Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity's inexplicable bake light system

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by jeroll3d, Jan 11, 2022.

1. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

Imagine the following situation, using the same map, the same conditions, without moving a finger in the scene, nothing, absolutely nothing, two bakes, just to test, the first being via GPU and the second, inexplicably, automatically switching to CPU. Of course, the first, fast, accurate. The second is an endless headache...

I would sincerely love to hear from Unity engineers what the mystery behind this 'feat' is. o_O

2. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

...or, what im doing wrong :(

I ll sugest a 'script', called: 'unity_go_eat_nuggets_dont_toutch_in_my_gpu_to_bake_the_lights' :p

3. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

...and this stupid system still changing from GPU to CPU... ZERO reason for this, nothing, is just a stupid system to irritate people!

Just a system to annoy people, make them waste time and productivity. There is no reason for this, nothing, no technical explanation. And the worst thing is that Unity does not respond to its community about this completely 'no idea' system.

My scenery, a city, a simple direct light, so far, no problems. It was burning lights with the GPU and it was 'quiet', far from its full capacity - very far. 2 minutes of bake light... no big deal, super, hyper fast... I add a simple extra cube, and everything goes to hell...back to the CPU, no explanations...and much more bake light time ...

I would love to hear from Unity the reasons for this... how 4 faces of a cube can make so much difference among hundreds of thousands more...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  4. burningmime

burningmime

Progressive GPU is still in "preview" and is more than a little buggy. You can use Enlighten, shell out for Bakery, buy a 16GB graphics card and install it on a separate slot so it's dedicated only to light baking, use a remote server/cluster for baking, or wait for Unity to fix it.

5. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

Because 4 faces, between 350k more, do a HUGE diference. Yes, '16gb...card...' ts. Just a script to prevent it solved.

6. burningmime

burningmime

It doesn't have to do with the number of faces; it has to do with the size of the lightmap. Those 4 faces might have pushed it from a 2048x2048 lightmap to a 4096x4096 lightmap or made it split into multiple. And it is unstable, so you don't know when it will switch to CPU.

jeroll3d likes this.
  7. jeroll3d

jeroll3d

I confess that I was scared when I saw an alert on my profile, the last time you intervened here, you suggested that I buy a new video card, I thought that this time you would suggest that I buy the Square Enix or Sony... :)

(but thanks for the help, anyway - about 2k and 4k texture, you gime a good idea right now, drop all textures to 1024 and start some tests, apreciate. Finally I managed to do what I wanted, burn everything on the GPU with 4k. I did it in stages and reduced the amount of objects in the scene a little. For the CPU this time it didn't take that long, 15 minutes (and I've read in this forum people who had their projects or scenes burned in 6 or more hours and I confess that I had left this type of optimization 'aside', I was too worried about other things and ended up not even realizing it - really, thank you).

Last edited: Jan 13, 2022