Search Unity

UnityHub fails everytime you upgrade. Try to open a WebGL project in newer version of Unity

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by a436t4ataf, Nov 30, 2020.

1. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

1. Create a game, set the build target, be happy
    2. Upgrade Unity
    3. Try to open your project via Unity Hub.
    4. Now be sad. Because...
    5. Get an error message from the Hub saying that because you upgraded Unity you can no longer build your project, and your choices are "remove your build target (switch to desktop only)" or "crash/exit". No other options. You're now locked-out of your own project, unless you condemn yourself to tens of minutes of waiting.
    5. If you remove the build target, look forwards to the next 10-60 minutes of waiting for Unity to rebuild the wrong build-target just so you can open the Editor to get a link to install the missing components so you can switch back to the correct build-target.

Is there a workaround for this bug in the Hub? The Hub can see, without a doubt, that it shouldn't switch the build-target (whoever wrote the message for that popup dialog: you can see the problem, why didn't you fix it?), and that it should just let me open my UnityEditor - but it prevents me from doing so.

There is no option "install the missing build components" (which is the only option any sane user would ever want - but is the one thing missing).

2. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

@a436t4ataf Can you kindly share all the versions of the editor and Hub you are using and trying to upgrading to in order for us to duplicate the issue?

3. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

- 2019.4.1 = project old version
    - 2019.4.14 = new version
    - Hub: Whatever version you had live on the day I created the forum post! (It keeps overwriting itself without my permission, so I have no way of knowing what the hub version was that day. If there is a way to prevent this behavioud, I would love to hear it - it's a recurring problem and frusration that the Hub keeps overwriting itself)

4. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Same problem upgrading from:
    2019.4.14 -> 2019.4.16

The hub is such a pain. I really wish we could go back to the days when we had the UnityEditor, which actually worked, and did what everyone wanted, instead of having to use this always-worse hub-app :(.

5. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Unity Technologies

Just wanted to share that we don't replace Unity versions. Every single version is considered separate, either for minor or major changes. You can view them as separate versions.

6. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

I'm not sure how "replacing Unity versions" is relevant here?

I described the hub having its version replaced, not Unity.