Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity's Input Manager is stupid and confusing and needs to be improved

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DannyBacon, Dec 13, 2018.

?

Do you agree that Unity's Input Manager needs to be improved?

1. Yes

94.7%
  2. No

5.3%
  1. DannyBacon

DannyBacon

Edit: So it seems a new input system has been being worked on for a long time now. In the meantime however, I think the official documentation could use a lot more information regarding the state and limitations of the current system, and also clarify what the current features actually do, as I find them unnecessarily confusing. Otherwise I'm left to once again scavenge the internet for said information which should've already been in the docs. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    vollukas likes this.
  2. DannyBacon

DannyBacon

Yes, I see it.

Exactly how long has this "new input system" been under development? I've seen posts going back to several years ago. A lot of the problems I have with the current input system I imagen could be fixed with simple renames, repositions, and better descriptions and documentation. It couldn't possibly take several years to make those changes, could it? It shouldn't take five minutes to update the docs.

(By the way, if you're the one who voted "no" on the poll, may I ask what it is you like so much about the current system? (Not the one under development, the current one.))

3. It's not that important and it's under heavy development by Unity, so I haven't voted. And I won't argue with you about "why Unity didn't make a new Input system sooner". You're failing to be constructive and I have no intention to argue with your anger.

4. DannyBacon

DannyBacon

I did not ask the question you quoted: "why didn't Unity make a new Input system sooner." I asked when production began, with sincerity and without anger. I'm not complaining about how long it may be taking them, as I totally understand the more advanced feature compatibility would take time and care to program.

I ask why the documentation doesn't answer any of the important questions regarding the confusing naming convention, and no mentioning of what some features do in some cases, and how long would it take to add this information. Not necessarily a question for you, but for whomever may know the answer. But thank you for responding regardless.

5. TheCuriousHobbyist

TheCuriousHobbyist

Is no one talking about how weird the syntax is for referencing things? And if it's not weird enough, you have to do things differently than people like Brackeys told you to do back before it was in Packages. Like when you reference the action, the slot doesn't appear.

It literally allows you to generate a C# class file. Why can't you simply reference that class file in your own code by just doing something like "InputActions.ActionMap.Action or whatever and use that value?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  6. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

You can do exactly that. If you're having trouble learning the new system, you could make a new topic or search for how to do that rather than necroing an old thread.