Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Unitys Navmesh System

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Joggla, Feb 13, 2023.

1. Joggla

Joggla

So I am trying to develop a top down rpg style game.
    I decided to use Unitys build in navmesh system.
    There are a ton of videos on youtube explaining stuff, but as it seems they dont go into much detail and just show basic stuff. Everytime I try to make something custom I cant find stuff on the internet and just play around with the navmesh system myself and slowly get stuff to work.
    Is this normal that once you get past the beginner stages of Unity you have to work out most of it yourself?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Yes, this is normal and usual with any type of software.

Any tutorials only show you how to get round. Once you know basics, you are to spend time and experiment for your use case, as everyone's is different.

While you can find sometimes more advance guides, logs and tutorials, most of such knowledge comes from an experience, by asking and reading on forums. And optional also paying someone to assist you. Like premium support etc.

shikhrr, stain2319 and Joggla like this.
  3. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

You will have big trouble finding frameworks that have more tutorials than Unity. What you experience is quite logical. The possibilities what can be done with a component/system (like Navmesh) branches infinitely after those beginner stages. You could probably make a dedicated navmesh tutorial for each of the 5-10 main game genres out there, but none has time for that.

Don't worry, if you pursue game/software dev long term, you will notice how patterns repeat. Deducing how to apply a new system on your particular problem after only a base tutorial or even just the docs, will become easier the more of those challenges you faced before!

Joggla likes this.