Search Unity

Unity's Numba-One on Google!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jonathan Czeck, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

I'm not sure what led me to check this today, but I was happy and surprised to see that unity3d.com is now the first match on Google for Unity! It used to be something like third not too long ago.

"Live Search" still has a ways to go, not that anyone really uses it. ;-)
    http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=unity&go=&form=QBLH

Hooray!
    -Jon

2. etoiles

etoiles

cool!

First result for me was the 'spiritual resource for positive living', but that is probably because I live in hippie county aka Boulder, Colorado. :D

Fortunately, google lets you promote search results if you are logged in to your google account... one click later, the real Unity was at the top.

3. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Well, leave it to Google to confuse. It's back to #2. I should have done a screenshot.

Sorry to clutter up the boards.

4. MatthewW

MatthewW

Man, you Unity guys really need a meta description tag. 99% of the time Google will use that as the text snippet on search results. Right now it's just a bunch of random page text...

5. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

There is a meta description.

When it comes to Unity in search results, we need an effort to start calling it "Unity" instead of "Unity3D" especially in link text.

6. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Heh its #1 on both Unity3D and Unity for me..maybe also because of the new personalised search results?

7. nickavv

nickavv

It's both first and second Google result for me, when searching for "unity"

8. IPete

IPete

Thats a bit like opening a dictionary at around UNIT, finding UNITY and saying "Hey wow UNITY" is in here!

Searching for the actual name is pretty useless in terms of getting excited about finding it, now if you entered "best 3D game engine" and Unity 3D came up then maybe I'd be happy.

For example, go to Google and search for "fire safety information" and about number 6 is the Welephant website - this is pretty good as Welephant's website is what I want you to find when you type "fire safety information", not a website called 'fire safety information' - if you get my meaning?

That is soley down to good search engine optimisation on the front page of the website.

9. Scrat

Scrat

Except that the word Unity is a very common word. So the fact that Unity3D is the first to come up when typing unity means that the engine gets more and more popular.

But I get what you mean by saying it would be even more interesting if typing "best game engine" would give Unity's website...

One step at a time... :p

10. Charles Hinshaw

Charles Hinshaw

I have to agree with Scrat. When a product has a name that is a word that exists in other contexts, owning search engine results for the product's name without including some sort of description (eg. not "Unity game engine") can be a problem. Good to see unity3d.com has climbed up on that search. Now if Unity Microelectronics wants to part with a domain name, that would be even better.

11. nickavv

nickavv

No results for Unity on "best 3d game engine", however we're the fourth hit for "best mac game engine".

:p

12. runevision

runevision

It's not useless at all. People will start seeing things like "Made with Unity" in lots of places (or hear other people mention it), and when they go "What is that Unity thing?" and go searching for it, they will actually find it right there at the top of the results. That is highly valuable.

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Yup it is usefull, and of course Unity *needs* a #1 rating on "Unity" and "Unity3D" first before even being able to rank well on other keywords (since unity is bound to be linked more often with the term "unity").

So Unity now has a proper search engine ranking to go for the more usefull keywords.