Search Unity

Bug UnityPlayer.dll makes build crash, runs fine in editor. How I could properly debug the build?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by carcasanchez, Jun 9, 2021.

1. carcasanchez

carcasanchez

Hello!
    So, recently in my development group, we are in a problematic situation.
    Our proyect, which has never given us problems, started to crash when built. Runs fine in editor.
    At first, we thought some objects in scene (which were part of a bigger GPU instancing system) were the cause, because the only difference with previous versions was their number. Indeed, deleting most of them solved the crash, and we thought we were on memory overflow situation. However, comparing
    Then, we found in some machines the app did not crashed. We found also that we were building in x86 architecture, and changing it to x86_64 fixed the crahses... but not in all pcs!
    I then searched for the error logs, and we found all logs, even from different target architectures, have the same error:

UnityPlayer.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module UnityPlayer.dll at 0023:7b4f6683

The access violation address is always the same.
    What bugs us is that the editor runs fine, but some devs have reported unusually low framerate.
    I have the sensation this is something in GPU instancing that is not being handled as it should be, and it's causing different problems depending on how the machine handles memory.
    Is there any recomendation you can give me? Does the violation address tell anything?
    The crash happens always on loading the scene with the instancing objects. I will perform further investigations to see if I can isolate more data.

2. Spelborea

Spelborea

I'm having the same issue without a clue it seems that this is a very relative situation for specifics projects but at same time I think that is a memory handle issue, allocation or memory conflict but not sure really. I created a topic about it and I beg for help too...I just moved my project to a new computer and this Crash caught me on the builded game. In editor runs everything fine.

3. carcasanchez

carcasanchez

I have filled a bug report some weeks ago and Unity remains silent. This is becoming a very big problem for us, and I would like if someone on Unity acknowledges they are at least looking at this issue.

4. Dev_UHG

Dev_UHG

Have you got a solution? I am running into the same issue. thanks!