Search Unity

UnityRTS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by bgivenb, Mar 12, 2012.

1. bgivenb

bgivenb

Hi, my name is Given Borthwick, and I am, along with a coder, Joao Carlos (silentwarrior) working on a tank RTS game in unity. I thought that I might post a few screenshots to show off my work so far. All the assets aside from the (rocks, trees, tanks and terrain) share 1 1024^2 texture. I hope you like it.

Update: 3/29/12

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  2. bgivenb

bgivenb

more screenshots

Attached Files:

3. bgivenb

bgivenb

you can see larger images by right clicking an image-copy image URL, and paste it into a new tab

4. markusb

markusb

that looks good, much better than mine :-(

5. SevenBits

SevenBits

I like that. The texture thing is brilliant, really; you must've written lots of UV code, because they're pretty unique textures in there...

6. bgivenb

bgivenb

its just clever unwrapping but thanks. Oh, and I also forgot to mention the normal map and destruction map (see screenshots)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. bgivenb

bgivenb

For those interested here is sort of how did my texturing (see the paint over screenshot). Basically, I made a 2048^2 texture, and sectioned it off into 512^2 segments and covered these with larger and smaller texture (larger for details such as roofs and walls, since they will take up more physical space, smaller textures for smaller details), I then unwrapped as I pleased, adjusting my texture as I went, painting new layers onto it, ect. When I was finished, I created a new layer, on my texture and painted the damage detail.

the second screen shot show the scene with textures at half res for players on notebooks and older computers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  8. bgivenb

bgivenb

Due to the texturing method, I can still models with textures that feel high-res, even at 1/8 the resolution: The 2nd screenshot shows my scene with full res texture, and the 1st shows with 1/8th res (128px for the main map :O)

Attached Files:

9. Zedenox

Zedenox

wooo, my game will be something like this, but with a battleship or a boat, and different things!! good luck with your project, awesome!! :D

10. Patriick

Patriick

You have some great visuals here! Let's just hope the game plays as well as it looks... Nice texture work too congrats and keep it up :p

11. Meltdown

Meltdown

Nice work! Looking good so far.

12. bgivenb

bgivenb

@Patriick the coder, silentwarrier, is doing a fantastic job with the gameplay so I think it should be a very fun game

13. SilentWarrior

SilentWarrior

Hello!
    My name is Joao Carlos (SilentWarrior), I am the coder working on this along with bgivenb. I have been working on this for a long time now, on and off, until recently when I managed to find Given (very talented) and things really startoff.

I would like to share some screenshots. They are not as cool as Givens screenshots because code doesnt look pretty in a picture, however, I have been building visualizations along the way and taking screenshots aswell.

Hope you like it :

Here you can see a behavior tree for controlling the firing mecanisms in the tank maingun, stuff like line of sight checks, firing cooldowns, arc of fire checks, etc. I tried making it look as if there was a tank commander giving the orders.

And this is how it looks ingame with debug visual aids activated and a moving panel to simulate dynamic line of sight obstruction. The green line is green as long as theres partial view of the target, the red line casting from the base of the turret turns green if there is direct line of sight from where the gun can rotate and sucessfuly hit the target, the red line casting from the barrel turns green if there is a correct rotation and firing arc to sucessfully score a hit. The green grid on the ground shows my dynamic pathfinding grid, more on that further down.

The following 3 screenshows show how a building is destroyed in our game.
    State : Initial, also notice texture of the houses roof tiling and cracks on the wall, the shader will generate much more faked detail, exagerated so that the house looks as best as it can, while maintaining the RTS speficifications, this is done by sampling the damaged texture and bumpmap and an extra "detail" texture and blending it with the normal texture using a "detail" slider, by manipulating this slider and source detail textures we can create more variety of houses using a script.

State : Damaged, has several mid states, it is basically a shader I created that allows several textures to blend together nicely, Given will do the extra textures and the script will basically "burn" the texture into the other so the building gradually becomes dirty from smoke (Given explain it better with more screenshots in the first post)
    State: critical hit, start of crumbling down, small debree is spawned, aswell as smoke, etc

State: destroyed, final state, debree will slowly disapear or blend with the map (if it is too big to simply despawn).

The next 3 screenshots show a test of a shader to use in case a house gets valorized (with the right texture, can also be used to "create" holes in houses without touching the mesh), such as in a nuclear explosion, this was done with a house because it was nice and big to see the details, but will probably be used on other things.

3 screenshots showing the dynamic 2d grid pathfinding :
    It works much like a local influence map with very well defined falloff, the center black spots show areas of "no walkable" state, they are projected into the 2D grid using a OOBB algorithm, while the rest of the projection is done as AABB. I find this makes better paths than having everything doing wierd avoidance if the object is oriented a certain way. (same idea as in Company of Heroes, if it works for them should work for me)
    Closeup :

Dynamic to dynamic objects ( The blue line is the line the pathfinder calculates, the red line is the line the tanks "driver" should follow) :

Complex set of possible paths using different "walkable scores", each different color means one different walkable score. The blue line is the line the pathfinder calculates, the red line is the line the tanks "driver" should follow.

Low resolution follower influence map, other units can use this "trail" to guide themselves behind the "pack leader" :

And here is a higher resolution. Looks pretty but its probably overkill for the current planned use.

Some tanks burning on a test scene, very old picture, i think this test scene was part of an RTS starter kit, where I first started playing around with the idea of making my own RTS, also shows my UAV camera zoomed in the tank :

Abrams tank firing
    Dynamic suspension using raycasts :

And I think thats already too many screenshots :D

14. ivanzu

ivanzu

Nice work guys I had the exact idea few months ago but couldn't find any programmers,so if you need any help in modeling area you can contact me.

15. SevenBits

SevenBits

I am quite impressed with your vaporization method. Any chance you'll release that shader? :D

16. SilentWarrior

SilentWarrior

It is part of our very big destructable building shader, however, if you can program it yourself, I can explain how it works.

Except for a few details, it works by reading a guide textures RBG values for each pixel into a buffer, subtract the amount of the slider, leaving the alpha channel intact, and then apply those values to the Clip function. In order to have it displaying properly as transparent object you will have will have to tweak the RenderType and probably the Queue for the zbuffer too. This last step could probably be skipped for most applications tho.

17. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

18. SilentWarrior

SilentWarrior

19. bgivenb

bgivenb

20. giyomu

giyomu

Look like a cool project , keep it up !

21. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi,

i really like your efforts. but i would like to see some improvements on your terrain. why don’t you use bumpmapping on the terrain or just improved texture tiling? that would you give so much more visual impact…

lars