Search Unity

UnityFurs release: simple Pixel Art to 3D Voxel converter

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by shchvova, Jun 13, 2012.

1. shchvova

shchvova

Idea in one picture:

Idea is simple: take several images and transform them to 3D object.
    Even more! One of option, is to convert images to particles in Shuriken particle system, which allows all kind of neat destruction effects.
    Check out Live Demo

And much more! This asset is absolutelly free to use, opensource and free as software could be :)

Free at:

Here is getting started from http://bitbucket.org/Shchvova/furs/

UnityFurs Rock!

This project is free and opensource. Please, support development, or just appreciate it by donating on demo page

This is documentation for UnityFurs package, amazing tool which allows
    one to create 3D mockups in seconds by drawing several simple images.
    Easy way to bring in some pixel/voxel 2D-3D art into your game.

Check out example “Demo” scene and prefab.

Quick Start
    * Script “FursParticle” utilize power of Shuriken particle:
    ** Attach script to GameObject by drag&drop it or via “Component/Rendering/Furs/Particle Fur”
    ** Particle System will be attached as well. This would be renderer for Furs.
    ** Set Particle System renderer material to SimpleColorBillboard shipped with this package.
    ** Setup Front and Left textures* (Back and Right are optional) and hit “Play” to see your Fur
    * Script using OpenGL to render models: FursQuads (much slower than Particle one):
    ** Attach script by using “Component/Rendering/Furs/GL Quad Fur”
    ** Setup textures* and material (SimpleColorBillboard in package is OK to start with)

*Textures requirements
    To get proper result, some recommendations is to be followed.
    * Use small textures. No more than 32x32
    * All textures should have same height
    * (IMPORTANT) In importer settings select Advanced Texture Type, Enable Read/Write and disable MipMaps generation
    * In format select Automatic Truecolor, RGB24 bit or RGBA32. Do not use lossy compressing.

Hints
    * For Particle Fur you can use particleSystem.Play() to resume movement of particles.
    It is easy to setup destruction effects with Shuriken and play them when required.
    * Changing GameObject scale will have no effect on Particle Fur, if applied when it is already displayed.
    * Play with Particle System parameters.

Important info
    This is free project. Inspired by free Furball Engine (http://furballz.net/engine/).

For issues, suggestions or contributions:

Send email to "furs at svoka.com",
    View sources/official issue tracker http://bitbucket.org/Shchvova/furs/,
    Or visit forum page in package description

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    mgear likes this.
  2. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

nice! thanks for making it free

3. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

This is really cool. I can't imagine what I would use it for in my game but it's still cool nonetheless. ;)

4. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

This is really neat! If you don't mind me asking, though, I have a couple questions. In your example scene, are you dynamically generating the bounding box? Also, I notice the buildings have some holes in the roof, why is this?

5. shchvova

shchvova

Holes because algorithm fails to calculate proper voxel for that point. There is option "Generate only frame" which will generate insides of mode, so there would not be holes in it.

Algorithm setups box collider, if "generate collider" is checked

BTW, it is free. Feel free to download and use. I can put code from demo project here, if someone interested.

6. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Looks really cool.

7. rstehwien

rstehwien

Looks great. I subscribed to the project on bitbucket. When I have a chance I'd like to give it a try.

I'd love to see the demo project. Thanks for making this available.

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

This tool is AMAZING !! Thanks dude for sharing with us!
    YOU ROCK!!!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  9. Fixet

Fixet

I'm using it right now, Thanks for the Plugin! I can now make a Cube World/3D Dot Game Heroes Style Game!

10. darkhog

darkhog

Too bad I didn't know about your tool earlier... Now too much of work is done using polygonal models and I wouldn't want this work to go to waste. Certainly will use this for my next game though!

One suggestion: Perhaps you could add (optional) bottom top sprites so "hole issue" won't be a problem?

One question: Can it be done with animated sprites? So I could generate animated things that way, like mobs and NPCs. Making script that would "switch" textures used to generate object won't be problem for me, but I wonder what performance would be and if it is possible to regenerate object at runtime.

11. AldeRoberge

AldeRoberge

What has happenned to this tool? Every links is dead. Does anyone have a backup?