would go live into one of Unity's weekly patches for 5.6

Last I heard was on 22nd March, that they were working on the Plugin again and there's no ETA. Presumably the plugin did not meet certification standards, and SD's team are still at work on the plugin reaching minimum requirements for Unity to be willing to patch it into there latest build.

Any new news would be greatly appreciated, since it's been a month since the last official comment I saw on this topic. I'd hope the plugin is at least in Unity's hands right now, being verified to then be passed out in a couple weeks.

Martin_H and syscrusher like this.
  12. morbidcamel

morbidcamel

Hi guys - exact same thing - haven't worked on my project for a few months - had to upgrade designer and now new sbar's don't work! Timeline on this would be appreciated

13. Archviz3d

Archviz3d

Any news???

14. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good morning, Substance team. I normally refrain from "me too" posts, but I'm making an exception here. I have been waiting to upgrade from SD5 to a Substance Live subscription, but there's no need to do that while SD6 isn't supported in Unity. This is particularly sad for me, since Allegorithmic actually implemented a feature in SD6 for which I was one of the requesting users. They added my feature, and I can't use it. :(

I understand this isn't all under your control, but please at least update the timeline for us during the Allegorithmic/Unity collaboration process.

Martin_H likes this.
  15. syscrusher

syscrusher

16. syscrusher

syscrusher

Martin_H and QuinnDP like this.
  17. Martin_H

Martin_H

I find it rather frustrating that the Substance plugin has apparently become a neglected part of the engine. Still no 4k support in the forseeable future is bad news, and the way things are going I think I'll have to rule out using Substances directly in my project. I'll still make heavy use of Substance Painter (and maybe also SD) to create my textures, but I'll have to export them to image files and write custom shaders for all potential "fancy stuff" I could have done with a proper procedural texture, like customizable paintjobs etc..

18. Memborg1

Memborg1

Works in Unreal Engine, which I have been thinking about switching to when starting professionally. Not that Unity isn't good, but I've been curious on what Unreal has to offer. Spending 370$ on the entire substance package, it's too frustrating it will not work in Unity. It cannot use the textures for me either except the BaseColor and Normal map.

19. Dr_Evanzan

Dr_Evanzan

Is there any ETA from anyone at Unity about when the latest plugin will make it into a Unity release?
    As mentioned above, I gather the problems with the plugin have been resolved and it is waiting for Unity to include it in a release?

20. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

NicolasLiatti mentioned yesterday(on Allegorithmic's Discord) that SE6 should be included in 2017.2 beta, as far as they know.

21. orb

orb

Are we there yet? Has anyone tried the .2 beta with SD6 files? I've started on a client project where I'd prefer not to go back to the old engine.

22. Saaamoth

Saaamoth

It works for me on 2017.2 04b.

Martin_H, trilobyteme and orb like this.
  23. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I haven't tried yet but talked to someone who has and they love the new workflow. It's actually a much more robust integration and looks like it has live link / preview support with SD so you can see your substance changes immediately in Unity (but I could have misunderstood how it was working).

orb likes this.
  24. orb

orb

That's a new plugin they just announced/released. I'm not sure if it requires the latest beta of Unity, but I think it's a requirement to do so for maximum compatibility with the latest Substance tools anyway. Much Unity love in the latest release too.

Dustin-Horne likes this.
  25. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I wasn't sure. It was in a Skype group that I'm in. I believe the MegaSplat one but might have been the Unity Bar & Grille :)

26. mariusz

mariusz

It's working with unity 2017.1.0f3 and Substance Painter 2017.2. I was playing with this for a while but was looking great.
    Just send game object to Painter and got realtime preview, in gameplay mode also.

Dustin-Horne and orb like this.
  27. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Substance Painter is not Substance Designer - just to be sure we are talking about the same thing here.
    I've seen Allegorithmic's announcement about the livelink between Painter and Unity, too.
    Since Painter can interpret Designer files one would be able to push SBS data through the pipeline that Unity may not be able to interpret itself - but this only goes so far and means pre-baked textures and not SBS archives only a couple of hundred kilobytes in size.