Search Unity

Bug Unitypackage wont open anymore in Windows 10

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aladine, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Aladine

Aladine

Hi,

2 days ago, every .unitypackage file became "unknown" to Windows 10, i have to do the "open with", or go to properties and select Unity, the problem is that if i pick any .exe of the Unity Editor, whenever i double click these packages, they just open a new instance of the unity version that i select, when the expected behavior is to be opened in the current Unity project regardless of what version of unity am using.

At the moment am really stuck and can't at all unload the .unitypackage examples provided with the Amplify Shader Editor.

Possible causes:
    I uninstalled unity 2018.3 and unity 2019.1 because i already have 2018.4 and 2019.4
    then installed 2020.1.3.f1
    today because of this problem i uninstalled 2018.4, and installed it again (it is my main editor that i work with)
    but the problem still persists.

Any help please ?

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

I believe there's an Assets-> import option in the unity editor.

3. Aladine

Aladine

oh that worked, thanks!
    but still, i would love to get the usual double-click behavior back

4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Somewhere in windows there's a setting for which program opens which file type by default. It's a windows setting you have to go change.

5. Aladine

Aladine

am aware of that, but that create a brand new problem, am not sure if my original description wasn't enough so here is a more detailed example:

Let's say you have 3 versions of unity installed (2018, 2019 and 2020)
    And now you are working on a project in the 2018 version
    you double click on any .unitypackage file, and this package will be automatically imported to your current project.
    the same happens if you are working on a project in the 2019 ir 2020 version.

What am facing is this:

if you double click on a .unitypackage, it doesn't get imported in the current project.
    instead, it opens up a brand new instance of unity, and it uses whatever version you set in the Windows settings, so it doesn't open 2018 if you're currently working on 2018,
    if in the windows setting you chose the .exe of unity 2020, then no matter what version you currently have opened, unity the package will always be opened in a new instance of 2020, it doesn't even get opened in your current project to be imported.

6. mgear

mgear

7. Leo-Lady-Emily

Leo-Lady-Emily

I know this is a bit late but just...
    type into windows search "default" no quotes
    you will see Default Apps click that
    scroll down and click "Choose default apps by file type" and wait for it to load
    scroll down to the U section and you will see .unitypackage (Unity package file)
    click on the icon then choose Unity Editor

Attached Files:

Koguntetzu and DmitryGrodo like this.
  8. ArazIbrahim

ArazIbrahim

Thanks It's Working

9. Leo-Lady-Emily

Leo-Lady-Emily

thanks, worked great.