Search Unity

UnityFS - Flight Simulation toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UnityFS, Feb 23, 2013.

1. UnityFS

UnityFS

2. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Really fantastic work...my mind has been exploding with ideas for this asset aside from the obvious. Sure would be incredible to have your player have to fly from location to location to solve clues and learn cultural history;) aside from learning how to actually fly.

Great works...a for sure purchase.

3. John-G

John-G

Thanks Chris, my Unity has started to crash :(
    Once I sort it will do a tutorial for fixing pivot points in 3ds max.

4. UnityFS

UnityFS

5. John-G

John-G

Wow fantastic video presentation - Terrain is amazing.

6. UnityFS

UnityFS

Just a sneak peak :) much more to be revealed about this very soon!

7. UnityFS

UnityFS

Just wanted to say a massive thankyou to all that have purchased so far. Blown away by the number of sales and positive feedback I have been getting. Keep the comments coming, any questions or feature requests just get in touch and I will try my best to help :)

Much more to come!

8. BigBite

BigBite

Hi UnityFS. First off, great work on turning a "labor of love" into an awesome Unity Store package. I would like to buy it, but I do have one question. You mentioned in an earlier post that the plug-in can scale, by choosing between performance and accuracy, so does that mean that you can get an arcade like flying quality with some realistic mechanics? For instance; the plane my feel arcady but you get the ability to stall and what not. Could this be achieved by adjusting the simulation accuracy and maybe toggling on/off some features? Thanks for your hard work and forgive me for any incoherent sentences that I may have just typed, just got off of work and I don't have the energy to proof read my post ;)

9. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi BigBite,

Thanks for getting in touch! I will try to answer your question as best as I can but to be honest 'arcadey' is a pretty subjective thing.

Lowering the divisions of the wing will reduce the accuracy but it won't really change how the sim feels or responds. The best analogy I can give is a 3d mesh. A low poly character still looks like a high poly character but it lacks some of the detail ( more triangles less smooth surfaces, some of the detail lost ) - It doesn't suddenly look like a cartoon just because it is lower detail. This is also true of the Wings in UnityFS. You will lose some of the accuracy but ultimately the sim will respond in a very realistic manner just not quite as close to the real life version of that wing would.

In terms of making UnityFS feel arcadey this could mean lots of different things to different people. I'll go over a few options that are available however:

Making the flight sim more forgiving : Super accurate sims can be difficult to fly - this doesn't have to be the case, adjusting the lift and drag curves could make planes unstallable. Equally you could have a huge tolerance on the angle of attack required to stall or have a really mild stall. UnityFS utilities the animation curve editor for these curves so it is really easy to edit them if you'd like to use your own data rather than real aerofoil data.

Making the controls more twitchy : Tweaking the input as well as giving the aircraft much bigger control surfaces would make the aircraft feel much more twitchy.

Faster aircraft, more powerful engines, more lift from wings could also really help give you that arcadey feel.

Ultimately it all boils down to how you want it to feel and a lot of it may not actually come from the flight model but instead come from the gameplay - for example, flying through hoops, on a timer, quick reset if you crash all those things will really make it feel more like an arcade game. So it really is a case of picking and combining the elements you desire..

I hope that helps :)
    Chris

10. w3dgo

w3dgo

Awesome package! I think this is the most realistic flight simulation package in Unity Store. And I really like the workflow of setting up the wings, control surfaces, CoG, etc. very impressive.

11. w3dgo

w3dgo

I have some questions before I buy this package.
    1. Can I get into a stall spin while I performing a high G maneuver with a high AoA? And if so can I recovery from it?
    2. Can I apply my own force to the plane? such as 37mm cannon which are firing in the plane shakes the plane a little bit, strong wind, or getting shot.
    3. Different atmosphere at different sea level causes the plane perform differently.
    4. High-speed compressibility problem which leads the plane hard to maneuver.
    5. I want the players design their own planes, they can add wings, fuselages, parts to their planes, kinda like KSP. So can I add drag, mass, lift on each plane parts?
    6. How about supersonic jets?
    7. Can I get the information about what is the top speed of my plane, what speed it is going to stall, how good or bad the plane is going to accelerate. etc before flying the plane.
    8. Can I have flaps? combat flaps, landing flaps?
    OK, I think that's all, and I know these are some very small things. and even without these someone can achieve a pretty nice flight simulator. But more realistic is always a good thing. Isn't it. :p
    Sorry for my bad English, btw, this is my very first post on any of English forums. So I hope you can understand what I'm saying.
    Thank you Chris, and God bless.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  12. Goofy420

Goofy420

This looks awesome. Just wondering if the supersonic compression has been added yet?
    Also, have you implemented variable wing aircraft, I see that you had that planned.

13. Goofy420

Goofy420

I bought it. Just so you know, the ConfigureInput doesn't work because input.dat doesn't exist. Using Unity420

14. UnityFS

UnityFS

Thanks for the purchase.

This is fixed in the 1.03 update which you should be prompted to download as soon as you click on the aircraft through the auto updater.

Alternatively you can download from here:
    http://chris-cheetham.com/unityfs/input/input.dat

And place in the UnityFS/Data directory.

Sorry for the inconvenience! Hope that answers your question :)

15. Goofy420

Goofy420

Can you post it to the asset store. I don't have an autoupdater. Theres an autoupdate.dat but no autoupdate.cs
    Thanks for the download link, that seems to be easier

16. UnityFS

UnityFS

You do have the autoupdater (there is no autoupdater.cs) :) It will check for updates once a day.. (Assuming you have an internet connection whilst editing )

17. Goofy420

Goofy420

I live in the Mojave and depend on a cell phone pdanet for internet. If it detects a mobile connection will it update? My OCD and I must have the update, lol.

p.s. Just checked it out and it's really nice. I didn't think this was possible with Unity, but I can say you have the only real flight simulator out there.

18. Goofy420

Goofy420

There it goes. I had to actually click the airplane. I heard that but ignored it, lol.
    Thanks for the help.

19. Fish_Cakes

Fish_Cakes

Hi,
    I'm really interested in purchasing your package. I have a quick question first though: I would like to change the control input to mobile accelerometer and gui controls. Does the way you have set up control make it possible to port it to mobile (the way you have it for joystick as well) or would that require something else that is beyond the scope of what is currently available?

20. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Fish_Cakes, thanks for your post! There are no mobile controls included in 1.03 however this has been requested quite a bit so I intend to include them in the next update, it's a fairly quick job :) I will get on this next week and it will be available very shortly after. I hope that answers your question!
    Thanks,
    Chris

21. Fish_Cakes

Fish_Cakes

Thanks for replying so fast.... I'll wait for the update. Meanwhile I see to buying the asset. Thanks again sir :D

22. theSoenke

theSoenke

How did you create the awesome terrain in the video?

23. John-G

John-G

Hi Chris, where does Unity store its update package. Just like to keep my assets backup to current versions. ;)

Also does the Auto Updater update the changelog.txt (mine is still showing V1.00)
    I believe it was V1.02 you sent me or could it still be V1.00.

24. UnityFS

UnityFS

You're welcome Fish_Cakes :)

theSoenke I am working very closely with Nathanial the genius behind TerrainComposer and WorldComposer much more to be announced on that soon - but if you are looking for awesome terrain those packages are a must have - I can not recommend them enough!!

Hi John. The autoupdate will be downloaded into the UnityFS/Data folder. I also have a repository of all versions and changes so should you need a specific version I am happy to send it to you. The changelog should have been updated but there is a highly technical reason why you aren't seeing any changes there - I forgot ;) - I will update the changelog in the next version, the only change was a very quick fix to include the input.dat - Impressed you spotted that :)

25. John-G

John-G

Like wise I recommend both Terrian/WorldComposser packages with UnityFS both these are simply amazing and with the new RTPV3 support terrain will be truly unbeatable.
    After all ya gonna need nice scenery looking out them cockpit views ;).

UnityFS/Data folder :- Nice one thanks.

26. Litwin

Litwin

@UnityFS
    UnFS have support to Boeing? (Fraps, reverse-enginner, etc...)

27. Goofy420

Goofy420

I think it has support for everything.
    I'm mostly computer illiterate but was able to prototype a combat style within one day using poorly implemented mobile controls.

28. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

John G. What is this RTPV3 that you speak of? Thanks

29. John-G

John-G

http://u3d.as/content/tomasz-stobierski/rtp-relief-terrain-pack/3Jy

He has v3 coming out soon as a free update from this package.
    He is working with Nathaniel to fully support terraincomposer.

Send Tomasz a pm if you buy this and ask for latest version. ;)

30. John-G

John-G

Very nice, never thought to use this for jets. Especially with these slower moving types.
    Would make a nice tank killing game.

31. gameplaydev

gameplaydev

Awesome job! Love the A10 :) Would love to see what others are doing with UnityFS! Please share your creations :)

32. unitylover

unitylover

Making progress with my terrain. Man, these huge terrains take quite a bit of time and effort!!

$unityfs.jpg

33. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Would be cool to see the A10 with WorldComposer terrain and RTP3. I'm working on a demo for UnityFS+WorldComposer+RTP3 with 250 km terrain. If you want terrain to look more detailed also up close, RTP3 is the way to go. Tomasz has taken Relief Terrain Pack 3 behond anything.

Best Regards,
    Nathaniel

34. John-G

John-G

Hi Nathaniel

How you handling streaming in detailed tiled terrain.
    Will it be part of terraincomposer v2?

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello John,

I will make a special extension for it after releasing TC2. But what I do now is have a very detailed terrain for 14 km, then lower res for 50 km, and outer 250 km is again lower res. But if you stay within the 14 km the lower res is almost not noticable.

36. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

This looks fantastic!

37. ParkerMan

ParkerMan

I picked this package a couple of days ago and need some help setting up the engine scripts for B-17 Bomber.

The b-17 has 4 GR-1820-G2 engine's and what settings should I use for the engine.

Performance
    Power output: 1,000 hp (746 kW) at 2,200 rpm for takeoff
    Specific power: 0.46 hp/in³ (20.88 kW/L)
    Compression ratio: 6.45:1
    Specific fuel consumption: 0.6 lb/(hp•h) (362 g/(kW•h))
    Oil consumption: 0.35-0.39 oz/(hp•h) (13-15 g/(kW•h))
    Power-to-weight ratio: 0.84 hp/lb (1.39 kW/kg)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-17_Flying_Fortress

38. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi ParkerMan,

Thanks for getting in touch :) I intend to make a video tutorial on this very shortly. The current engine system uses a fairly basic thrust model at present both for ease of use and flexibility. Your best bet is to have a look on wikipedia at the max speed / cruise speed for the aircraft and tweak the thrust of all the engines so that you achieve realistic settings once in the cruise. You can tweak the power curve also if you find that acceleration for example is too slow initially ( by curving the thrust off at higher speeds )

If you need me to explain in more detail by all means pm me or send me an email. I will try and get the video up very soon.

I hope that answers your question, any others just ask :)

39. ParkerMan

ParkerMan

A detailed video on engines would be great, the wheel/engine video does not get into a lot of detail.

The B-17 max speed is 287 mph and cruise is 182.

I sent PM with invoice #.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  40. UnityFS

UnityFS

Got your PM replying now :)

41. Goofy420

Goofy420

I'm waiting for Terraland 3 to be released for terrain. I like the fact that it uses ESRI to generate heightmap terrain realtime using satellite imagery.
    I like your terrain UnityLover, but that looks out of my knowledge base and I don't want to buy anything that I can't try first after the last $400.00 being mostly useless assets that immediately were abandoned by the devs. Since I've used ESRI, I have high hopes for it.
    I'm moving my time back to UFPS while I wait for the release of tl3. When I return to this project in a couple months, I bet there are many awesome planes and terrains completed by you guys; can't wait to see. :)

p.s. Please add the NACA 4212 Aerofoil

Edit: Terraland 3 is $300, so I will go with Terrain Composer and hope for the same results Unitylover got. All I really need is Bosnia and Iraq if there are already acceptable terrains anyone has for sale?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  42. UnityFS

UnityFS

Hi Goofy! You can add your own custom aerofoils in UnityFS (not as hard as it sounds). I will make a video this evening outlining the process and add it to the tutorials section :)

43. Goofy420

Goofy420

I think someone would need to be a physics professor to figure out all the math involved in creating an airfoil. I tried, but gave up just after mass/weight * thickness:width
    $0cd31a5e8db6e8435a19e37e41e319d9.png

Edit: Well, you have thought of it all it seems. It's a visual editor and I particularly like the Javafoil addition; no math required, Nice!

Another question is ceiling. If I break the ceiling at around 55,000 feet, then the aircraft kind of freezes in time and space.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  44. UnityFS

UnityFS

Aircraft Freezes? That's the dynamic aircraft icing simulation *cough* ;) Not seen that one - can't say I have ever got above 6-7 thousand feet. I think you have a UnityFS altitude record there! I will do a bit of debugging and see if I can figure out what is going on..

Did you figure out how to get the JavaFoils into Unity FS? Happy to pm you the details now if you are waiting on it - otherwise it will all be in the video...

45. UnityFS

UnityFS

Just PM'd you details of how to import java foil aerofoils into UnityFS incase you cant wait for video :)

46. Goofy420

Goofy420

I was just playing with the ceiling. 15,000RPM and 10,000lbs of thrust per turbine is unrealistic for this truck (maybe the Blackbird). I think I may have entered a stationary orbit around the Earth, that's what happened. lol

I can wait for the video, much appreciated. Right now I'm working on mobile controls since I found a girl who can make my dumptruck @ 5500 poly's including virtual cockpit.

I have to say, this is one of the few assets I've bought in the past few months that's actually worth more than I paid. It's sad how much crap is released, then immediately abandoned which causes good asset sales to suffer and people to pirate.

47. Goofy420

Goofy420

Thank you, I appreciate the help.

48. MotuProprio

MotuProprio

What a wonderful asset!

49. UnityFS

UnityFS

Thanks Motu :) It's great to see so many people enjoying it!

50. pinchmass

pinchmass

looks great , just wondering what your planning next, will their be different plane presets in the future ?

well done great asset