Search Unity

Question UnityLinker.exe fails when building UWP app on specific machine

Discussion in 'Windows' started by anthonyecaruso, Nov 30, 2020.

1. anthonyecaruso

anthonyecaruso

Hi, I'm trying to build a Unity UWP IL2CPP app on a specific machine, but I get the "UnityLinker.exe did not run properly" error when building on it, even with a completely empty project. I can build Unity UWP apps on other machines just fine with the same version of Unity, so I assume there's something special about this machine or the software it has installed. The only differences I'm aware of is that the machine that gets the error is Enterprise instead of Professional, and I don't have admin rights.

The error seems to come from ExtensionModule.cs, which I've only seen a few other users have issues with.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Windows edition: Windows 10 Enterprise
    Unity versions attempted: 2019.4.0f1 (Personal), 2019.3.4f1 (Personal)
    Latest Windows 10 SDK version installed: 10.0.19041.1
    Latest version of .NET framework installed: 4.8.03761
    Visual Studio 2019 version: 16.8.2

Error:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Can you post the full editor log? Looks like you managed to emit the important part of the failure :).

3. anthonyecaruso

anthonyecaruso

Hi, sorry, I guess I must've missed the other error. Either that, or one of the errors was missing in my non-test project. Either way, here's all the errors:

Error 1:
    Error 2:
    Error 3:
    Error 4:

4. anthonyecaruso

anthonyecaruso

Actually, looking through Error 1, I realized it has to do with FIPS, and I looked up other threads about it (like https://forum.unity.com/threads/webgl-will-only-publish-with-fips-disabled.468004/). It turns out that on the machine that errors, the FipsAlgorithmPolicy (at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\FipsAlgorithmPolicy) is enabled. It's disabled on the machine that works, and if I enable it on that machine, I get the same error. So I'll see if I can get this disabled on the machine that's erroring. Thanks for making me aware that I was missing the most important part of the error log! :D

Tautvydas-Zilys likes this.